X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Docs to bring to Basic?

I'm in the process of getting everything together to ship off to Ft Jackson next month and I'd like to avoid bringing all my original docs with me.

Will copies of my SSC, Birth Cert's, Marriage lic. etc. suffice or do I need to have originals?

When I went to my Shippers Checklist appointment with my RSP cadre they had me bring copies of specific documents, including marriage and birth certificates. These were all placed in a folder, along with other important documents that were already in their possession. This folder is what I am told need to travel with me to MEPS and then to BCT. Also I was told to bring my drivers license, CAC card and original SS card. I was told that I needed no other documents aside from what was in this folder. Basically, you should be squared away by your RSP cadre at your Shippers Checklist appointment.

Comment

I only took my social secuirty card because in your packet that meps gives you is everything you need. BUT you will need a copy of your marriage cert. for finance because they cant do anything right. Like i said I took my card,one extra pair of cloths, and some stuff to shave with. I did just fine. Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=knave]I'm in the process of getting everything together to ship off to Ft Jackson next month and I'd like to avoid bringing all my original docs with me.

Will copies of my SSC, Birth Cert's, Marriage lic. etc. suffice or do I need to have originals?[/QUOTE]

This is for Ft Jackson:

What to Bring

Clothing

One set of casual, comfortable clothing *No halter tops or ragged shorts
        Three sets of underwear (White)
        One pair of white, calf-length athletic socks *No color bands, designs or logos
        One pair of comfortable athletic shoes
        Eyeglasses *No faddish/stylish eyewear
        Athletic supporter (males only)
        Luggage should be limited to one small suitcase or gym bag
        Two locks (combination or padlock with 2 keys) Toiletries

Disposable / safety razor with blades
        Shaving cream (optional for women)
        Toothbrush with clear carrying case
        Hairbrush or 6" black comb
        Shampoo
        Two washcloths and one brown towel
        Non-aerosol antiperspirant
        Black shower shoes
        Toothpaste
        Dental Floss
        Soap with clear carrying case
        Nail clippers

Money*

A minimum $10.00 - but No More Than $50.00 in Cash
        Traveler's Checks or Money Orders
        ATM Card or Personal Checks
        *You will be given an advance pay for any required purchases.

For Women Only

Undergarments:
        8 underwear (cotton recommended, White or Neutral)
        6 sports bras
        flesh tone nylons
        Hairstyles not appropriate in uniform: ponytail, extreme bouffant styles, exotic upsweeps, and corkscrew or "corn-row" styles.
        You may wear quarter-inch or smaller pearl, gold, silver, or diamond spherical earrings, only with Army "dress" uniforms.

Documents You Need To Bring with You

Social Security Card, Driver's License, Direct Deposit Form - 1199 signed by a bank official, or the name, address and account number and routing number of your financial institution. If applicable, notarized copies of your Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Separation Order; notarized copies of Birth Certificates for all children under 18; Affidavit of Support for Parents; court documents, and direct deposit forms if ordered to pay spousal and/or child support. Ask your recruiter for full details. Proof of Citizenship (aliens only). The name, Social Security Number, and Military Address of your spouse if you are married to another service member. Copies of your lease agreement or rental contract for any dependents residing outside of government quarters. Documentation of any ROTC experience, and college transcripts.

Your Orders

Be sure to have all copies of your orders and documents issued by your unit recruiter or the Military Entrance Processing Station. These orders must be hand-delivered by you. Travel and meal tickets will be provided.

What NOT to Bring

Prohibited Items, Do not bring these items with you to Fort Jackson:
        Weapons
        Drugs or narcotics
        Alcoholic beverages and empty containers
        Counterfeit money
        Tobacco products
        <a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/nationalguard"> Click HERE</a>ographic items
        Cell phones, pagers, and other electronic communication devices
        CD players and walkman-type devices
        Body jewelry
        Contact lenses

Retained Items, These items should not be brought with you, but may be turned in for safe keeping at the OWNER'S RISK
        Knives
        Gambling devices
        Suggestive items and pictures
        Un-opened over-the-counter drugs
        These items should be retained by individual
        Prescription drugs with a written prescription

Here's the [URL="http://www.jackson.army.mil/BCT/What_to_Expect.htm"]LINK[/URL]

Comment

[QUOTE=Dedicated]When I went to my Shippers Checklist appointment with my RSP cadre they had me bring copies of specific documents, including marriage and birth certificates. These were all placed in a folder, along with other important documents that were already in their possession. This folder is what I am told need to travel with me to MEPS and then to BCT. Also I was told to bring my drivers license, CAC card and original SS card. I was told that I needed no other documents aside from what was in this folder. Basically, you should be squared away by your RSP cadre at your Shippers Checklist appointment.[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty tight shot-group from Dedicated.

My recruiter got me squared away and the only ORIGINAL documents I took were:

SS Card
          DL
          Debit Card
          Military ID (if you already have one)

I did not need my actual DL or SS card (they send copies with you for reception) but I took them anyway. In fact, these items were in a small camo wallet in my right shoulder ACU pocket at all times. Amazingly they made it through the training with me without getting wet, torn or otherwise damaged.

Comment

I am pretty sure that your SS card has to be the original it can not be a copy, and it cannot be laminated or they will not accept it. This is going off what I was told for my initial MEPS processing. So if anyone knows different, please clarify.

Comment

[QUOTE=mwines]I am pretty sure that your SS card has to be the original it can not be a copy, and it cannot be laminated or they will not accept it. This is going off what I was told for my initial MEPS processing. So if anyone knows different, please clarify.[/QUOTE]
              It was stressed to me, very directly, by my RSP DS that I must bring my original SS card. He said that failure to bring my SS card, DL and CAC card would result in being turned away immediately. We drill at RSP in ACU's, and during chow at the last drill I asked another guy why he didnt have his ACU's on. He had lost his original SS card, and MEPS turned him away. This was after he turned in his ACU's at what should have been his "final" RSP drill.

Comment

[QUOTE=mwines]I am pretty sure that your SS card has to be the original it can not be a copy, and it cannot be laminated or they will not accept it. This is going off what I was told for my initial MEPS processing. So if anyone knows different, please clarify.[/QUOTE]

Your social security card cannot be laminated because it says so on the card itself. If you laminate it, it is no longer an acceptable form of identification because you void the card.

Comment

Alright, I guess my best course of action is to bring my Original SSC and copies of everything else. (I never go anywhere without my DL so thats a duh.) I suppose I could include some mortgage docs too just in case. I want that BHA.

I'm not worried about the actual "stuff" part. I'll pack light and buy what I need.

Did I read a color requirement on the towel and washcloth somewhere?
                  I'll look into that.

Comment

[QUOTE=plano2001]Your social security card cannot be laminated because it says so on the card itself. If you laminate it, it is no longer an acceptable form of identification because you void the card.[/QUOTE]

Ill double check when I get home, but I am 95% sure my SS does not say to not laminate it...

Comment

[url]http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=624&p_created=1017795231[/url]

[url]http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/chapter1/requirements.html#Age%20&%20Identity[/url]

[url]http://goffwilson.wordpress.com/goffwilson-website/[/url] (item #4)

Mine says on the back "Not valid if laminated". Yours probably does too.

Comment

My SS card has been laminated for about 25 years. It got me through my first 8 years active duty, and I've had no problems up to this day.

Comment

Working...
                        X