X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill weekend visit

I'm currently waiting for waivers to be accepted again before i can enlist, so my recruiter wanted me to go to a drill weekend next month. what exactly does this entail?

He may be talking about RSP. It is a program for soldiers waiting to go to BCT or AIT. It give you the opportunity to prepare for your basic training. I've gone to 3 drills so far and I've enjoyed all of them. It was a little strange at first. There are PT sessions both days. Then there are plenty of briefings on a variety of different topics from harassment to suicide prevention. Also lots of hands on training like first aid and how to correctly call in a med-evack. Some even get to do paint ball in a battle formation.

It's got it's good points and bad points. The hardest thing for me to get used to was all the really young kids (I'm a little older) that like to mess around. But, I got used to it pretty quickly. If you have the chance to go, I'd highly recommend going!

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]It's got it's good points and bad points. The hardest thing for me to get used to was all the really young kids (I'm a little older) that like to mess around. But, I got used to it pretty quickly. If you have the chance to go, I'd highly recommend going![/QUOTE]

Don't let the kids get you down, Pops. :D

They can be wicked annoying, I agree. Think of it this way though, your NCOs are probably thinking the same thing, and I bet you look a lot more squared away than they are.

Comment

Lets put it this way. Every time I was asked what my general orders were, I knew them cause I had practiced them. Same with the army song, Army values, and soldiers creed. The didn't give me any trouble. I never got dropped once! Then, I though it was funny that after I helped serve chow for breakfast, I was the last one into the locker rooms to change into my ACU's. But, I was the first person standing in formation. The NCO's that are younger than I am are very respectful to me.

Comment

Yes, you'll be drilling with an RSP unit

depending on where you are, you could be doing weapon maintance to paintball 'battles'... some even are lucky to fly around in blackhawks, and I have seen someone mention here that they did repelling from blackhawks lol...

our unit does land nav (you even get to carry an M16 lol) M249 maintance, M16 Maintance, AT-4 drills, Claymore drills etc etc....

Comment

[QUOTE=taseal]Yes, you'll be drilling with an RSP unit

depending on where you are, you could be doing weapon maintance to paintball 'battles'... some even are lucky to fly around in blackhawks, and I have seen someone mention here that they did repelling from blackhawks lol...

our unit does land nav (you even get to carry an M16 lol) M249 maintance, M16 Maintance, AT-4 drills, Claymore drills etc etc....[/QUOTE]

Or you could be at an RSP like mine where we do PT in the mornings, and then spend time in the afternoons between D&C outside (marching) and sitting inside in a classroom learning about education benefits or trying to get people to memorize their soldier's creed/general orders.

Comment

[QUOTE=plano2001]Or you could be at an RSP like mine where we do PT in the mornings, and then spend time in the afternoons between D&C outside (marching) and sitting inside in a classroom learning about education benefits or trying to get people to memorize their soldier's creed/general orders.[/QUOTE]
              We spent well over 2 hours on D and C this weekend. It was nice to get in the pratice. I loved the group runs.

Comment

Re: Drill weekend visit

that sounds like a good time, now I'm bummed i couldn't go this weekend. anyone know what the Wisconsin one is like?

Comment

[QUOTE=Jgradu]that sounds like a good time, now I'm bummed i couldn't go this weekend. anyone know what the Wisconsin one is like?[/QUOTE]

It depends which one you go to...they had just gone from 5 RSP locations to 10 as I was leaving for basic in January. I'm pretty sure they were trying to get Drill Sergeants at all 10 locations. Which one are you going to?

Comment

thats a good question. I would leave from the armory in Superior, so somewhere in western WI. my recruiter told me where it was a while ago but i don't remember anymore

Comment

Well, i had good time at the drill in Rice Lake. I had a to learn how to eat, walk and dress myself all over again.

We first got into formation and did my best to imitate everyone. after that i did the 2-2-2 with the green phase. then I was issued some ACUs which i thought was pretty cool since I'm still waiting for the ARNG to accept people with waivers. Then we did water survival training which was cool and also hard since i suck at swimming. then we went back to the army and had MREs for lunch. Then we did bayonet training, Drill and Ceremony and classroom. The next day we did a two mile road march and classroom.

I was a little surprised at how laid back everything was during the weekend, but i was still sore afterward. I sure am excited for Oct. 1 to roll around now. I hope this helps anyone in WI

Comment

Working...
                      X