Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first RSP in [too much] detail...

[Summary/tips at the end if you don't want to read the whole thing…]

We were told to arrive at 0800, but most people were there by 0730. The first-timers separated into a classroom where we filled out paperwork, reviewed the material in the Stripes for Skills program, and watched "The Way of the Warrior: From RSP to BCT," which was good. The other recruits worked with M-16's.

At 1200, we had chow, which consisted of lousy catered pasta, meatballs and salad. We spent the whole afternoon drilling D&C, practicing all of the basic movements, formations, faces, saluting, etc. The 31B’s took an hour to meet with a MP 1LT, who was funny and informative. He confirmed that my unit would be deploying as part of JTF GTMO, which is great news despite knowing that I’ll be away for seventeen of the next nineteen months. Chow was at 1700, which was again lousy catered food. We were given the evening off to study in our barracks.

Our barracks were Quonset huts from the 1940’s, decrepit, unheated and just large to enough to barely fit sixteen cots. I was older than most of the recruits, but I could appreciate all of the sophomoric humor despite the overuse of profanity and “yo,” which I’ve learned is often used to end every 17-21 year-olds’ sentence. Despite not being allowed tobacco products and cell phones, some crept in the barracks despite the fact that our bags were completely searched. It was like summer camp, kids running around the post all night, making trouble, all the good stuff – while the cadre slept in a cabin down the way. Boys will be boys, I guess. Lights out was 2200, but the pizzas didn’t come until 2210, so the lights went out around 2300. I just watched for most of the evening and I'd recommend that no one attempts to bend the rules their first time, if ever.

Don't show up to your seventh drill without knowing your general orders and don't rat anyone out to the cadre. One could result in getting a garbage can of snow and ice dumped on you while you sleep and the other could result in the RSP version of a blanket party, if you could even call it that. Not that I witnessed either or even know any of the participants, but I'm just saying.

Formation in the morning was supposed to be at 0600, but the cadre called for us at 0535. Fortunately, most of us were up at 0450, so it wasn’t a big deal. After changing formations for a while, we did some pushups, flutter kicks and stretching. What ensued was an embarrassment. We went on a formation run at a 10:00 mile pace. Kids were falling out, puking on the side of the road and just plain sucking. After a half-mile, we switched into ability groups and there were still kids walking and puking all over the place. We finished up with more stretching and a few more pushups and flutter kicks. After personal hygiene, we had lousy morning chow.

At 0830, we had a first aid class with a SFC combat medic, who gave a great presentation on evaluating injuries, splinting, stopping bleeding and ways to carry a wounded soldier. At 1030, we did drills carrying wounded soldiers by their vests, on a seat made by two sets of arms (if that makes sense), a fireman’s carry and a 4-man litter evacuation. My partner and I carried a 285 lb. kid on a seat made by our arms and I had to fireman carry my 270 lb. partner. The smaller and younger recruits seemed to enjoy that. It was fun.

We had MRE’s for chow and we weren’t allowed to use the heaters indoors. Rice and beans, imitation pork chop, manicotti, etc. don’t quite taste so great cold. After chow, we did D&C drills for a while before being dismissed at 1400.

Summary/tips:

- RSP is a great program. If it fits your schedule as far as when you want to ship to BCT, it would be a great experience to attend at least 3-4 drills. It’s amazing how much you’ll learn.

- I was very impressed with the recruits who had been in the program for a few months. They had excellent demeanor, knowledge and just seemed well squared away. Conversely, some recruits in the program that long stood out, because they were still lagging. They had no excuse.

- Definitely learn your general orders and ranks before you attend. While it was funny to hear a SFC call for a celebration when someone said that he was a GEN, you don’t want to be that guy. Soldier’s creed, Army Values and phonetic alphabet would be the next things I’d learn if I had time. I knew all of that and never had a problem with a pop quiz to keep my spot in the chow line.

- No one was “smoked” besides a couple kids that had their hands in their pockets. They did pushups, flutter kicks and mountain climbers until they could do neither anymore, recovered and repeated. The worst group punishment was 20 pushups. Usually, it was “drop and give me 10.” Not difficult.

- Ask the other recruits what to do. You’ll be lost for much of your first day regarding the details. While most will correct you to prevent some extra PT, take it upon yourself to ask questions on the right way to do things.

- Practice PT! If you can't do a pushup, flutter kicks for 30 seconds or jog for a couple miles, get started! Don't be the guy who can't do one pushup or pukes two minutes into a double-time formation "run."

- Listen to your cadre. Pay attention to detail. Don’t be a jerk. Pay attention to detail.
    Last edited by chd; February 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM.

Well written and very informative, thanks!

How much did you run though? And did you do anything more physical than just running? Or is that about it.

Comment

I was Cadre this past weekend at RSP...TOO MUCH FUN!!!:D

Comment

[QUOTE=Patriot84]Well written and very informative, thanks!

How much did you run though? And did you do anything more physical than just running? Or is that about it.[/QUOTE]

We couldn't have run more than three miles total, with a formation and some marching in between. I'd guess 1.5 miles at 10:00 pace in formation. Then my group did a quick mile and a bunch of sprints. Others jogged, others walked and others puked. I wouldn't delay enlistment to prepare for RSP, but you better do PT every day in between your first and second drill if you're in poor shape.

As far as other stuff, we did some pushups and flutter kicks, a few rounds of each before and after running. It was our first drill, so we didn't catch too much PT for messing up. I was, however, surprised that the returning recruits didn't get more PT for their mistakes - would have presented a more realistic BCT situation.

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]I was Cadre this past weekend at RSP...TOO MUCH FUN!!!:D[/QUOTE]

Were you the good cop or the bad cop? And what was the worst "smoking" that you gave?

