X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic rifle marksmanship

What are the categories you can qualify in when you do your basic rifle marksmanship?

Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert.

Comment

[QUOTE=PFC Lowe]Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert.[/QUOTE]

What do you need to accomplish in order to get those ranks?

Comment

I dont remember Marksman or Sharpshooter, but Expert use to be 37-40 out of 40. :cool:

Comment

idk exactly how everythings all setup, so it might be a decent challenge for most people.

But the AR15 family rifles (M4 and M16 are two) are surprisingly accurate... if you know how to shoot...

Comment

two cats

Those who can shot and get off the range.:D

Those who can not shot and keep everyone there till they figure it out:mad:

ex AF guy here in cat 1:cool:

Comment

23-29 Marksman

30-35 SharpShooter

36-40 Expert

Comment

Thanks, hope to get expert.

Comment

I'm aiming (no pun intended) for Expert! I'll be happy with SharpShooter but I know at Marksman.

This is one of the things I can't wait for! It's been a while since I've been out shooting a rifle. I was pretty good as a teen. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike :D Heck, even my mom was good at it!

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]I'm aiming (no pun intended) for Expert! I'll be happy with SharpShooter but I know at Marksman.

This is one of the things I can't wait for! It's been a while since I've been out shooting a rifle. I was pretty good as a teen. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike :D Heck, even my mom was good at it![/QUOTE]

We only had 1 guy shoot expert in our entire battery, he shot a 19 originally (failure) then when he shot again he shot a 36 (out of 40).

I shot a 31 on the pre-qualifying day and they did not let me shoot on qual day, just too many sodiers to get through the tsting I guess. I had a malfunction also during the prone supported where two targets pop-up simultaneously. That cost me 3-4 right there.

Good luck-

Comment

[QUOTE=GutshotStraight]We only had 1 guy shoot expert in our entire battery, he shot a 19 originally (failure) then when he shot again he shot a 36 (out of 40).

I shot a 31 on the pre-qualifying day and they did not let me shoot on qual day, just too many sodiers to get through the tsting I guess. I had a malfunction also during the prone supported where two targets pop-up simultaneously. That cost me 3-4 right there.

Good luck-[/QUOTE]
                      They allowed a reshoot to claim expert? If somebody had to reshoot at my BCT they got sharpshooter. Didn't matter if they shot all 40 the second (or third, etc) time.

Comment

I was a terrible shot. I shot allll day looooooong. Probably about 10-12 times. I never thought I was pass. Got 24 on Captain Math L. English range at Benning. Thank God.

Comment

[QUOTE=cheeseman]I was a terrible shot. I shot allll day looooooong. Probably about 10-12 times. I never thought I was pass. Got 24 on Captain Math L. English range at Benning. Thank God.[/QUOTE]
                          I'll be at Benning too. Hope ya didn't jinks me :D

Comment

Seriously. How hard is it to shoot these things? I mean I've never shot a gun before but I mean, is it really that hard? Dont they spend a lot of time spending tax payer dollars on teaching me how to waste ammo prior to the testing?

I'm going to be one angry panda if those targets dont go boom when I shoot off.

Comment

[QUOTE]Seriously. How hard is it to shoot these things? I mean I've never shot a gun before but I mean, is it really that hard? Dont they spend a lot of time spending tax payer dollars on teaching me how to waste ammo prior to the testing?

I'm going to be one angry panda if those targets dont go boom when I shoot off.[/QUOTE]

OMG...this is F-d on so many levels.

OK, first... It is difficult. I have never done the Army rifle qual, but I know how hard it can be in USMC. at the 500 yard line, the front site post is wider than the entire sillouette, so you really have to be on in terms of windage corrections and applying the principles of marksmanship like breath control. It becomes much easier with practice, which brings up the next point.

Practicing marksmanship is not a waste of ammo. Yes, in the heat of combat, lots of rounds just get fired off on things like suppressing fire. But, accurate placement of rounds is a critical element of winning a fire fight. You don't just go in there spray-and-pray and ecxpect to win. Furthermore, you not only learn better marksmanship, but you become more familiar with the weapon (quickly changing magazines, dealing with malfunctions, etc.)

If you want targets to "go boom" (whatever that means), you are going to need practice. But even more importantly, you want your enemies to go boom, should the need ever arise.

There are soooooooooooo many things that tax dollars get wasted on in the military, but training for combat on its most fundamental level is hardly one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X