Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letters of recommendation for enlistment advice.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters of recommendation for enlistment advice.

I have been in trouble in the past (DWI/DUI), to the point that I need three letters of recommendation for enlistment. I am still on probation and thus disqualified but that gives me time to improve myself mentally and physically. My lawyer is confidant I can be released from probation early. Perhaps as early as this summer.

I have been in contact with the local Red Cross unit and will be going in for an interview this week. They have done the background check, are aware of my legal situation and are ready to take the next step with me. I will most likely be working in Armed Forces Emergency Services and Disaster Relief. The volunteer coordinator is retired Army. I am assuming this would be a great letter of recommendation if I bust my tail and do well. Your thoughts?

The Federal Government is recruiting local folks all over the country to do part time work for the upcoming Census. The work is political: go door to door talking to people about the paperwork they need to fill out, answer questions, collect data, and so forth. Perhaps a letter of recommendation from a Federal employee would carry some weight? Am I living in a fantasy world? Thoughts?

Obviously my current full time employer of over ten years would be included as well.

I do not go to school or play sports so the “ask your teacher or coach” deal is out for me. Hoping to hear some ideas from folks on what they heard works, or what some other soldiers have used. I understand each person reviewing the letters is different but I want to do the best I can.

Also I know if one has served in the Peace Corps that can prevent them from getting some jobs or security clearance. Is that true for any other organizations, such as the Red Cross?

Why would working in the Peace Corps prevent you from getting a job or security clearance? The Peace Corps is a US government agency with headquarters in DC.

Where did you get that claim from?

Comment

Perhaps only overseas

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/98c.htm[/url]

(8) Never been a member of the U.S. Peace Corps, except as specified in AR 6 14-200, chapter 1.

Overseas service in the Peace Corps can block you from getting clearance for some Intel MOS.

Comment

letter from your chaplin?

Comment

Since this is a common theme, we need to open up a "I been in big time trouble" thread since some of these candidates are somewhat untouchable.

Comment

still says nothing about security clearances

[QUOTE=Adam6][url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/98c.htm[/url]

(8) Never been a member of the U.S. Peace Corps, except as specified in AR 6 14-200, chapter 1.

Overseas service in the Peace Corps can block you from getting clearance for some Intel MOS.[/QUOTE]

I still don't know where you are getting anything about security clearances...

AR 614-200, Chapter 3, Section 1, 3-2:
            d. Former members of the Peace Corps will not be assigned to military intelligence duties for a period of four years following service with the Peace Corps. Soldiers who acquire an intelligence specialty after four years are ineligible for overseas intelligence duty in any country where they served or were trained to serve with the Peace Corps. The term “former member of the Peace Corps” includes former Peace Corps volunteers, volunteer leaders, and staff members. The term does not include persons who attended Peace Corps training but did not go OCONUS with the Peace Corps. This assignment restriction of former Peace Corps Soldiers will not be waived.

So Peace Corps has no bearing on a security clearance in this regulation you mentioned. It just says that you cannot do an intel MOS for 4 years after you leave the Peace Corps, and after that you are good to go, you just can't do intel duty in a country where you served with the Peace Corps.

Who told you it would deny a security clearance? And by the way, usmilitary.about.com is a good source of basic information, but IT IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE. Sometimes info there is wrong or incomplete or not updated.

Comment

Working...
            X