Comment

Ooo yes, the fun of RSP, I remember those days. Great post

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]
              - No one was “smoked” besides a couple kids that had their hands in their pockets. They did pushups, flutter kicks and mountain climbers until they could do neither anymore, recovered and repeated. The worst group punishment was 20 pushups. Usually, it was “drop and give me 10.” Not difficult.

[/QUOTE]
              Thats all!! Holy crap I wish I was in your RSP. LOL Yesterday at 1st formation we got it bad for about 15 minutes. Then a short time after our pt test that nobody wanted to call "at ease" when a DS entered the room. That earned us a 10 min smoking plus another 10 min low crawling around the drill hall. EVERYONE was very sore last night. This was not my worst RSP at all, but I expect a whole lot more in about 2 weeks at FLW.:D

Comment

[quote=kswat07]Thats all!! Holy crap I wish I was in your RSP. LOL Yesterday at 1st formation we got it bad for about 15 minutes. Then a short time after our pt test that nobody wanted to call "at ease" when a DS entered the room. That earned us a 10 min smoking plus another 10 min low crawling around the drill hall. EVERYONE was very sore last night. This was not my worst RSP at all, but I expect a whole lot more in about 2 weeks at FLW.:D[/quote]

When I was at FLW for BCT, we got smoked so bad every night for the first 3 weeks that the walls and ceiling were dripping of our own sweat (no joke). DS Love had NO love in her whatsoever.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]Were you the good cop or the bad cop? And what was the worst "smoking" that you gave?[/QUOTE]

Warrior Det did an OUTSTSANDING job this weekend. I didn't smoke that much at all. We had alot of great training though. I really like doing the over night, where I teach Fire Watch, and General Orders, etc.

I think that as long as my soldiers stay motivated, I will "train" them, not smoke them for things they do not know. When they loose thier motivation, then...well...bang your face.:D

Comment

This post just goes to show that every RSP is drifferent!!!!

Ours is not that bad, but we don't do much highspeed stuff. Next month thoughwe are going to get the M16's out and do some simulator type stuff in the drill hall. Then in April we are going to the main RSB HQ to do some problem solving type of course - so it is getting better. It always seems that we run out of time - we learned the first aid stuff but never got around to actually doing it!

I enjoy it though - yesterday we were dismissed at 1000 - not bad! I did get told that "I had high Hopes for you" when I was burned on the pushups and could not get father than half way up!

Good times!

The PT Sunday is the hardest, but again if you are in shape it is not bad.

Comment

Wow yeah my first RSP was a lot different. We got there are 0930 and formed up. All of us Red phasers were issued Uniforms, PT gear, all that. We we weighed in, then split off the main group to do a "Welcome to RSP class" and recieved our battle books. When we got back with most of them, whoever didn't call in about the news letter, or had to be taped, formed up and marched outside, they were gone for an hour and when they got back they were COVERED in mud, sweat and throwup lol.

While waiting in the chow line, Sgt's walked around and quized people on random ****, and if they got it wrong they did pushups and went to the back on the line. After chow we did round robin, were we went to like 5 different classes, all an hour long. We learned Map Nav, How to do a splint and help a downed battle buddy, Military time and alphabet. Had to memorize ranks and 3 general orders, we kept getting smoked cause this retard kept ****ing up military time. Formed up for chow again, after that the real fun began.

We did "Team Building Activitys" for a good 2 hours. Running, pushups, flutter kicks,wall sits and a bunch of arm workouts constantly. It was awesome lol.

Woke up at 0430, put our **** away, PT for 2 hours, chow, 1 mile quick march in ACU's, Review of the weekend, Dismissed at 1100.

Comment

From everyones experiences it sounds like a lot of fun. Of course Kwat's seemed to have it the toughiest though ;)

Other than Kwat's experience I feel a lot more at ease about RSP, thought it'd be harder. But it seems like its more oriented towards teaching you how to be a soldier for when you get to basic than to "smoke you" or make you puke. Of course if you're out of shape than any kind of physical activity is going to be smoking you heh.

Thanks for all the informative write ups. Always enjoyable to hear about others experiences.

Comment

Re: My first RSP in [too much] detail...

That was a great post/story.

I should be attending my first RSP drill on the 15th of the month. I'm very excited.

Comment

I'm bringing an old thread to life apparently. I went to drills twice as a guest before signing my contract. The first time went something like this:
                            0800 first formation
                            0815 PT test
                            0900-1130- classroom time (we mostly just sat around and talked because the SFC who was supossed to be teaching the white phase wasn't there and all the other Sgt.s were busy)
                            1200 chow
                            1230 more classroom time (by this time they had found a Sgt with enough time to get in our classroom) we wen't over the general commands and the RSP soldiers filled out thier paperwork that says nothing has changed since last month
                            1300-1445 memorization of the phonetic alphabet, general commands and rank structure (with 'motivation')
                            1500 final ranks
                            1505 I ran to the bathroom to puke lol

second drill went a little like this
                            0800- first formation
                            0830- get on buses
                            0830-1130- bus ride to Ft. McCoy
                            1200- 10 min chow (MRE's cold)
                            1210- warm ups
                            1220- run through of obsticle courses in groups
                            1330- go through first obsticle course
                            1400- team challenges
                            1500- second obsticle course
                            1520- smoking because guests finnished faster than the soldiers (aka me :) )
                            1530-1830- bus ride home watching anchor man/step brothers
                            1840-final ranks/night chow

both weekends I only went on saturdays because I had to work sundays but my recrutier said they did road marches and classroom time. also the day after Ft. McCoy they had to do a PT test still. I did not envy them.

Comment

Which RSP do you attend? I just got a assigned to the one out of Rice Lake, WI.

Comment

Working...
                              X