X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i bring with me to basic?

I'm have a general idea on what to bring. but im sure someone here can tell me exactly what to bring :)..

1. $20-$50
    2. cheap duffel bag
    3. razor/razor blades
    4. debit card
    5. my contacts / glasses (they will take them and lock them up for me until i graduate, right?)
    6. 2 days worth of clothes
    7. running shoes?
    8. would i have to bring copies of my b/c, ss card, marriage license, highschool diploma? my recruiter told me dont worry
    about bringing them things because they already have them, has anyone ran into problems from NOT bringing them when they
    were told to not worry about bringing them?

Please feel free to take away / add anything that is necessary to bring with me to BCT. I would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Everything there sounds about right....bring copies of EVERY documentation. The army is really good at loosing paperwork or important information.

When I enlisted, I gave them a copy of my marriage certificate, and they still had the wrong date of marriage listed in my 201 file. Trust me, it happens.

So yeah everything there, plus a couple copies of marriage cert, HS Diploma, Drivers license, SS card (bring the originals too), copy of Wife's SS Card/Drivers license, Birth certificate of yourself, wife, and child.

Basically anything that could go wrong, might go wrong, better to be prepared.

Comment

[quote=idontknow]I'm have a general idea on what to bring. but im sure someone here can tell me exactly what to bring :)..

1. $20-$50
      2. cheap duffel bag
      3. razor/razor blades
      4. debit card
      5. my contacts / glasses (they will take them and lock them up for me until i graduate, right?)
      6. 2 days worth of clothes
      7. running shoes?
      8. would i have to bring copies of my b/c, ss card, marriage license, highschool diploma? my recruiter told me dont worry
      about bringing them things because they already have them, has anyone ran into problems from NOT bringing them when they
      were told to not worry about bringing them?

Please feel free to take away / add anything that is necessary to bring with me to BCT. I would greatly appreciate suggestions.[/quote]

I dont know, does any leadership in your RSP or Recruiter provide you with the necessary guidances or reading literature needed for this question?

Comment

This is what this forum is for. People to come and ask questions. I actually got a list from the forum over a year ago that was way better than what my Recruiter and Rsp gave me. There are many on here that recently went through it and they are more up to speed then the others that were mentioned. Great question.

You may get stuck at the MEPS hotel longer than expected , in the airport, or a very short delay of going to the PX once in Reception

small bottle of soap could also come in handy or a bar of it
        shaving cream if applies
        addresses of those you want to write and phone numbers (if you dont have a break between bct/ait you may want a few phone numbers for when you get to use a cell
        the few changes of clothing should be comfy but appropriete and according to what the weather should be like along with underwear and socks
        small deoderant
        shower shoes/towel
        just a small amount of everything that you normally use on a daily basis

Comment

Just as an example, here is what I found on the Fort Knox web-site under "BCT/AIT what should I bring?"

I am sure you can find similar info. based on the location of your BCT.

James

[B][U]CLOTHING QTY [/U][/B]

Change of clothes 1 set
          White underwear 3 sets
          Small Suitcase/gym bag
          (Only bring a bag to pack listed items and clothing worn to BCT) 1 ea.
          Lock
          (combination or padlock; additional lock will be purchased at the PX) 1 ea.

White athletic socks (no color bands, designs or logos)
          (additional socks will be purchased at the PX) 1 pr.
          Disposable/safety razor with blades 1 ea.
          Shaving cream 1 ea.
          Toothbrush with case 1 ea.
          Hairbrush or 6" comb 1 ea.
          Washcloth
          (additional items will be purchased at the PX) 1 ea.
          Towel
          Antiperspirant/Deodorant 1 ea.
          Shower shoes 1 pr.
          Toothpaste 1 ea.
          Dental floss 1 ea.
          Shampoo 1 ea.
          Soap 1 ea.
          Soap case 1 ea.

[B][U]DOCUMENTS[/U][/B]
          Money ($10 but no more than $50 cash)
          Traveler's Checks or Money Orders (Personal checks are not recommended because of limited check-cashing facilities)

Bank, Savings and Loan, or Credit Union Account (number, name, and address)

Direct Deposit Form 1199 signed by a bank official, or the name, address and account number and routing number of your financial institution.

