Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating a little all day or just 3 meals?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating a little all day or just 3 meals?

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's better (assuming your goal is to shed a few pounds) to eat a little bit all day or just to eat 3 meals.

Normally I have breakfast and then go to work. In my lunch I've packed whole grain chips, an apple, a yogurt and one sandwhich.

Typically about 30 mins after I get to work (9am) I open the chips and eat them.

They get me by until lunch when I have a sandwhich (1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cheese, and mustard), then a few hours later I have a green apple. (as green and sour as I can find)

Then I go home and have dinner, only one plate of dinner.

Is snacking throughout the day hurting me any? I've heard it can increase metabolism, but I've also heard that's false.

Re: Eating a little all day or just 3 meals?

[QUOTE=show_stopper999]Hello,

I'm wondering if it's better (assuming your goal is to shed a few pounds) to eat a little bit all day or just to eat 3 meals.

Normally I have breakfast and then go to work. In my lunch I've packed whole grain chips, an apple, a yogurt and one sandwhich.

Typically about 30 mins after I get to work (9am) I open the chips and eat them.

They get me by until lunch when I have a sandwhich (1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cheese, and mustard), then a few hours later I have a green apple. (as green and sour as I can find)

Then I go home and have dinner, only one plate of dinner.

Is snacking throughout the day hurting me any? I've heard it can increase metabolism, but I've also heard that's false.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has a different metabolism, but I will tell you what worked for my frame. I would eat all day, about every 2 - 3 hrs. It would consist of 2 - 2.5 ozs protein (like fish or deer... no beef) and some raw veggies (celery, onions and the like). The only meal that was different was breakfast (a banana and 12 oz skim milk w/ a protein poweder) and dinner (something tasty and sensible).

That, combined with plenty of cardio (fat burning) helped me lose 34 lbs in about 2 months. Now, I have plateau'd at 220 but I am working on building muscle so its what I expect. I would like to be about 210 but alas, I am 6'3" and not scrawny at all.... :D

Comment

Calories, quantities and substance.

Keep track of how many calories you consume and remember that you will need to participate in some type of physical activity to burn said calories.

Smaller meals, smaller quantities. If you want a cheeseburger, cut it in half or get rid of the bread (carbohydrates). If you reduce the amount you eat, your stomach will shrink and your body will start to burn fat for energy.

Evaluate what you eat. Things, like, Top Ramen, while small in quantity, possess high numbers of calories and sodium. I love cheeseburgers, but eat them in moderation and always try to burn off the calories.

While I'm training or trying to get in shape, my bread and butter is always rice cakes and cereal.

The right kind of cereal w/ milk can provide you with a lot of important vitamins and minerals. Rice cakes, on the other hand, are like eating air...except it satisfies your appetite. They also possess very low calories and no fat content. Sometimes I'll put a little peanut butter and jelly on them for flavor.

On top of that, I drink A LOT of water. And, that's basically my diet.

Comment

5-6 small meals per day. It will help to keep your metabolism and blood sugar up.

Comment

[QUOTE=show_stopper999]Hello,

I'm wondering if it's better (assuming your goal is to shed a few pounds) to eat a little bit all day or just to eat 3 meals....

Is snacking throughout the day hurting me any? I've heard it can increase metabolism, but I've also heard that's false.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your goals...How much weight? How fast do you want/need to lose it? How often do you work out? What intensity level? And how long at that intensity do you keep at it? Could you add an additional 1 or 2 mile jog to your routine each day? How occupied / busy are you at work? Do you have lots of down-time, or is your day filled with activities. My problem is I have LOTS of down-time and I get bored. Then I start munching on things I shouldn't be munching on. However, when I go to drill, I'm always kept busy. Then before you know it, it's time to eat breakfast... Then soon it's lunch... Then by dinner you're hungry again. After dinner, we keep so busy and I'm usually tired that I just want to go to sleep. I never think about food on drill weekend cause I'm constantly engaged with some activity.

Snacking is definitely a good thing. It sounds like you're keeping good track of your servings, but what kind of calories are you getting? (like Nathan was saying)
          Smaller meals are better! It keeps you from getting hungry and binging/overeating. If you have a steady/non changing work schedule, then this helps you a lot. My schedule changes constantly so it is very hard to keep in a health routine of eating.

jmclaughlin1701- you just keep pushing yourself with cardio (like you said) and you'll get down there! Have faith and good luck.

Comment

Well I just measured myself last night.. I thought I was 74 inches, but I'm measuring at just over 73, at 27 years old.

My max weight is like 202 as prior service and I'm weighing in at 207.

I dont have a meps visit on the schedule, as I need a waiver to go through. (they've agreed to process it despite the restrictions)

I just started working out a week ago. Before then I worked out NEVER. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted.

Last week I started running 1 to 2 miles every other day and doing push ups and situps, mon, wen, fri and sat.

