X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotc

I am considering ROTC at my 4 year State University, as a transfer student from my 2 Year Community College.

I have transferred enough credits so that I will need to be at this State College for only two years and I plan to enroll for Fall 2010.

Is there any body who can advise me on my hypothetical time frame, in terms of when I would attend Leader Trainer Course and the other one (forget the name).....

will I still need to attend Basic training and if so when?

would I be able to attend SMP as well, during my two years of college, and does this fulfill two years of the six year officer commitment?

Must I attend my BOLC II and III immediatly after graduation,June 2012, hopefully) or is there some leeway for delay, say approximately one year?,

and when do they schedule the BOLC II and III throughout the year... I was considering MP.
    Last edited by SeanR87; December 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM.

Re: Rotc

[QUOTE=SeanR87]I am considering ROTC at my 4 year State Unniversity, as a transfer student from my 2 Year Community College.

I have transferred enough credits so that I will need to be at this State College for only two years and I plan to enroll for Fall 2010.

Is there any body who can advise me on my hypothetical time frame, in terms of when I would attend Leader Trainer Course and the other one (forget the name).....

will I still need to attend Basic training and if so when?

would I be able to attend SMP as well, during my two years of college, and does this fulfill two years of the six year officer commitment?

Must I attend my BOLC II and III immediatly after graduation,June 2012, hopefully) or is there some leeway for delay, say approximately one year?,

and when do they schedule the BOLC II and III throughout the year... I was considering MP.[/QUOTE]

1. You will need a minimum of four semesters for ROTC.
    2. LTC will be required for you before you enter the Advanced ROTC course. Cadets usually go the summer between Soph. and Jr years. Since you are planning to transfer as a JR you need to go this summer. LDAC is the other camp, and you will go the summer before you graduate/commission.
    3. BCT will not be necessary.
    4. Yes, but...SMP will require being a drilling member of the NG or Army Reserves. That does require BCT and AIT. No, it will not take time off your officer commiment because you won't be an officer yet. It will count toward retirement and pay raises. If you go to BCT/AIT before you join ROTC you will not have to go to LTC.
    5. BOLC II will not be an issue because it will not exist past this year. Why do you want to wait? I think you have up to 18 months with one 6 month extension to start BOLC. Check me on this I'm not 100% sure.
    6. BOLC II see above. BOLC III for MP has a largish number of classes that start through the year. I can't find the schedule I had for the coming year to use as an example. Remember, you may not be able to say, "I want to branch MP." It will depend on if you decide to go active, or if you decide to stay reserve component. If you stay RC it will depend on how your state's Army Reserve or National Guard does officer branching.

You need to contact the ROTC Recruiting Operations Officer (ROO) at the school you want to attend soon. If you need LTC it may not be super easy to get a seat this summer. I'm working for an ROTC program now. We got an email stating that LTC seats will be limited to 700-1300 seats this summer and to expect the lower end of the range. This compares to ~1800 seats in the recent past.
    Last edited by cyall; December 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I would want to wait because I was hoping to get a Police Academy seat that year and I don't want to have to go through all the testing procedures again.

If BOLC II will not exist anymore, what is going to replace it?
      If you could find that schedule it would be most helpful.

Just curious, after I graduate, what is the training I would undergo before I am an "official" 2LT. BOLC III remains, I assume?

Comment

If I'm right about the time you have for BOLC after graduating you should have time for the police academy.

Nothing is replacing BOLC II and it is going away. The Army took some skills it deemed essential out of BOLC II and added them to BOLC III. My BOLC III is now about three and a half weeks longer than before. BOLC III is going to be called BOLC B from what I've been told.

Once you graduate and commission you are a 2LT, but you will have to attend your branch training which is BOLC.

Comment

The Police Academy I'd like to attend would run from July - December of that year. Then there is a probationary period I'd prefer not to interupt. So if I have the option of waiting I'd like to.

Thats Interesting...so how long do you think the MP Branch course would take me to complete after BOLC goes away?

Comment

No. That is my class date. Like I said above, there are a lot of MP BOLC classes through the year. As an example, here is a list of some of the classes for MP BOLC for 2010 from ATRRS. You can go to [url]https://www.atrrs.army.mil/default.asp[/url], click on course catalogue, pick your fiscal year, and select 31A for the officer AOC menu.

