X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brm???

Im so nervous for BRM :( does anyone have any advice?

Re: Brm???

The thing that helps me the most is to slowly exhale and half way through that, squeeze the trigger. If you can get that down well, you'll fire good shots and it'll come naturally to you anytime you fire a gun.

Comment

[QUOTE=italiancutie5406]Im so nervous for BRM :( does anyone have any advice?[/QUOTE]

Do exactly what the DS tells you, and ignore everyone else. Statistically speaking, if you know nothing about shooting and have zero experience, you will qualify on the weapon if you do precisely what you're told. You may not shoot expert, but you will qualify. The people who don't qualify are those that don't follow instructions, who think they know better, who take the instructions and modify them, and who rush through the steps. Take particular care on the zero range, because if your weapon isn't zeroed properly, it's pretty well impossible to qualify.

Comment

I agree. Listen to your DS. It's their job to get you BRM qualified, and they know what they're doing.

Comment

I'm guessing you have never shot before?

You will do fine, probably better than those who THINK they can shoot...you have no bad habits to be un-learned, which is an advantage.

Comment

The biggest thing that I found that helped people was controlling your breathing (as another poster stated) and holding the trigger back after your trigger squeeze. This helps keep you from jerking the trigger, throwing your sight picture off.

That, and listening to what your DS's say. I had never really shot much before, and I managed Sharpshooter, just by doing what they told me.

Comment

The Major is dead on. Do exactly what the DSs tell you and ignore everyone else. Hunters and sport shooters usually end up messing up waaay more than the novice shooters. The M-16A2 is not a deer rifle nor do you rely on "Kentucky Windage"... :)
              Last edited by TxIntel 1978; December 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=jmclaughlin1701]The Major is dead on. Do exactly what the DSs tell you and ignore everyone else. Hunters and sport shooters usually end up messing up waaay more than the novice shooters. The M-16A1 is not a deer rifle nor do you rely on "Kentucky Windage"... :)[/QUOTE]

m16 a1 haven't shot that in 16 years

M16A2 is what they use now

just qualified with a M4 this year for the first time

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]m16 a1 haven't shot that in 16 years

M16A2 is what they use now

just qualified with a M4 this year for the first time[/QUOTE]

Oops. Meant M16A2.

Comment

We used A4's at Benning (non-Inf).

Comment

I have never shot a real weapon before and qualified with a 35 out of 40. Like everyone else is saying, just listen to what your DS tells you, and focus. Zeroing and grouping was a struggle for me, so if you have trouble too, don't worry, qualifying is easier than zeroing(or at least it was for me).

Comment

ZEROing for me was always harder than actually qualifying. Primarily because everything has to be consectutive.

Comment

[QUOTE=knelson]We used A4's at Benning (non-Inf).[/QUOTE]
                          used them too over the summer then M16 A2 at AIT.

Here is my take... from someone who failed miserably [B]every time[/B] I shot! It took me 2 hours to zero. The first hour I did ok, but then started getting tired and became sloppy. DS told me to switch with my coach... My coach proceed to zero within the first 3 mags :( how frustrating to watch. Ate chow and waited and coached till my DS said try again. Finally, he passed me (grudgingly) and said "get the he** out of here old man." Qualifying was even worse. I'd shoot 2 times each time out and would score like 15 then 14. We did a "video game" style of shooting called EST 2000. At first I did well. But then, ugh, I got worse. All my DS gave up on me... So I know first hand how it feels to shoot over and over and over and...

Qualification day I waited 2 1/2 hours to take my first shot... 15 :( like normal. Then our platoon got smoked because over 1/2 of us didn't received a first time go. It was pretty bad too. DS was pis*ed. Then we headed over to try again... I waited another 2 hours to shoot my second time. I knew I had done a little better, but I don't think I actually qualified. They told me I got a 25 and passed...

Ok, now the funny part. Went to Ft. Lee, VA for 92Y training. Went to Log Warrior and had to "re qualify" with my weapon. Well, I zeroed the very first time out with 2 mags. Then shot very well on the qualification. (the targets were much closer and the shots were from a standing, kneeling, and prone position behind a barrier.

Long story short. Yea I sucked, but the whole time, I did what the DS said to do... Good breathing, SAME SIGHT PIC (this was the hard part for me), and looking at the targets down range with both eyes open, after shooting return the sight to the center of the lane. I did improve but I never gave up.

Comment

In BCT my rear sight aperture was loose and moved side to side after every shot so my shots were all over the place. After about 50 rds I realized it was doing that and the DS took the weapon to an armorer(?) and came back with it fixed. I then zeroed in 3 mags.

Comment

memorize the shooting order. While you are waiting in line at pre-qual watch the order they come up and write them down. Also, use the mag as a support when you shoot unsupported. It isnt unauthorized, they just dont like it. On qual day you are alone on the shooting block and nobody is there to tell you otherwise. Trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X