I've also cut out all drinks except water (I drink tons of water now), skim milk and seltzer (carbonated water). I started eating cereal for breakfast and I have one ham sandwich for lunch, with sunchips, yogurt and an apple. Sometimes the apple is replaced with a tin of blueberries. Portions are normal... one slice of ham, one slice of cheese, lightly spreaded mustard on wheat bread.

For dinner tonight I had a bit of baked beans and a vegetarian cheeseburger (i actually liked it...wow)... just a normal bun, with a vegan "pattie" and some kinda sauce my wife made.

That's it, just one. This is a huge adjustment for me. A few months ago I used to buy rolls of cookie dough and half of it raw in one sitting for fun and hardly gain weight.

My work schedule is just me sitting at desk basically shuffling papers. I'm an army civilian and any physical activity is me getting up to go to the water fountain and the bathroom.

My snacking is spreading out my lunch to something at 9 am, something at noonish and something at 2 or 3. My work schedule is also steady 8:30 to 5.

Comment

Well, you have an opportunity to really hit the pavement before and after going to work. If it were me, I'd be up at 5:30 am and running like 3 miles at a steady pace every day. Maybe some days, I'd do 30/60's or 60/120's (What I'll be doing this week once or twice) If your taking in cookie dough (haha :D ) and not gaining a lot of weight then you're gonna see the weight come off quick. Just focus more on cardio to burn it all off. You should continue to do some type of push-up and sit-up improvement plan. Just search google. But if weight is your major goal (like me) then lots and lots of cardio is your answer. Don't go for speed on your runs though, go for the longest times you can while keeping your heart rate at 140-160 bpm (where your body burns the calories the best)

Diet looks good and light. Just make sure you're getting lots of veggies for your good carbs (complex) That is what fuels you when you do that running. Once you start burning calories and losing weight, you'll learn how much calories you should be taking in to maintain a specific weight. For example, I learned after losing 60 pounds that my average daily burn was like 2800 calories and I was taking in 16-1800. I was losing 3 pounds a week with about 1 1/4 hours of PT. Then I got lazy with both the diet and PT. Oh well.

Comment

That looks good, but be wary of starches, like, the "bun" you had for dinner.

Also, if you''ve just started training, I'd recommend taking it slow and running only about 3 times per week; and don't increase you mileage too quickly.

It sounds like you have some time on your hands, so I don't see any need for urgency. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself and be forced to rehabilitate for 2-3 weeks.

Listen to your body and don't feel guilty if you need to rest. It's better to be safe than sorry.

In hindsight, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in if I had sought advice sooner and paid more attention to my body. Unfortunately, I was too narrowly focused on training.

Comment

Back when I was skinny I ate all the time throughout the day. Then I went to BCT, got in the habit of eating three squares, got on active orders not too long after that and eating 3 a day again...and i'm fat. And I dont even touch dessert! lol Nah, not fat but i sure have gained some. From experience i'd say small portions throughout the day. And be active to use those calories you are fueling your body with.

Comment

Becky, I find that the amount of food you get with your "3 squares" is way too much for me. I'm usually give 1/2 my meal away at drill. I never take the desert or drink the O-juice. I'm sure that will change a little as I increase activity at BCT.

As for running, I never ran in my entire adult life. Back in November 2008, I decided to try it out and see just how far I could go. Well I went for 2 miles and was not tired. I remember I jogged for 25 minutes and was shocked when I "mapped it out". :eek: When I realized that I could do that, I just kept challenging myself every day to faster or further. After 3 weeks of running 5 days a week, I was up to around 3.5 miles in 30 minutes. It didn't take long for my leg muscles to get stronger. After that, I learned that I really enjoyed running. So you never know, you may find that once you start, you can go forever. Then again, I know a whole lot more people that just hate to run.

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]I know a whole lot more people that just hate to run.[/QUOTE]

I always "hate" it before going out, but when I'm doing it and once I finish, I really love it.

Comment

Someone in my building just got PT for the day. I saw this guy sprint to the bathroom. Five minutes later I was told there was an "emergency" in the mens restroom. A few minutes later someone walks in the restroom with a sweater and a plastic bag.

Shortly after the guy sprints out of the restroom with the sweater wrapped around his waste, wearing only a shirt, the sweater, sock and shoes, with his pants in the plastic bag. He ran out the door to his car.

Back on topic... My wife told me it takes a few weeks to start seeing some real effects but so far I'm down about half a pound per day on average when I weigh in the morning.

Comment

Something to think about is that even though it is skim milk, it still has carbs and the carbs that it does have are lactos carbs that tend to turn into fat content very quickly and easily even if you are working out a lot and running. I would suggest putting your shake powder into 8oz. of water. I know it doesn't taste as good, but it will benefit you. Also, 5-6 small meals a day will help with your metabolism and blood sugar throughout the day like other people have said throughout this thread.

Comment

I think meal is necessary.
                            But it is better, we should eat when feel hunger.
                            Eating a little whole day is bad for our health.
                            It will increase our body weight.

Comment

Working...
                            X