X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68W with an M6 identifier?

I plan on joining the Army thru the "Active First" program with the National Guard. I want my MOS to be 68W with the M6 identifier. I've heard conflicting stories on this and would like some real answers/advice. In this forum I've read that the M6 identifier MUST be in my contract or I can't get into the program, although I've ALSO read that I can add it later. But all I hear from my recruiter(s) is it's not available to first-time enlistee's and the only way to get in is by doing well in AIT.

Does anyone have any clarification on this at all? I don't want to sign until I have a DEFINITIVE answer on this. If I HAVE to start out with 68W that's fine with me (I understand working my way up the ladder) but I'd rather get a jumpstart on my future goals as soon as possible. Eventually, I would like to be a Physicians Assistant but I'm planning on going the nurse route to get there.

ANY advice about different programs or possible alternatives would also be greatly appreciated! Also, I don't know if this matters or not, but my recruiter said my ASVAB scores qualify me for any MOS the Army has to offer (I got a 92 AQFT score and none of my composite scores were lower than 127).

It has to be on your contract, if youre doing active first ... which means youll belong to big (regular) army at first, you can tell them you want 68m6 in your contract or you will walk off and they can call you when they find it available.

Dont trust anything else. If its not in your contract, you probably wont get it.

Comment

I have a friend in the program right now. He had it put into his contract.

Comment

i was told not a chance in ****. The role of the guard is not condusive(sp) to needing m6. Get it in writing or I would believe it is a no go.

Comment

You have to get EVERYTHING in your contract. If it's not in it then you won't be getting your m6. A good way to do what you want to do is do ROTC.

Comment

Make sure that is what you want to do also. That's a looooooooong time to be at Ft. Sam. 16 weeks was enough for me. Had a few friends that doubled tapped on purpose in the m6 program so they could get out of there. They hated it. That doesnt mean you wouldn't just saying you need to make sure that's what you want to do. Become a solider/medic first. That in it's self is about 7 months worth of training.

Comment

[QUOTE=cheeseman]Make sure that is what you want to do also. That's a looooooooong time to be at Ft. Sam. 16 weeks was enough for me. Had a few friends that doubled tapped on purpose in the m6 program so they could get out of there. They hated it. That doesnt mean you wouldn't just saying you need to make sure that's what you want to do. Become a solider/medic first. That in it's self is about 7 months worth of training.[/QUOTE]

m6 training is not necessarily at Ft Sam though, there is alot of diff locations for it. Also, the m6 portion is way different than the whiskey side. Its alot more like permanent party.

Also, longer training time means more time being stabilized (not MOBed, deployed, activated, etc.) And it also means more TIS/TIG.

There is a plus side to everything.

Comment

[QUOTE=qcomer]m6 training is not necessarily at Ft Sam though, there is alot of diff locations for it. Also, the m6 portion is way different than the whiskey side. Its alot more like permanent party.

Also, longer training time means more time being stabilized (not MOBed, deployed, activated, etc.) And it also means more TIS/TIG.

There is a plus side to everything.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the 2nd half is spent at either El Paso, BAMC in San Antonio, Walter Reed and maybe a few more places. But I think the first 6 months is at Sam. Which thinking of being there that long makes be want to throw up. You're right. I was sounding too negative and m6 wouldn't be like whiskey but I couldn't take death by powerpoint a second longer.

Comment

OMG.... How long must we beat a dead horse?

Is there an ACTUAL person in the GUARD (not AD, and not my friend said... or there was this guy....) that has ACTUALLY gotten 68WM6 put in their enlistment contract RECENTLY????? If so, PM me, I will verify, and best of all I will shut up.

The M6 pre-reqs are very clearly stated on ATRRS (must have experience as a 68W) and classes are geared for active component. The Guard does not need LPN/LVNs.

I would really like to discourage people from thinking that they can walk into a recruiters office and demand this. It's ridiculous.

If you really REALLY want M6, get off this website and go active duty.

Comment

[QUOTE=QuantumRN]OMG.... How long must we beat a dead horse?

Is there an ACTUAL person in the GUARD (not AD, and not my friend said... or there was this guy....) that has ACTUALLY gotten 68WM6 put in their enlistment contract RECENTLY????? If so, PM me, I will verify, and best of all I will shut up.

The M6 pre-reqs are very clearly stated on ATRRS (must have experience as a 68W) and classes are geared for active component. The Guard does not need LPN/LVNs.

I would really like to discourage people from thinking that they can walk into a recruiters office and demand this. It's ridiculous.

If you really REALLY want M6, get off this website and go active duty.[/QUOTE]

In my post, I was referring to active duty. These kids dont understand you cant get a job thats not available and the guard only works with jobs they need.

lol

have a good night Quantum :). I understand your pain.

Comment

Sorry..... I did forget to mention that my friend who got it is in the Reserves.... I was just simply saying he had it put in his contract. I agree with you, I don't believe we have a need for them.

Comment

There are sooooo many threads about this. With changes in enlistment bonuses, etc. I decided to forget about 68W with the ANG or even an M6 situation. I just spoke to an Army Reserve recruiter today and in Oregon there are 6 68WM6 spots. I will find out on Monday what's the deal with that, especially since he knows I am not prior service. We'll see.

Anyway, point is, I suggest you look at an MOS that's going to give you some sort of civilian certification and/or ability to test for.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses and I'm sorry if I was asking questions that have already been answered. I've been having trouble doing searches on this site. Everytime I'll search for "68w" it tells me 'Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms'. So I ended up having to search thru pages and pages of forums looking for 68w and after awhile decided this would be an easier approach.
                          I had never heard or been told that the Guard doesn't actually need nurses but that makes perfect sense, so thank you to all of you who helped me with that. I did take the advice to apply with the (regular, lol) Army. :- ). Also, I wasn't aware of the ATRRS so I will definately be checking that out as well. I did check with the ROTC program and it wasn't a viable option for my family due to time constraints, age limits, and the distance the school is away from my home. And the Reserves here in Michigan DO have 68WM6 spots available, if anyone is interested.

Again thank you all, you've been a huge help and good luck with everything.

Comment

The Guard does need and use nurses, they are just of the RN/BSN type.

Good luck with whichever path you choose! :)

Comment

[QUOTE=wildmojo]I don't believe we have a need for them.[/QUOTE]

Ill be sure to let NGB know your feelings :)

Comment

Working...
                              X