X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrest record

A friend of mine who has no posting rights yet asked me to post this question.

He was arrested 3 times his entire life. Once as a 14 year old, and twice as an adult. The juvenile arrest was for a BB gun incedent. He was never finger printed or processed, and was not convicted. 2nd was a breach of peace charge, once again never finger printed and never processed. 3rd charge was the worst. It was unlawful discharge of a fire arm, and reckless endangerment. He was arrested finger printed and processed. He was not convicted, and the record was erased.

Its been 7 years since the incedent, all background checks come up clear, and he made it through MEP's and enlisted. His recruiter told him that since all his background checks came up clear he did not have to disclose the arrests. He leaves this month for basic, and is worried. His recuiter says he doesnt have to worry cause MEP's would have said something by now. He Enlisted in December.

Should he be worried?

He read a law that the state of CT does not disclose info to the FBI if there was no conviction, and his record is truely cleared. He says the state of CT is one of few states that actually do that.
    Last edited by bmc1979; March 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM.

If CT doesnt release non convictions to the FBI and he hasnt heard anything yet then he may have got off lucky. He should have disclosed those items though because if they do come back then he could potentially be discharged for Fradulent Enlistment. Now...if they were actually dismissed then chances are he would just have to provide documents showing they were dismissed and he would be able to stay in. However...he would definitely be questioned as to why he did not disclose it to begin with.

Comment

hypothetical

Say he goes for a top secret security clearance, and when they interview the people he knows, they mention, the incident?

The best thing to do is be honest. If he ever goes for a top secret secuirty clearance they will probably find out somehow. The man has his ways.

If he doesn't need secret/top security clearance, I say gravy, "Don't ask don't tell."
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Well he shipped out, and still no issues. His MOS was infantry. His recruiter told him if they didnt find anything in 3 months than he will be ok. I dunno what to think. I will keep this post updated if his status changes. Well at least for the next 7 weeks. I ship out april 28th. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

this 'guy' has more than 3 charges it's more like 5 from what I counted.
          The BB gun thing we would need more like the real charge.The Peace Order that is a real gray area, the 'guy' could have been stalking or god knows what.The last one the discharge of a weapon isn't really that bad.

I guess his recruiter put him in 11b for a reason

Comment

I dont know the specific's of his charges. I think the breach of peace was an argument with his girlfriend. They were loud and the tenants in the apartment called the police. I know he wanted MP first, but the recruiter swayed him away for that. Now we know why. I know he didnt mind infantry, the same reason I chose it. We both have a couple friends who are active Army infantry, and they wouldnt let us live it down if we chose anything other lol. But thats a whole nother story.

Comment

[quote=bmc1979]I dont know the specific's of his charges. I think the breach of peace was an argument with his girlfriend. They were loud and the tenants in the apartment called the police. I know he wanted MP first, but the recruiter swayed him away for that. Now we know why. I know he didnt mind infantry, the same reason I chose it. We both have a couple friends who are active Army infantry, and they wouldnt let us live it down if we chose anything other lol. But thats a whole nother story.[/quote]

As a former cop and Army MP, this person is a no-go in my book even though they say that time helps to show that a person has remorse for what he has done. You break the law twice as an adult, you shouldnt get a government position regardless if its infantry.

Comment

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I mean if the person commited 2 serious crimes in his/her adult life than yes. But I know in CT if the police have to repsond to an argument physical or not, they are required to arrest both parties involved. From what I remember they had gotten into a loud argument, and that was it. I know from my personal experience being married and all, I have gotten into a loud argument with my wife. But I am sure thats why they dropped the charges against him.

I think they do it because some girl was murdered by her boyfriend. I dont recall.

Comment

[quote=bmc1979]I can agree with that to a certain extent. I mean if the person commited 2 serious crimes in his/her adult life than yes. But I know in CT if the police have to repsond to an argument physical or not, they are required to arrest both parties involved. From what I remember they had gotten into a loud argument, and that was it. I know from my personal experience being married and all, I have gotten into a loud argument with my wife. But I am sure thats why they dropped the charges against him.

I think they do it because some girl was murdered by her boyfriend. I dont recall.[/quote]

I lived in CT (Norwalk) for 8 years and seen many domestics where both parties were not arrested.

My relatives live in Danbury and Bridgeport.

Comment

Well it's a good thing you don't decide who gets in and who stays out then doesn't it??? I have two mis. on my adult record and I am not a bad person!

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I lived in CT (Norwalk) for 8 years and seen many domestics where both parties were not arrested.

My relatives live in Danbury and Bridgeport.[/QUOTE]

Maybe what I heard was hearsay than. I thought I heard once that was the law. They had to arrest both people, because one department didnt once, and the guy killed his girlfriend? I dunno.

But I mean he's not a bad person, I know his girlfriend back then was a physco. He ended up leaving her when he found out she had a drug problem behind his back. Best move he ever made. LOL

Comment

if

he was charged with a crime, they will find out, especially if it was in his home town.

Comment

I don't think the background check takes very long at all for Confidential clearance does it? I had a NACLC a couple weeks ago and it was returned in 3 days, just like they said it would be, and that's good enough for Secret, much less Confidential. I held a Secret during my last enlistment and I didn't mention a few blemishes on my juvenile record (expunged) and was fine. Now that I'm older, I learned a lot about the clearance process I didn't know then. I would have advised him to reveal what he knows about his past. If they can't find it, then they wouldn't have much to investigate. Either way, it's too late now, it's a moot point. I just hope if he needs a TS clearance in the next 10years or so, that they don't talk to someone who knows he got in trouble:eek:

Comment

Yeah I guess its really to late seeing he is already shipped. I guess he will just have to cross his fingers.

Comment

Working...
                            X