X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly will you do all day?

This question isn't directly towards Ft. Jackson, so it may need to be moved to a different category.

From what I've gathered, you wake up at 0400 - 0500 hours every morning, and it's lights out at 2100 hours or so, depending on where you're at and everything. The only things that I've read about on here that happen throughout the day are PT and meals. I may not be reading deep enough, but what else do you do during the day? Do they make you stand at attention or parade rest for hours on end? There's about 16-18 hours in a day there and I just can't imaging doing PT all day... What is the missing part of the day that I haven't heard about?

Re: What exactly will you do all day?

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll do fine. Who chose your BCT date?

Comment

[QUOTE=TradyMagrady]This question isn't directly towards Ft. Jackson, so it may need to be moved to a different category.

From what I've gathered, you wake up at 0400 - 0500 hours every morning, and it's lights out at 2100 hours or so, depending on where you're at and everything. The only things that I've read about on here that happen throughout the day are PT and meals. I may not be reading deep enough, but what else do you do during the day? Do they make you stand at attention or parade rest for hours on end? There's about 16-18 hours in a day there and I just can't imaging doing PT all day... What is the missing part of the day that I haven't heard about?[/QUOTE]

Lol don't worry about it that much. You'll have training exercises to do. They have you going and doing plenty of stuff. So don't worry about just standing there at attention.

Comment

Haha, it's more of a curiosity than a worry. I like surprises. I already stand on my feet all day at work anyway. I just normally can't stand still.

My BCT date was based on my AIT date. I originally chose 45K, but there weren't any AIT dates til next September. So They gave me a list of available jobs in VA and I got 94A, and that just happened to be the date. I wanted it a few months out, so it ended up being perfect.

Comment

94A - [url]http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/mos/description.php?mos_code=94A[/url]

Good luck.

Comment

dont matter where u go or when u go.......

it aint gonna be no picnic, thats for sure!

Comment

Your first week at a quick glance, does seem to almost completely revolve around geting smoked, doing PT, and eating. Any other free time is spent around issuing your initial equipment, or reinforcing the basic ground-rules about basic training (ala more smokings) such as orienting yourself to the rules of the barracks, basic drill and ceremony, the maintenance/cleaning procedures of your weapon and all your other equipment. This initial time is especially important to "weeding out the weak" and you'll find that you'll have anywhere from 10 (As I did in my platoon) and maybe as few as 1 people quit your platoon within that first week(dependant on your Drill Sergeants). While it certainly feels like all you are doing is "PT" and "eating"( I certainly felt that I wasn't learning anything I couldn't learn at home).You are subliminally learning the basics of being a soldier and discipline. Soon you will learn how those skills build you up to getting used to PCC/PCI's, as well as PMCS routines as well as any other skills that require a tedious attention to detail and routine practice.

As for the rest of your 8+ weeks, you'll find that until you out-process your days are pretty much extremely busy from the minute you wakeup until lights-out.

Good luck to everyone at Ft. Jackson. You have your fair share of "Relaxin" Platoon's, or Companies even - but you'll certainly also find an equally large amount of Battalion's that will see to it that you can rumble with any other Soldier from any other BCT site.

Comment

Well here's our mornings went, if wake up was 0500, first formation 0530, stand at parade rest or at ease tell 0600-0630 while the DS's have a daily meeting with CO and 1SG. Most time we wouldn't start pt tell 0615 or later. Get done at 0740ish, then get 10 minutes to change for uniform of day, and back down stairs by 0800 for chow, then after chow, get any gear we needed for day's training and then get on transportaion or walk to the training range by 0900, get back to company area around 1700 and go to dinner chow, from 1800-2000 we would clean anything or have a class on the next days training, then 2000-2100 personal time, 2100 lights out,

Comment

Each company is a bit different. we only got to sleep in to 0500 on sundays. Wake up was almost always 0400 or 0430. But the core stuff is the same.

Wake up, hygene, PT, chow, training, chow, training, chow, personal time, lights out.

We were pretty busy most of the time but that doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of hurry-up-and-wait.

Comment

Just graduated from Ft Jackson last Friday. Heres how a typical day went for me:

0400 - Wake up, Personal Hygiene, Bay Maintenance - all in the dark
                    0500 - Lights on, Bay inspection by Drill Sergeant, if the bay was close to being acceptable, we would have until 0520 to fix it. If the bay was not close to acceptable, then we would get smoked for 10-15 minutes and then have 5 minutes to fix it, which would lead to us getting smoked before lights out.
                    0530 - first formation
                    0600 - PT
                    0700 - Personal Hygiene (no showers)
                    0715 - Chow
                    0745 - formation
                    0800 - Training (the first couple weeks this is usually BORING classroom stuff, after that you get into Basic Rifle Marksmanship for another 2-3 weeks, with other stuff sprinkled in - this is where Basic starts to fly by.)
                    1200 - lunch
                    1230 - training
                    1700 - dinner
                    1730 - DS time (usually cleaning your weapon)
                    1945 - Hydration formation (when its hot out, the whole company gets in formation and the CQ DS makes sure everyone drinks a quart of water before bed. the ds also lets everyone know whats going on the next day.
                    2000 - personal time
                    2045 - toe the line - the ds comes to your bay, counts personnel and weapons to make sure no one is missing and no weapons are missing.
                    2100 - lights out.

Comment

Its been 14 years for me so i am sure alot has changed. Here is what i remember. Wakeup. do what your told, go to sleep, wake up, do it again. repeat cycle for about 8 weeks. unless your OSUT then repeat for 16 - 18 weeks. and it goes by so fast you can belive it. Remember Enjoy the things you do. you only live once.

Comment

SPC Corsi hit the nail on the head. During BCT you will hate it. Looking back now, I would do it all over again if given the chance. Sure it sucked being told what to do so much and having so little freedom, but it was a challenge I enjoyed. Remember to keep yourself motivated and stay positive. If you can do that, you will love your experience in BCT. The ones who have it the hardest mentally are the ones who complain about the smokings or complain about the small stuff like standing at attention for an hour or having their precious cell phones taken away. BCT is a mind game and for most from what I saw, was tougher mentally than it was physically. Physically, it is meant to start out for the people who can only do 4 push ups and can't run 2 miles without having to stop. Don't fall in that bottom portion and take my other advice and you will do fine.

Comment

With all of this focus on the day to day little things I have to say that the actual training is a blast! BRM, marching, US weapons, MOUT, all the tactical range excercises, the field excercises, GRENADES! All of it was really fun. Even some of the simple things like riding in the back of an open-air five ton on the way to detail...nice.

You also develop an appreciation for the small rewards as they come...anyway, I just graduated and I would do it all over if I had to.

Comment

I would do it again. Compared to AIT I loved basic. Ft. Sam for medic school was a beach.

Comment

Working...
                            X