X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wear my uniform to this?

I sign the papers to join the National Guard in august, and will be in RSP til june 2010. My recruiter has already told me that I will get my ACUs shortly after I join. So I just had one question about wearing my uni. My brother in law is currently in Iraq and will be returning sometime in september or october. I will be going with the family to pick him up off the base, would it be proper if I wore my ACUs when I went? I know I wont officially be a soldier for another 9 or so months, so I wasnt sure if it was okay.

Also do you get a military ID when in RSP. Can you use that sort of thing to get on the base. Last time we went to visit him at the base, he had to wait outside at the gate for us, I thought it'd be easier if I could get get us on the base without him waiting in the cold.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kelsey

As for the uniform wearing, contact your RSP cadre and ask. Yes you can get an ID. With it I am able to go to the local Air Guard Base and go to the PX and do other stuff there. All I have to do is show them my ID at the gates they look at it and let me in.

Comment

[quote=FearNoKryptonite]I sign the papers to join the National Guard in august, and will be in RSP til june 2010. My recruiter has already told me that I will get my ACUs shortly after I join. So I just had one question about wearing my uni. My brother in law is currently in Iraq and will be returning sometime in september or october. I will be going with the family to pick him up off the base, would it be proper if I wore my ACUs when I went? I know I wont officially be a soldier for another 9 or so months, so I wasnt sure if it was okay.

Also do you get a military ID when in RSP. Can you use that sort of thing to get on the base. Last time we went to visit him at the base, he had to wait outside at the gate for us, I thought it'd be easier if I could get get us on the base without him waiting in the cold.

Thanks,
      Kelsey[/quote]

My take is that you are not a soldier until you graduate BCT, so why wear the uniform? Also, while you are in RSP, you are in paid status so you are issued an ID card that is afforded base entry and privileges.

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]My take is that you are not a soldier until you graduate BCT, so why wear the uniform? Also, while you are in RSP, you are in paid status so you are issued an ID card that is afforded base entry and privileges.[/QUOTE]

This is my personal opinion too. However, you'll need to ask your unit to be sure what their policies are. My gut says they won't mind.

Comment

Me personally, I dont feel that I am worthy to wear the uniform outside of RSP, until I graduate BCT. I would feel like I am masquerading as a soldier, and it would make me uncomfortable.

Comment

Bravo Dedicated....that's what I'm talking about. The uniform is earned, not just given to ya. [QUOTE=Dedicated]Me personally, I dont feel that I am worthy to wear the uniform outside of RSP, until I graduate BCT. I would feel like I am masquerading as a soldier, and it would make me uncomfortable.[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]My take is that you are not a soldier until you graduate BCT, so why wear the uniform? Also, while you are in RSP, you are in paid status so you are issued an ID card that is afforded base entry and privileges.[/QUOTE]

When you enlist into the ARNG you take one oath, so officialy he is a soldier and can wear the uniform, of course it has to be worn properly IA AR 670-1.

Most RSPs across the country issue ACUs as well have the soldiers wear them to drill.

But to answer your question , you are not on duty and not getting paid, and its not a ceremony (wedding, funeral such) so you probably should not be wearing them

Comment

Wisdom beyond measure. I was thinking the same thing; I wouldn't feel right wearing a uniform that I haven't earned...

Comment

The only people with ACUs at my RSP are the MOSQs that have been to basic.

Comment

agree to disagree

My contract says different.

If I were in the DEP the police wouldn't come pick me up if I was AWOL. There would still be time to back out.

Once you sign the line you are offically in the Natinoal Guard. Just nondeployable.

I agree that once battle handoff, is really when the rubber meets the road.

To answer that question I would say no, do not wear your ACU's.

I forget what they code RSP soldiers 09b or something, basically means you are useless.

Nothing to be ashamed of just not ready for battle. You're really in once your contracted. I really just collected 2,250 in FTA. I really got paid for last drill. I really went to the commissary last week, and need to go back for a hair cut. You dig.

[and yes I never spell check or check my grammar]
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 5th, 2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I find this interesting because I have been dying to get OUT of my ACU's. LOL

I am very proud to be a soldier but after BCT I could not wait to get my jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops on!

My family still has not seen me in my ACU's or my dress greens-- :eek:

Comment

My recruiter summed it up pretty good. "When your in that uniform, no one knows how long youv been in, what you do, or were you have been, for all anyone knows u just got back from iraq when you could have enlisted last week." I don't want people thinking im something I havn't become yet.

Comment

[QUOTE=FearNoKryptonite]I sign the papers to join the National Guard in august, and will be in RSP til june 2010. My recruiter has already told me that I will get my ACUs shortly after I join. So I just had one question about wearing my uni. My brother in law is currently in Iraq and will be returning sometime in september or october. I will be going with the family to pick him up off the base, would it be proper if I wore my ACUs when I went? I know I wont officially be a soldier for another 9 or so months, so I wasnt sure if it was okay.

Thanks,
                          Kelsey[/QUOTE]

I'll sum it up for you since everyone else seems to be giving you the wrong advice. According to regulations, YOU CANNOT wear your uniform unless you are in a military status. What that means is, you are either on orders or at a drill weekend. I tell my soldiers NOT to wear it because you are putting out the wrong message. The uniform is not a costume to be worn just for the heck of it. I know you want to wear it and when you put it on, take pride and stand stall. Don't wear it just because you want to look like a soldier. You know your a soldier and that's all that matters.

Comment

Also remember this,

If you are in military uniform and you are on base, you are required to identify and give the proper salute to officers. So if you don't know how to properly identify officers, don't walk around in your uniform... :D or you will be saluting everyone you see lol.

Comment

it's a fort, not a base. the airforce has bases

Thats the one thing I remember our XO told me at basic

(:

Comment

Working...
                              X