X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing APFT, remedial PT?

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

My fiance is away doing MOS-T at the moment, at an active duty school. She can pass an APFT (and has a current passing DA 705), but has fallen out of the PT formation runs. So, she's being put on remedial PT.

I swear I remember reading somewhere that as long as the soldier can pass APFT, he/she cannot be made to do remedial PT outside of normal duty hours. If the soldier can pass APFT but not meet unit standards, he/she can be made to do remedial PT only during normal duty hours.

Is my memory fading on me? Can anyone validate or definitively dismiss this notion?

Thanks.

Re: Passing APFT, remedial PT?

Your chain of command can issue PT prettuy much whenever they want. Formation runs are a lot slower and easier. That's a weird one.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frisco]Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

My fiance is away doing MOS-T at the moment, at an active duty school. She can pass an APFT (and has a current passing DA 705), but has fallen out of the PT formation runs. So, she's being put on remedial PT.

I swear I remember reading somewhere that as long as the soldier can pass APFT, he/she cannot be made to do remedial PT outside of normal duty hours. If the soldier can pass APFT but not meet unit standards, he/she can be made to do remedial PT only during normal duty hours.

Is my memory fading on me? Can anyone validate or definitively dismiss this notion?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You want someone to provide a regulation that she can cite to get out of it... as if "blank dash blank blank blank says that you can't make me do this" is going to help?

Why is the ridiculously low standard of a passing AFPT (especially for females) good enough?

Perhaps "suck it up, it'll help you" would be a better response than the one you're looking for here...

Comment

Thanks, chd, for reminding me of exactly the kind of helpful response that led me to stop coming around here.

fwiw, she's now running at an elevation 4600 feet higher than she's used to, and she's a good twenty years older than the AIT kids. There's a reason the APFT run times get slower as we get older.

Comment

SteveLord - thanks.

The heck of it is that she wasn't the only MOS-T to fall out of the run, but she was the only one with the integrity to fall into the remedial formation with the AIT soldiers at the end of the run. The other MOS-T fall outs just snuck back into formation with their team.

Excellent example to set for the young soldiers.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frisco]Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any regulation regarding remedial PT standards. I do know that when you're active duty, you're under Uncle Sam's control 24/7 which I'm sure you know what that can entitle. If this remedial PT after hours is affecting something in a major way (affecting studies, mental health, etc.), she should take the issue up the chain of command. From past experience, it's always best to have a few alternative solutions to present instead of simply going up and mentioning a grievance. Therefore you're not looked upon as a whiner.

Comment

Frisco,

The best thing to tell your wife is to suck it up and drive on. I would have to drop dead before I dropped on a formation run or worst yet get on the weanie wagon.

I agree joes will be joes and try to cheat the system. Your wife seems like she has some good leadership traits by stepping up and lining up in the remedial PT. She needs the PT no matter what the elavation is.

She is representing the ARNG and you know what the BIG ARMY thinks of ARNG and AR! Nothing wrong with getting to standard of AD counterparts. This is the new Guard no more "one weekend a month two weeks a year" mentality.

Sorry you haven't been on the site..We always try to KEEP IT REAL:D. No malice intended just straigh scoop.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frisco]Thanks, chd, for reminding me of exactly the kind of helpful response that led me to stop coming around here.

fwiw, she's now running at an elevation 4600 feet higher than she's used to, and she's a good twenty years older than the AIT kids. There's a reason the APFT run times get slower as we get older.[/QUOTE]

Must be at Ft. Huachuca! I really have no advice for her. I mean unless it is affecting her school work because she is doing remedial PT instead of running then she should bring it up. Otherwise she should just think of how good of shape she will be in when she is done.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]Must be at Ft. Huachuca! I really have no advice for her. I mean unless it is affecting her school work because she is doing remedial PT instead of running then she should bring it up. Otherwise she should just think of how good of shape she will be in when she is done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's her concern. Between getting from and to the MOS-T barracks from the training area and the PT area, it's cutting into what little time she has to concentrate on academics outside of class.

We've already talked about what good shape she'll be in when she finishes - I know she'll be running circles around my sorry (self).

Mom's Mistake - I've spoken with her about talking to the cadre if it continues to be a major issue. She's reticent, because she doesn't want to project the wrong image to the IETs.

7011USMC - I appreciate the support. For the most part, I think she's doing a very good job of presenting solid leadership - she's just chewing my ear off about it rather than whining to the cadre or around the troops.

I'm still certain I've read that regulation, though...

Comment

Took me forever, but here is what I have. Since she is in school, she is under TRADOC, which is TR 350-6. TR 350-6 mentions the IET Standardized Physical Training Guide, which can be found [URL="http://www.armytoolbag.com/Tools/PT/IED_PT.pdf"]here[/URL]. The IET SPT mentions that AR 350-1 handles Remedial PT, so I went to AR 350-1, Ch 4, Para 4-13a(4):

(4) Special conditioning programs are appropriate for Soldiers who have difficulty meeting unit goals or Army standards. Such programs will not be punitive; they must be designed to improve the fitness level of Soldiers. Additional training sessions are not always a substitute for smart, tailored conditioning sessions and can lead to over training. Special conditioning programs will be designed to meet individual needs to overcome identified weaknesses (for example, aerobic or strength deficiency). In addition, they should encourage a healthy lifestyle.

AR 350-1 is [URL="http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r350_1.pdf"]here[/URL].

So, in short, unless there is a post regulation stating that Remedial PT shouldn't be done after close of business, then, should just suck it up and drive on.

Comment

[QUOTE=OCSAllTheWay]Took me forever, but here is what I have...[/QUOTE]

That's excellent research - thanks.

Spoke with her again today after her remedial PT; she's feeling better about the time management issue. For me, though, I'm worried about the over-training aspect. She's had ankle problems in the past, and I don't want to see her aggravate it. But I guess I'm being over protective. She's a grown-up and knows when to stop pushing herself.

Thanks all.

Comment

It could be worse, she could be having to do PT 3 times a day.
                        Now that sucks

Comment

[QUOTE=abninf05]It could be worse, she could be having to do PT 3 times a day.
                          Now that sucks[/QUOTE]

Haha...yes I've seen many in a program like that. Early morning...during lunch...and afternoon (usually after business hours). And they're on a strict diet too if they're overweight. But boy do they lose the pounds and gain the endurance to keep up with the rest of us.

Comment

As OCSalltheway mentioned they can force her into remedial PT, at OCS if you don't pass the APFT with at least a 250 you will be on remedial.
                            Look at it this way, the extra training will only make her a better leader.

Comment

Working...
                            X