X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncharacterized Discharge

The short version is I enlisted in June 2008 was scheduled to attend basic the summer of 2009. However in February 2009 I received a discharge, on my discharge it says a few things which I have no idea what they mean as I never went through basic or anything of the sort. Was curious if anyone knew what they meant.

Type of Discharge: Uncharacterized
    Additional Instructions: Re-code (3) Records will be closed out and forwarded as required by NGR 600-200.
    ASG-LOSS-RSN: PE
    CHAR-SEP: Y
    CURR-ORG-IDENT: W

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Uncharacterized Discharge

[QUOTE=Miles]The short version is I enlisted in June 2008 was scheduled to attend basic the summer of 2009. However in February 2009 I received a discharge, on my discharge it says a few things which I have no idea what they mean as I never went through basic or anything of the sort. Was curious if anyone knew what they meant.

Type of Discharge: Uncharacterized
    Additional Instructions: Re-code (3) Records will be closed out and forwarded as required by NGR 600-200.

Thanks for any help you can provide![/QUOTE]

May I ask why you were discharged?

Comment

[QUOTE=hrotccadet]May I ask why you were discharged?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the long read.

Sure although I am not sure what the official reason was that the National Guard used. Orginally it was for a medical condition in my right knee, after a weekend of RSP drill I woke up and couldn't bend my right leg. We went to urgent care they ordered an MRI we took the MRI to an orthopedic surgeon he noticed fluid, bone fragments and calicum deposits in my knee. He told me any strenious physically activity would result in my knee not bending and I would have to be off my feet for about a week.

My recruiter for orginally recruited me was reassigned and his replacement was still in recruiting school, so we contacted another recruiter near our area who works with our RSP. Gave him the letter from the orthopedic surgeon, the surgeon wrote I was unfit for military service unless I had surgery. That recruit didn't do much he basically took the letter but didn't do anything about it. RSP wanted me to show up and just sit out of physical activties however we didn't see a point in going when my recruiter wasn't helping the situation nor RSP. I was 17 at the time so my parents barred me from attending, my orginal recruiter said they could revoke thier consent for me to join anytime before I was 18. They wished to do so, the guard wasn't hearing it.

Family sought a military lawyer he wasn't to fluent in NG regulations in regards to RSP. Couple of months went by nothing happened, by then I was 18 so we contacts our Congresswomen with the situation she helped greatly. Wrote a couple letters the guard responded said they were investigating the situation. I recieved two phone calls one from a MSG and one from a COL. They were asking me questions, the COL said "Do you want to stay in the military?" I said no, he thanked me for my honesty and that was that. The next month I recieved a discharge. So I am not sure under what pretense it was for.

The lettters recieved from the guard to my Congresswomen made it seem that cause my recruiter was reassigned they never recieved word of my injury or the fact that my parents wanted me out. So I really am not sure at all for what reason I was discharged.

Comment

[QUOTE=Miles]Sorry for the long read.

Sure although I am not sure what the official reason was that the National Guard used. Orginally it was for a medical condition in my right knee, after a weekend of RSP drill I woke up and couldn't bend my right leg. We went to urgent care they ordered an MRI we took the MRI to an orthopedic surgeon he noticed fluid, bone fragments and calicum deposits in my knee. He told me any strenious physically activity would result in my knee not bending and I would have to be off my feet for about a week.

My recruiter for orginally recruited me was reassigned and his replacement was still in recruiting school, so we contacted another recruiter near our area who works with our RSP. Gave him the letter from the orthopedic surgeon, the surgeon wrote I was unfit for military service unless I had surgery. That recruit didn't do much he basically took the letter but didn't do anything about it. RSP wanted me to show up and just sit out of physical activties however we didn't see a point in going when my recruiter wasn't helping the situation nor RSP. I was 17 at the time so my parents barred me from attending, my orginal recruiter said they could revoke thier consent for me to join anytime before I was 18. They wished to do so, the guard wasn't hearing it.