Driver's License

Social Security Card

If applicable, notarized copies of your Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Separation Order , Affidavit of Support for Parents

Notarized copies of Birth Certificates for all your children under 18
          Court Documents and direct deposit forms if ordered to pay spousal and/or child support. (Ask your recruiter for full details)
          The name, Social Security number and military address of your spouse if you are married to another service member in the Army or any other military component.
          Copies of your lease agreement or rental contract for any dependents residing outside of government quarters.
          Documentation of any ROTC/JROTC experience and college transcripts.
          Proof of Citizenship (aliens only)
          Be sure to have all copies of orders and documents issued by your unit recruiter and/or MEPS. These orders must be delivered by you and by hand. Travel and meal tickets will be provided.
          Writing Paper (one pad and one small notebook)
          Envelopes (one box)
          Pencil and Ball Point Pen (at least one each, pen should be blue-black ink)

[B][U]WHAT NOT TO BRING[/U][/B]
          Family
          Pets
          Privately Owned Vehicles
          Expensive Personal Items (Camera's, radios, Jewelry, etc)
          All drugs, to include prescription and non-prescription. This includes, but is not limited to: aspirin, vitamins, prescription and over-the-counter drugs of any type. (If Soldiers arrive with a prescription drug, they will surrender the prescription medication to the Initial Receiving Branch NCO for review by a medical doctor.)
          Marijuana/hashish in any form or any other illegal drug.
          Drug paraphernalia to include, but not limited to, cigarette papers, roach clips, coke spoons, hash, pipes/bowls, syringes, or other items used for/with illegal drugs.
          Beer, wine, or any type of alcoholic drink.
          Obscene or ****ographic material .
          Weapons of any type (to include pocket knives)
          Playing cards, dice, or any type of gambling devices.
          Cigarette/tobacco products in any form.

Comment

I was addressing the recruit :) I know there is nothing wrong with asking questions on the forum and helping your battle buddy but alot of the questions that are being asked should have been asked and answered to individuals in the recruits RSP COC or by the Recruiter guiding this new trainee. So you saying that in today's Army, someone is slipping up in prepping a new trainee that they need to come to a forum? What about someone didnt have access to a computer or internet? Totally possible. We cant just say add this and that without considering the financial budget as well. Sorry, I came from a time when NCOs/leaders did their job and took care of people. It all starts at day 1. Every recruiter that I have dealt with either Army or Marine has given me the necessary guidance to be successful and I didnt have a forum to log on to. You dont want to allow someone to get in the habit and venting the problems (like some) on a public internet forum. I was taught to be a man and stand on my own two feet and given a nudge ever so slightly. Tough love troop but new mindsets in today's military.

He just should know what might be deemed as contraband.

I rather have a recruiter post a thread with the latest requirements and that should solve it.
            Last edited by WO1 Quinones; October 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

What to bring...

I thought the box of envelopes was too big, so I bought a plastic pencil box, loaded it with envelopes and stamps, and even pre-addressed some of them...

Some moleskin wouldn't hurt...

Sunscreen if you are "pigment deficient" like me...

The insides of your issue boots are flat...Go to a sporting goods store and get some replacement inserts for work boots...The padding is well worth it...
              Last edited by California Major; October 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Wow bigger list today. We just was told to bring basic items since we were getting CHITS and that we were buying all the gear and stuff we needed at clothing and sales or baby PX. Why waste money on a duffle if you going to get issued one? IDK rent the movie Boys in Company C - Its funny when they arrive at Receiving.
                Last edited by WO1 Quinones; October 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Another good point..

The Chief's email reminds me of another good point...

Pack light!

You should not bring more than what fits in an over night bag...You are wearing one set of clothes, pack two changes of underwear...

When you are humping a full duffle bag plus your civilian luggage off that bus, you are going to look at the idiots who packed like they are on vacation and laugh...trust me on this one...

And when you ship to AIT, you are going to have plenty of time to buy more clothes...or have mom ship them...again, keep it light...Because you have to hump all that stuff home, too!

Comment

-Xbox
                    -PSP if you have one
                    -Iphone or Blackberry
                    -Laptop
                    -Camera
                    -Small BBQ grill for cookouts
                    -Cooler
                    -Fishin pole
                    -Softball glove
                    -cleats

Comment

I asked at RSP (I had 11 months of it) what to bring, I was told to ask Recruiter. Recruiter had no idea, said to look it up online. Its just one case and hopefully doesnt happen elsewhere. I had asked alot of questions on here pre IET that I just couldnt get answers from at RSP or Recruiter. I was lucky to have a network of NCOs in my personal life that helped alot, but they werent up to speed on alot of current IET things and I really appreciated this forum. Thats where i'm coming from. Alot of RSP and Recruiters will answer things, but you just know it doesnt sound exactly right. Then you find out they are going by things they did years and years ago but some things have changed. You are basically done with your Recruiter that recruited you once you ship to IET. You get a new Readiness NCO at new unit. You do come back for one RSP, but you are kept busy, the cadre doesnt hear the new things that are happening. Not by fault of their own, it just doesnt happen. So they are going on old news.

