X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army vs. Marine BCT

I was speaking with one of my friends who recently graduated Marine BCT. He was telling me that Marine boot camp is a bit more difficult than Army basic, at least mentally. Is this actually true?

I have also heard from some Army friends that Army BCT is pretty much the same as Marine basic, just without the swim qualification. Any insight would be appreciated. I am going to join the guard so I am trying to get an idea of what basic will be like. These forums are a great help by the way. Thanks.

One of my old friends a few years back went off to marine boot camp. We got one letter from him that he hurriedly scribbled down while sitting on top of a dryer waiting for his clothes. He had quite a few horror stories when he came back, including of two recruits that attempted suicide and another that nearly died while trying to run away from boot camp. Lots of verbal abuse and physical punishments from the DIs.

But he also said it was the greatest time of his life and he loved every minute of it. I don't get marines. He's now stationed in Japan.

I haven't been to basic yet. But lots of authors who write about it have listed Army BCT as being the second hardest, behind marine boot camp (which is longer).

Comment

Infantry school (and maybe scout school) is the last saving grace the Army has left.

Everything else seems to be a cakewalk.

Comment

Wait One, Chief and 7011USMC will be by, they havent made a Marine post today to my knowledge.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]Wait One, Chief and 7011USMC will be by, they havent made a Marine post today to my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Hook line and sink.....:D. I've busted my money shot on this till I'm blue in the face:rolleyes: Did you know the airforce increased their BMT from 6 to 8 weeks. Added an extra week of crew serve weapons, CLS, and FTX. Now thats what I call "above all".........They are trying to catch up to the Army on slogan change LOL!

Comment

Just do a search on my posts on Army Basic Training and Marine Boot Camp. I experienced both, two police academies and a Warrant Officer Candidate School, mix in some PLDC and BNCOC lol (and a semester of fraternal hazing pledging Lambda Upsilon Lambda now Lambda Alpha Upsilon). Everybody knows my views by this time now. Even though they are different in many ways and the same in some. What is use to be was that Marines fight and take ground while the Army holds it. Army did amphibious warfare too and but left it with the Marines focusing on Airborne doctrine now AA is the way to go ;). Its perspective of which is tougher is on who served with who during what time. They dont send soldiers to a month of infantry school like they do in the Marines. Every Marine a rifleman is what the Army is doing now with weapons 24/7 (what the Corps always have been doing).

Marine Snipers!! Army Rangers!!! Marine Recons!! Army Sappers!! Army Special Forces!! Now the Corps have Special OPs. Each with its own niche.

Anyway, soldiers and marines are both dying on the battlefield and the Army is the bulk of them.
            Last edited by WO1 Quinones; December 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Hahahhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeroed Out.
              Last edited by Flyby; June 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Zeroed Out.
                Last edited by Flyby; June 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Well its like the Army started its own sniper school. I remember when soldiers use to attend Marine Sniper school and the Marines are still attending Army Jump school. Its all about train the trainer now and days and save some money.

Comment

Army Rifle Range

Zeroed Out.
                    Last edited by Flyby; June 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

To be honest I did better on KD then with Army pop-ups. Yes the ranges were closer but if you didnt know the sequence, you might miss a target here or there. Its just that the Army wasnt really big on reflexive fire (until now) or shooting from other positions besides foxhole (fighting hole) and prone. I miss taking the sling (special sling) off the M-16 and tightening it around my arm. I miss qualifying from the sitting, kneeling and standing positions. As an MP we had the combat pistol course and shot from those positions. Hit perfect almost everytime.

Even from the Corps, you have pistol familiarization (well this was the .45 cal in my day before the whimpy 9mm became ubiquitious). Not the Army.
                      Last edited by WO1 Quinones; December 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Rifle Range

Zeroed Out.
                        Last edited by Flyby; June 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Well its trying to emulate a hasty fighting position so that is why for the sand bags but like you said, what if no sandbag?

Comment

i went to marine basic in 2007. its all mental...they play games more than anything..my DI's would instigate two recruits to fight and then just go in their house and let it drag out. when it was finished they would come out and take us to the sandpit for awhile.i volunteered for the quarterdeck and the sand pit all the time so i was used to it. everything else was easy.. i was 1 or 4 people out of 276 that passed swim qual 2. only thing i had problems with were pullups... long arms and heavy weight dont go good together..rifle qualification wasnt bad. also no matter what batallion you were in you did drill out of the arse..i spent atleast 4 hours a day in a row on the drill pad learning it..if we werent there we were in the pit getting thrashed for messing up on the pad.i cant say anything about the army i guess ill have to find out for myself. either way every branch has its own way of screwing with the recruits in basic.

Comment

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but MC boot is not co-ed. Also, it's 13 weeks in length.

I hear all this "it's a mental thing"... I guess I used to think that too, but you're right, you have to be smart. Most recruits end up missing boot, and it's quite a change/culture shock when they get into the fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X