X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass RSP

Does anyone know anything about RSP for MA? for example location, when you get you ACU's, wat weekend it usually is, or wat you do there your first day?
    Last edited by stuc; June 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM.

Re: Mass RSP

[QUOTE=stuc]Does anyone know anything about RSP for MA? for example location, when you get you ACU's, wat weekend it usually is, or wat you do there your first day?[/QUOTE]

MA ARNG RSP is at Camp Edwards in Bourne.

As far as I know everyone gets their ACUs right before completing OR-3, your third weekend of Red Phase (where I will be this coming weekend, heh)

It's usually the second or third weekend of the month: 17-19 APR 12-13 JUN 17-18 JUL 14-16 AUG 18-20 SEP.

Your first taste of the Army here is pretty awesome. Here's what it's like:

Arrive at your pickup point. Hang around the armory, sweat, envy the guys in 1-5 PL in their ACUs. Marvel at how everyone else can fit all their gear in one little backpack. Someone yells 'fall in' and you scramble over to formation and try to imitate everyone else. Lots of things happen that you don't understand. Then you get on a bus. Someone in green phase takes charge of the bus and runs their mouth about how sloppy OR-1 looks and how much easier you will have it in BCT than he did. Then you ride the bus. When you get on base, everyone goes silent. The bus stops. The lights come on. Nobody breathes. A big scary looking man in a campaign hat boards the bus and stares at everyone. You may or may not have to answer roll call. Then the yelling starts.

[b][i]"GET OFF THE BUS"[/i][/b]

Get off the bus, grab your gear and run! Get used to it, you will be running all weekend. Someone will direct you to the OR-1 formation. That's you, Orientation Phase 1. Get over there, try not to look too sloppy. You get marched over to a parking lot. Don't trip over the dead tree roots between the parking lots. When you get there DS Zieba will come over and scare you, show you a few basic movements, and march you into the warfare simulation building which is actually just a big classroom. (Protip: DS Zieba is actually awesome, don't let him scare you. All he wants is effort.) You'll stand in the hallway for Amnesty Hour, so called because it takes approximately an hour for everyone to figure out simple instructions and to take things out of their pack. You will marvel at how stupid everyone in your platoon seems. Then you will stand at parade rest for a few hours while you get your PT card, weighed, and fitted for ACUs. Squad leaders will be selected. You want to be a squad leader in OR-1, it's fun and you have almost no responsibilities.

Then it's time to eat!

You will get a short class on how to use an MRE. Pay attention, you can literally start a fire or poison yourself if you screw up too badly. Don't cheat when they collect contraband or the whole platoon will get smoked all night. You take care of some minor administrative stuff, then go out to get your PT gear.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE. If you leave the depot without the right size gear you will NOT get the right size, like, ever.

Everything runs big, trust me. You will take a bus to get linens and RUN to formation outside the barracks.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT LINEN. CHECK WHILE YOU ARE RUNNING TO FORMATION. If you go into the barracks with the wrong linens you will NOT get the right linens.

Fall out into the barracks, get a class on how to make a rack. Try really hard to make it right but don't sweat too badly, they probably won't be checking racks your first time. Try to take a shower no matter how little time you have, you won't get another one for about 24 hours. Now bed down in that awful plastic-wrapped bed and try to sleep for three hours. Congratulations, you survived your first night!

Comment

Thanks very much mike...ive been looking on the forums for a while and there is never anything really said about MA RSP. It sounds like it really preps you for basic which im happy about. Im swearing in on wednesday and going to RSP this weekend, but my recruiter hasnt really giving me that much info on it so again thanks for the heads up.

Comment

[QUOTE=three mike 36]...
        [b][i]"GET OFF THE BUS"[/i][/b]...

Congratulations, you survived your first night![/QUOTE]
        Sounds like a walk in the park.

Trust me, effort is EXACTLY what they're looking for. And never forget, when you get smoked because "someone" screws up, don't get too mad at that person. Chances are that the DS will smoke you anyway. You know it's gonna happen. And you never know who will be pointed at. It may be you and it may be bogus. It's just extra PT. My favorite saying is, "get mad, and get over it."

I'm a bigger (and older) guy and I had no problem following instructions. I never once got a personal smoking because I've given 100% from PT right down to my buzz cut! Also, I learned the Soldiers Creed, army song, and my general orders by the second drill. Take everything they ask of you seriously and you will be given respect by not only your pears, but also the Sergent. I never though I'd fit in with the "kids" (almost 14 years older than they are) but it happened by my 3rd drill. Always be the one who dose their personal best and you will be highly regarded!

