Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video to watch prior to BCT

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts[/url]
    1987: Most of y'all weren't even born yet.

Re: video to watch prior to BCT

Actually the film was depicting conditions of 1967 prior to the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War (shown later in the movie). 1987 is when the film was released.

However, it's still a good segment to watch because it gives you an idea what boot camp/basic training is like and the general attitudes you'll come across with your DS and fellow recruits.

Comment

I went to boot camp at PISC MCRD 1982.I will say it was as close as close can get in a movie to the real deal. Gunny used too be a "hat" so it was a natural fit for him in the movie.

90% accurate from my vantage point. 10% inaccurate a Marine recruit would never sneak a jelly filled doughnut out of the chow hall (we didn't have pogey bait) in the chow hall and sneaking a round from the rifle range would be almost impossible with all the accountability of ammo.

Comment

[QUOTE=Squash][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts[/url]
        [B]1987: Most of y'all weren't even born yet.[/B][/QUOTE]
        I was... and I believe, after surviving BCT this summer, that only the infantry receive this type of training and treatment. Yea I got yelled at but I was never talked down to or called a maggot. Maybe because I was 35 years old? But point being, if you're not 11b, you'll not get this kind of training/treatment. Yes it will be hard/challenging.

Comment

Maybe a little softer than you 7011, but I went to MCRD in 1998. I will say 85% accurate except for the striking of recruits by the DI. It happened, but was not excepted. Actually, it was kind of funny. Our DI used to enjoy pushing over top-heavy recruits loaded with packs and gear who fell out of humps. One day there was a pu$$y that ratted him out. I had no sympathy for hump drops then or now. But that DI was disciplined.

Everything from the range to the DI angrily correcting imperfections at drill to the instillation of the killer mindset really brought me back (kind of ironic since the movie came out first, but still brought me back). Every command was executed by sounding off with a loud, motivated "kill".

DI: Port side make a head call
          Recruits: Port side make a head call aye aye, sir
          DI: Ready, move.
          Recruits: KILL
          and then the recruits proceed to take a pi$$

OR

DI: Platoon 05, prepare to take the chow hall.
          Recruits: 05 prepare to take the chow hall aye aye, sir.
          DI: AAAAAAAAATTACK
          Recruits: KILL

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]I was... and I believe, after surviving BCT this summer, that only the infantry receive this type of training and treatment. Yea I got yelled at but I was never talked down to or called a maggot. Maybe because I was 35 years old? But point being, if you're not 11b, you'll not get this kind of training/treatment. Yes it will be hard/challenging.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you got short changed Clyde:D.

Comment

[QUOTE=7011USMC]Sounds like you got short changed Clyde:D.[/QUOTE]
              I kinda feel like I did. I could have done it the hard way. I'm mentally as well as physically strong!

Comment

[QUOTE=AmPat]Everything from the range to the DI angrily correcting imperfections at drill to the instillation of the killer mindset really brought me back (kind of ironic since the movie came out first, but still brought me back). Every command was executed by sounding off with a loud, motivated "kill".
                [/QUOTE]

Yeah I did MCRD in '97. I saw some DI abuse too, but all of it was deserved. One early evening in the squad bay, a DI went out of control by tossing footlocker items at people basically thrashing the heck out of the place. The senior DI jumped in and tossed him out for the rest of the evening then proceeded to play games with us for the next few hours until taps played. For the only time in my life, I've never seen so many recruits crying...yeah, no joke...crying. The next day the LT showed up for those "have you ever been abused?" private interviews. I didn't see anything ;)

Yeah...everything was "kill" for me too. One thing they did harp on was no "sir sandwiches". i.e. "sir yes sir". Anyone that did that or referenced themselves in the first person got an ear full of DI.

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]I kinda feel like I did. I could have done it the hard way. I'm mentally as well as physically strong![/QUOTE]

Hooah good attitude! Better keep up with it Clyde (weight & tape)....don't wanna see you on here like some of these other cats: Saying I gotta RE3 and I'll do almost anything to get back in except; Give up my "twinkies", run, and do whatever it took in the first place to maintain my weight & fitness.:eek:

Comment

[QUOTE=clyde]I was... and I believe, after surviving BCT this summer, that only the infantry receive this type of training and treatment. Yea I got yelled at but I was never talked down to or called a maggot. Maybe because I was 35 years old? But point being, if you're not 11b, you'll not get this kind of training/treatment. Yes it will be hard/challenging.[/QUOTE]
                    i'm not so sure. as usual, it depends on the platoon. we were called worthless maggots, c** stains, piece of s*** pogues, p***ies, f*** faces. one of our DSs told us that we were such poor excuses for soldiers, if he ever saw us in combat he would kill us himself because we "made the army look like s***." another time, a DS took off his hat and threw it on the ground, pulled off his rank, and ripped off his badge, because a private had muttered something under his breath. the DS said "i will lose this f***ing job just to kick your a** right now." the kid backed down pretty hard.

not saying my BCT experience was as bad as full metal jacket, but it wasn't a pizza party.

Comment

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfxcq77FkdE[/url]
                      1981: The lighter side of Basic.

Comment

And that's how you get to work on the EM-50 Project. HUA! :p

Comment

[QUOTE=Lance13D] one of our DSs told us that we were such poor excuses for soldiers, if he ever saw us in combat he would kill us himself because we "made the army look like s***." another time, a DS took off his hat and threw it on the ground, pulled off his rank, and ripped off his badge, because a private had muttered something under his breath. the DS said "i will lose this f***ing job just to kick your a** right now." the kid backed down pretty hard.
                          [/QUOTE]

That's awesome.

Comment

Does the video show people "performing barracks maintenance"? I joked with another 09S in my cycle they should have put that in our graduation video because we did a lot of it.. mostly on our rears.

Comment

Working...
                            X