Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=TradyMagrady]When i'm doing pushups, situps, etc., should I be doing them every other day, so that I have a day to recoup and improve my numbers? I see some people are doing them every day and was just wondering if i'm going about this the right way.[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, at BCT youre going to be doing at least 100 pushups everyday, so the sooner you get used to that, the better!

Comment

My first 1-1-1 went pretty well. I did ok for the push-ups and sit-ups but great on the run. I came in at 29-42-7:14

I lost around 10 push ups when I started making sure I do them properly, ie. going all the way down each time. I also think that my diet and a good nights sleep affects how many I do.

With the situps I just ran out of time. I could have done 20 more but being tall it takes me while to go up and down.

I thought I'd fall in around the 8 minute mark with the run but I had been training and running three times a week. This helped alot I think and I am proud to come in at just over 7 min.

Overall I think I'm on the right track but I also see a difference in the 10 Lbs that I've gained back the past month. I've gone from 180 to 190...I'm sure some of it is that I've been gaining muscle.

Comment

[QUOTE=knave]My first 1-1-1 went pretty well. I did ok for the push-ups and sit-ups but great on the run. I came in at 29-42-7:14

I lost around 10 push ups when I started making sure I do them properly, ie. going all the way down each time. I also think that my diet and a good nights sleep affects how many I do.

With the situps I just ran out of time. I could have done 20 more but being tall it takes me while to go up and down.

I thought I'd fall in around the 8 minute mark with the run but I had been training and running three times a week. This helped alot I think and I am proud to come in at just over 7 min.

Overall I think I'm on the right track but I also see a difference in the 10 Lbs that I've gained back the past month. I've gone from 180 to 190...I'm sure some of it is that I've been gaining muscle.[/QUOTE]

hundredpushups.com
        twohundredsistups.com

Try these out buddy!

Only thing you'll have to "work on" really will be your running if you follow these two programs ;)

Comment

My nine year old nephew just cranked out 30 push ups and 35 situps...not bad.. he is a little bad <a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a>:D

Comment

I had to run on the treadmill last night since it was like 10pm when I got home from EMT class, but I pushed a bit and did 2 miles in 15:00. I actually run a lot better and faster out on the open road, so I think I can get near 14:30 or lower. My end goal is to get the 2 miles under 14:00 and I still have another 4 months to work it out before shipping to basic.

I'm working on this "100 push-ups" program and based on my initial test (44), I needed to start in the middle of the program and in the hardest column. Well, day 1 was easy enough (14/14/18/14/max of 20 or more), but day 2 was just a little more than my body would put up with (15/15/25/15/max of 25 or more). I came up 2 reps short on the max at the end. I think I'm going to drop down a column or maybe just work on day 2 repeatedly until I can do at least 25-30 at the end. Anyway, it does seem like a good workout that is making me push myself. Now to start on the "200 sit-ups" program and see what kind of damage it can do to me :D

Comment

I am a big fan of doing some of your runs on treadmill. It really allows you to work on your run cadence. Most good runners hit at least 92 steps per minute and I bet if most people who are struggling with their runs did a cadence check they will be in the low 80's. Just make sure that you have the treadmill set on at least a 1% grade.

Comment

[QUOTE=willw]I am a big fan of doing some of your runs on treadmill. It really allows you to work on your run cadence. Most good runners hit at least 92 steps per minute and I bet if most people who are struggling with their runs did a cadence check they will be in the low 80's. Just make sure that you have the treadmill set on at least a 1% grade.[/QUOTE]
                what is the importance of having the treadmill set to at least a 1 percent grade?...also what are some ways to improve cadence?

Comment

[QUOTE=Locke]what is the importance of having the treadmill set to at least a 1 percent grade?...also what are some ways to improve cadence?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, at 0%, most treadmills are actually having you run [I]downhill[/I]. That's no good. At 1% you're probably close to running flat. I set mine at 2% for some extra resistance.

Comment

[QUOTE=Locke]what is the importance of having the treadmill set to at least a 1 percent grade?...also what are some ways to improve cadence?[/QUOTE]

Here is a link that shows the effective running paces on a treadmill.

[url]http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php[/url]

The easiest way to check you cadence is just go out and run just count every time your left foot hits the ground in 20 secs and then multiply by three to get your number of foot strikes. Most people are shocked at what 90+ foot strikes per minute feels like.

One of the things a lot of people use are Finnis tempo trainers. We use them for swimming for the same sort of thing and can clip on your goggles or just clip them on your running shorts. It is basically a tiny, waterproof metronome.

As you work on your turn over it will feel like you are taking tiny choppy steps at first and it takes a while for your body to adapt. So just take it slow and easy and your body will adapt to the higher cadence.

Comment

[QUOTE=willw]One of the things a lot of people use are Finnis tempo trainers. We use them for swimming for the same sort of thing and can [B]clip on your goggles or just clip them on your running shorts. It is basically a tiny, waterproof metronome.
                      [/B]
                      As you work on your turn over it will feel like you are taking tiny choppy steps at first and it takes a while for your body to adapt. So just take it slow and easy and your body will adapt to the higher cadence.[/QUOTE]
                      What a great idea. I just usually jog with my iPod on with some up-tempo music or dance mixes. I got one to help me keep time while learning to play the guitar. I'll try that.

Comment

thanks for the info..I will give this a try

Comment

While you cant use the iPod at Basic/AIT...it will be up to the commanders discretion whether or not you can use it at the unit level.

Every unit I've been in has allowed us to use it for our APFT. I use mine every time.

Comment

Working...
                          X