Comment

[QUOTE=stuc]Thanks very much mike...ive been looking on the forums for a while and there is never anything really said about MA RSP. It sounds like it really preps you for basic which im happy about. Im swearing in on wednesday and going to RSP this weekend, but my recruiter hasnt really giving me that much info on it so again thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

So how was it? What'd you think of SSG Touy and SGT Brown?

Comment

i actually didnt have to go this weekend...but i did enlisted on wednesday and my first RSP is in july, because my ship date to basic isnt until oct 28th...its funny you ask about sgt brown because he is my recruiter, n he keeps talking about how hes gonna smoke me

Comment

ill be doing my first RSP this weekend, and im kinda of excited i think ill do fine but if theres any last minute tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

i had my first rsp drill this past weekend, and it sucked, and i loved every minute of it. drill sergants are in your face screaming but they teach you so much. this is the best prep for basic you could ever have. you meet a bunch of people that you probly would never hang with if you werent in together but they become friends instantly. people were passing out, and people failed the PT test and we got smoked until 0200 and then woke up at 0440 but for some odd reason i loved it. i cant wait to go back. its the best team in the world and cant wait to be truly apart of it

Comment

Yea I am from Ma also and I was looking at some pics of the RSP program. Man it is alot different from when I went. It was called pre-basic when I went in 95'. They do alot of highspeed stuff there now. I'm gald you liked it. Did you go in the gas chamber yet? or is that for next time? also I don't know when your shipping but this past winter they sent the RSP students to VT. Jericho for cold weather training at the mountain warfare school.
                  Last edited by Jon11b; July 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

No i didnt do the gas chamber yet, and i probaly wont be able to. how it works now is there is OR1 OR2 and OR3 which are your first 3 weekends and then you get put in 1st platoon your 4th weekend 2nd platoon your 5th weekend and so on until you graduate basic and then you are in 6th platoon which is when they hand you off to your unit. you dont get your ACU's until OR3 and you dont do any of the fun stuff like gas chamber or black hawk rides until you are in a platoon(at least your 4th weekend drill). and for me i ship oct 28th so im only gonna do 4 weekends total which means ill only have one weekend in my ACU's and doing some sort of cool training like the gas chamber. but its great prep for basic and im glad to be able to do it anyway. i dont think i would want to go to rsp for much longer than 4 weekends anyway, after 4 weekends i feel like you will have plenty of prep for basic. and yes it is very very high speed at camp edwards RSP. we were told by one of the sgts that mass RSP is one of if not the best in the country. at final formation this weekend there was about 12 or 13 soldiers that had just finished basic that recieved awards. there was a total of around 70 soldiers that jus finished basic and 13 got awards that makes it about 20% of returning soldiers recieved and award which is pretty good
                    Last edited by stuc; July 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=stuc] we were told by one of the sgts that mass RSP is one of if not the best in the country. [/QUOTE]

Well if best in the country means ranked 27th, then yes..I guess they are the best.

(i've got the RSP Metrics and Mass is ranked 27th in the nation)

no matter where you go, you are probably going to be told that your program is one of the best in the country. ;) Even still...Im jealous because it sure sounds like they have a better budget for training then I have :(

Comment

[QUOTE=RSP NCO]Well if best in the country means ranked 27th, then yes..I guess they are the best.

no matter where you go, you are probably going to be told that your program is one of the best in the country. ;) Even still...Im jealous because it sure sounds like they have a better budget for training then I have :([/QUOTE]

Don't sell yourself short....2nd to none; NONE!

Comment

[QUOTE=RSP NCO]Well if best in the country means ranked 27th, then yes..I guess they are the best.

no matter where you go, you are probably going to be told that your program is one of the best in the country. ;) Even still...Im jealous because it sure sounds like they have a better budget for training then I have :([/QUOTE]

yea i figure that, which is why i mentioned that one of the Sgts said it so it didnt sound like i was trying to make me or the MAARNG better than everyone else. i was jus trying to show that it was tough and high speed.

Comment

[QUOTE=stuc]yea i figure that, which is why i mentioned that one of the Sgts said it so it didnt sound like i was trying to make me or the MAARNG better than everyone else. i was jus trying to show that it was tough and high speed.[/QUOTE]

It actually sounds like they have a very good program there.

Comment

RSP NCO,

What's the Va Beach RSP ranked? Where are the best RSPs located?

Comment

Working...
                              X