Family sought a military lawyer he wasn't to fluent in NG regulations in regards to RSP. Couple of months went by nothing happened, by then I was 18 so we contacts our Congresswomen with the situation she helped greatly. Wrote a couple letters the guard responded said they were investigating the situation. I recieved two phone calls one from a MSG and one from a COL. They were asking me questions, the COL said "Do you want to stay in the military?" I said no, he thanked me for my honesty and that was that. The next month I recieved a discharge. So I am not sure under what pretense it was for.

The lettters recieved from the guard to my Congresswomen made it seem that cause my recruiter was reassigned they never recieved word of my injury or the fact that my parents wanted me out. So I really am not sure at all for what reason I was discharged.[/QUOTE]

sounds like you got out for the knee problem. What I'm seeing is they left it up to you to either get the surgery and stay in or not get the surgery and get discharged and since you told them you didn't want to stay in they discharged you. Since you hadn't been to basic yet you had no real obligation yet anyways. This is just what I'm getting from what you are saying though.

Comment

[QUOTE=akamilitarygirl]sounds like you got out for the knee problem. What I'm seeing is they left it up to you to either get the surgery and stay in or not get the surgery and get discharged and since you told them you didn't want to stay in they discharged you. Since you hadn't been to basic yet you had no real obligation yet anyways. This is just what I'm getting from what you are saying though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply does anyone know what the letters mean?

Comment

The letters are just personnel system codes that are short-hand for your situation.

PE = pre initial active duty for training (IADT). It means you didn't got to BCT or AIT before you were discharged.

Y = Uncharacterized discharge.

W = No assigned organization at time of discharge

Comment

[QUOTE=MAJ Powers]The letters are just personnel system codes that are short-hand for your situation.

PE = pre initial active duty for training (IADT). It means you didn't got to BCT or AIT before you were discharged.

Y = Uncharacterized discharge.

W = No assigned organization at time of discharge[/QUOTE]

Thanks so the only real way to find out why I was discharged is to contact a recruiter? Like for the purpose of reenlisting at a later time.

Comment

Why do you want to re-enlist after getting a Congresswoman involved to get out? Also, from your own words my analysis is you received your discharge for not continuing to attend RSP, as the recruiter with whom you worked never passed on the ortho's letter or the fact that your parents wished to withdraw consent to enlist. If RSP never saw that doctor's letter, the knee more than likely had nothing to do with your discharge.
                Last edited by MAJ Powers; November 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=MAJ Powers]Why do you want to re-enlist after getting a Congresswoman involved to get out?[/QUOTE]

I joined when I was seventeen majority of it was impulse, I was in JROTC and totally into the military and really wanted to join. Then I sort of had buyers remorse if you will after my knee started acting up. Questioning if I should have joined when I looked back there were more things I questioned. My recruiter basically screwed me out of my MOS so I was enlisting with a job I had no interest doing at all.

Now I am in college graduating in two year with a dual-bachelors just interested in possibly reenlisting.

Comment

Fair enough Miles. Good luck with the knee and your goals in life.

Comment

[QUOTE=Miles]I joined when I was seventeen majority of it was impulse, I was in JROTC and totally into the military and really wanted to join. Then I sort of had buyers remorse if you will after my knee started acting up. Questioning if I should have joined when I looked back there were more things I questioned. My recruiter basically screwed me out of my MOS so I was enlisting with a job I had no interest doing at all.

Now I am in college graduating in two year with a dual-bachelors just interested in possibly reenlisting.[/QUOTE]

What are you majoring in?

Comment

Computer Networks and Network Security

Comment

Thank goodness you didn't major in the liberal arts.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chaplain4me]Thank goodness you didn't major in the liberal arts.[/QUOTE]

Ha yeah I am guess they're not looking for anyone with one lol. I spoke with a NG recruiter he really helped me with my situation explaining wavers and all that stuff he said the NG isn't issuing RE3 waivers at the time no problem however. I will be waiting a bit before finally deciding if I wish to try and reenlist.

Comment

Did you even have the surgery for your knee? It makes no sense to evaluate whether a military career is something you want to pursue if your not even fit for any physical activity. Surgery is just the beginning also; rehabilitation is another long process.

Comment

Working...
                              X