Comment

I'm glad they seem to have changed the list. I just graduated from Ft Knox, and I took all the stuff on the list my recruiter gave me. It was similar to your list but with larger quantities. I got to buy it all again (no choice) with the $250 advance on my first check we got. (You'll get one too.) Of course, the 12 pairs of white socks I ended up with came in handy. So, pack just to get you through reception to the point they issue your first ACUs. Make sure you have some method of accessing your bank account (ATM card, credit card, something) you will need to.

[QUOTE=GutshotStraight]Just as an example, here is what I found on the Fort Knox web-site under "BCT/AIT what should I bring?"

I am sure you can find similar info. based on the location of your BCT.

James

[B][U]CLOTHING QTY [/U][/B]

Change of clothes 1 set
                        White underwear 3 sets
                        Small Suitcase/gym bag
                        (Only bring a bag to pack listed items and clothing worn to BCT) 1 ea.
                        Lock
                        (combination or padlock; additional lock will be purchased at the PX) 1 ea.

White athletic socks (no color bands, designs or logos)
                        (additional socks will be purchased at the PX) 1 pr.
                        Disposable/safety razor with blades 1 ea.
                        Shaving cream 1 ea.
                        Toothbrush with case 1 ea.
                        Hairbrush or 6" comb 1 ea.
                        Washcloth
                        Towel
                        Antiperspirant/Deodorant 1 ea.
                        Shower shoes 1 pr.
                        Toothpaste 1 ea.
                        Dental floss 1 ea.
                        Shampoo 1 ea.
                        Soap 1 ea.
                        Soap case 1 ea.

[B][U]DOCUMENTS[/U][/B]
                        Money ($10 but no more than $50 cash)
                        Traveler's Checks or Money Orders (Personal checks are not recommended because of limited check-cashing facilities)

Bank, Savings and Loan, or Credit Union Account (number, name, and address)

Direct Deposit Form 1199 signed by a bank official, or the name, address and account number and routing number of your financial institution.

Driver's License

Social Security Card

If applicable, notarized copies of your Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Separation Order , Affidavit of Support for Parents

Notarized copies of Birth Certificates for all your children under 18
                        Court Documents and direct deposit forms if ordered to pay spousal and/or child support. (Ask your recruiter for full details)
                        The name, Social Security number and military address of your spouse if you are married to another service member in the Army or any other military component.
                        Copies of your lease agreement or rental contract for any dependents residing outside of government quarters.
                        Documentation of any ROTC/JROTC experience and college transcripts.
                        Proof of Citizenship (aliens only)
                        Be sure to have all copies of orders and documents issued by your unit recruiter and/or MEPS. These orders must be delivered by you and by hand. Travel and meal tickets will be provided.
                        Writing Paper (one pad and one small notebook)
                        Envelopes (one box)
                        Pencil and Ball Point Pen (at least one each, pen should be blue-black ink)

[B][U]WHAT NOT TO BRING[/U][/B]
                        Family
                        Pets
                        Privately Owned Vehicles
                        Expensive Personal Items (Camera's, radios, Jewelry, etc)
                        All drugs, to include prescription and non-prescription. This includes, but is not limited to: aspirin, vitamins, prescription and over-the-counter drugs of any type. (If Soldiers arrive with a prescription drug, they will surrender the prescription medication to the Initial Receiving Branch NCO for review by a medical doctor.)
                        Marijuana/hashish in any form or any other illegal drug.
                        Drug paraphernalia to include, but not limited to, cigarette papers, roach clips, coke spoons, hash, pipes/bowls, syringes, or other items used for/with illegal drugs.
                        Beer, wine, or any type of alcoholic drink.
                        Obscene or ****ographic material .
                        Weapons of any type (to include pocket knives)
                        Playing cards, dice, or any type of gambling devices.
                        Cigarette/tobacco products in any form.[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=LT_77]-Xbox
                          -PSP if you have one
                          -Iphone or Blackberry
                          -Laptop
                          -Camera
                          -Small BBQ grill for cookouts
                          -Cooler
                          -Fishin pole
                          -Softball glove
                          -cleats[/QUOTE]

Sir I took one look at this and strait up laughed my *** off for a good 10 minutes. This is the list I will refer to on my way to basic :D

Comment

Talk about contraband! ;)

If that will fit on my duffle with the other stuff I will give it a shot, I mean...What is the worst that can happen?

Comment

No rolling papers...... no coke spoons...... wait, what did I sign up for..?:D

Comment

Working...
                              X