Class Schedule
            FY: 2010 School: 191 Course: 7-19-C20B Phase: Course Length: 13 Weeks 0.0 Days
            Course Title: MILITARY POLICE BASIC OFFICER LEADER-BRANCH
            Class Maximum: 48 Class Optimum: 45 Class Minimum: 25

Class Report Date Start Date End Date Capacity Class Type
            003 07 Mar 2010 08 Mar 2010 09 Jun 2010 49 Resident
            004 04 Apr 2010 05 Apr 2010 12 Jul 2010 49 Resident
            005 28 Apr 2010 29 Apr 2010 03 Aug 2010 49 Resident
            006 26 May 2010 27 May 2010 31 Aug 2010 49 Resident
            007 06 Jul 2010 07 Jul 2010 07 Oct 2010 49 Resident
            008 28 Jul 2010 29 Jul 2010 02 Nov 2010 49 Resident
            009 29 Aug 2010 30 Aug 2010 10 Dec 2010 49 Resident
            010 26 Sep 2010 27 Sep 2010 25 Jan 2011 49 Resident
            Last edited by cyall; December 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Contracting is really a ROTC term to describe when a cadet agrees to finish the program and commits to becoming an officer. I commissioned through OCS. I am currently on full time NG orders working at a ROTC program for my state's Recruiting and Retention Battalion.

BTW officers who access through ROTC incur an eight year obligation not six.
              Last edited by cyall; December 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM.

Comment

thats cool.

Is it easy to get full time work in the Guard or do you have to know somebody?

And would they let you keep it for 20 years?

Comment

Just curious,

Does the 6 year commitment begin when they pin on the LT Bars (after graduation, I presume?)
                  Or is it after BOLC B ?
                  And if it is after BOLC B, In the event that you do not go to BOLC B immediately after graduation, would you have one or two years "TIS" anyway?

Can you be deployed in the 2 year IRR portion of your commission time frame?
                  Last edited by SeanR87; December 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

ROTC has an eight year commitment. It starts on your date of rank which is the day you commission. The Army can call you back to duty any time forever as long as you have a commission.

Comment

That used to be a larger problem for officers whose 8 year commitment had ended and thought they were free of their military obligation. Officers once had to actively resign their commissions or they remained in the IRR, and subject to call up, indefinitely. [URL="http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/123513p.pdf"]DOD Directive 125.13[/URL] now has a provision for officers to be released from the IRR within two years of the expiration of their MSO (i.e. NLT than 10 years from being commissioned), without having to actively resign. Officers wishing to remain in the IRR now must take positive steps to do so.

Comment

I have spoken with an ROTC affiliate and was told that with my 2.4 GPA I would not be able to contract. In order to get a 2.5, I would have to take some more classes. Would I be able to contract in the Spring, before LTC, so that I may have the ROTC program pay for that semesters tuition?
                        Last edited by SeanR87; December 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I think he is wrong. As far as I know, there is no min. GPA to take ROTC classes. However, a cadet must have a 2.0 to enter the advanced program. Scholarship cadets must have a 2.5 to contract. You are not currently on scholarship, so you are free to contract. Once contracted you must maintain a 2.0, which you have.

In any event, I think you should be able to contract in the spring. Once you meet the requirements I don't know of any reason you would have to wait to sign.

From Cadet Command Reg 145-1...

[quote]3-12. Requirements for the advanced course and the basic camp
                          In addition to the general requirements for enrollment, a student enrolled in the advanced course or for the basic camp must meet the following requirements:

a. Academic and ROTC status (10 USC 2104). The student must meet the following requirements:

(1) Have an established cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 system. Exception: Entering freshman at an Military Junior College (MJC) and prior service enlistees who were participants in the Army College Fund Veteran's Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) and are entering freshman as follows:

(a) MJC freshman — 2.0 cumulative high school GPA and a scholastic aptitude test score of 850 or an American college test score of 17.

(b) Prior service — score of 110 or higher on the general technical aptitude area of the Army Classification Battery.

(2) Be enrolled in and attending as a full-time student (according to the school's criteria) a recognized course of instruction producing a baccalaureate degree, advanced degree, or an advanced education program at a fully accredited 4-year degree granting institution or at a fully accredited associate degree granting institution that has been recognized as having established formal linkage with a fully accredited 4-year degree granting institution.

(3) Have satisfactorily completed the ROTC basic course, or received credit on the basis of other previous military training or service (see chap 5 ), or satisfactorily completed basic camp.

b. Scholastic aptitude. Academic potential.

c. Officer potential. The student must possess qualifications for becoming an effective Army officer. Leadership potential will be emphasized as an important factor in selection for the advanced course. Applicants must possess officer-like qualifications as evidenced by their appearance, record, personality, scholarship, extracurricular activities, and aptitude for military training.[/quote]

Comment

Thanks for writing, I am not looking for a scholarship...I am approximately four semesters away from graduation, and am considering taking classes this Spring.

I was informed by way of a National Guard handbook, received at a recruiters office, that ROTC will pay for a cadets tuition as well as the individual receiving a monthly tax free allowance, regardless of scholarship.

A Captain I spoke to on the phone affiliated with the school said a 2.5 is needed to contract.

Comment

Oh I thought a scholarship required a GPA higher than 2.5...

so assuming I get my GPA up to 2.5 by the fall, I could recieve a scholarship just by asking?

Comment

Working...
                              X