X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need motivation!!!

As each day passes, I find it harder and harder to make myself go running. I have until Jan. but I have another 1-1-1 on the 22nd and I dont want to be the guy running a 10min. mile again. I've always played baseball growing up (9 years) and I've never been hot at running, even when I played sports... I dont know if I have short muscles in my legs or what... but no matter how much stretching I do, my left shin always ends up hurting... not the bone but the actual muscle beside the bone...

I've been doing push ups and sit ups everyday for about 2 weeks now and havent noticed a difference.... there any certain way I should be doing them? I do about 20-25 of each, 3x a day.

Re: I need motivation!!!

Try doing 20-25x3 in the morining and do it again in the evening. By doing it your way you are only training your body for 20-25. You should work out your muscles until you reach muscle failure. Training your body just for the 1-1-1 isn't going to do all that good when you get to BCT. Yes they do a 1-1-1 at the beginning, but it really just gives the DS' your fitness level. Start training for the 2-2-2.

Occasionally run longer distances than 2 miles this will build endurance. As for your shin splints, there could be a number of reasons why you have them. You may just need to get a different running shoe or even just run until you can't feel them anymore. When your legs get in better shape they should get better. Also your diet can have some affect on them. Drink alot of water and eat more bananas.

Comment

Mix up your runs. Some days do long distance, some days run for time, some days do sprints. Also, try running different routes for a change of scenery. During your runs, throw in some sprints, skipping, and run backwards.

Comment

[QUOTE=kswat07]Try doing 20-25x3 in the morining and do it again in the evening. By doing it your way you are only training your body for 20-25. You should work out your muscles until you reach muscle failure. Training your body just for the 1-1-1 isn't going to do all that good when you get to BCT. Yes they do a 1-1-1 at the beginning, but it really just gives the DS' your fitness level. Start training for the 2-2-2.

Occasionally run longer distances than 2 miles this will build endurance. As for your shin splints, there could be a number of reasons why you have them. You may just need to get a different running shoe or even just run until you can't feel them anymore. When your legs get in better shape they should get better. Also your diet can have some affect on them. Drink alot of water and eat more bananas.[/QUOTE]

How many bananas should I eat per day? And should I eat them right before running or 30 min. before running?

Starting tomorrow, Im doing p90x again...

Comment

Listen to music when your work out, it helps motivate me. Push yourself to do more, just when you think you are done, go a little further, push a little harder. No matter your fitness level, the DSs are going to push you to do more, so get used to it now. I started with hundredpushups.com and it helped me increase from 22 to 40 in the first couple weeks.

I'm in the same boat as you with the shins. I took two weeks off from running, and now I'm starting slow. I'd rather be a little behind than get on medical profile at the beginning of BCT.

FWIW I ship in Jan as well, good luck.

marcus

Comment

Keep it simple. Your joining the Army and going thru BCT not Arnold's classic! Starting running at least 2-3 miles a day (5 times a week) doesn't have to be a 5 or 6 min miles pace (unless that is your normal pace). Try a 7-8 min mile pace.

Sit ups, and push ups as well 5 times a week. One day a week ruck 4-5 miles, and then rest one day.

Benching 300 lbs is nice and squating 600 lbs is pretty darn good. But you have to be able to pass an APFT which consist of running, situps, and pushups.

So you need to practice those things. If you go to basic doing a 250 or better (APFT); BCT will be gravy! Good luck and remember keep it simple and don't over think it.

Comment

Try runnin in new places, buy a gadget like a GPS or heart monitor something that tracks your runs so you can set goals then beat them. If you have an Iphone there is a really great running app called Run Keeper Pro that app keeps me motivated and I can't wait to run.

Comment

This isn't practical training advice, but something I keep in mind when too many good reasons not to push away from the desk and get to the gym start crowding my mind. I saw it on another forum years ago and it has stuck with me ever since:

[I]Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do... His rucksack weighs what he weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'... he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700... he is home.
                He knows only the cause... Now, who wants to quit?[/I]

That said, I'm off for some PT.

Comment

Motivation? Self-doubt should be all the motivation needed.

Comment

[COLOR=black]I agree about pushing until muscle failure, like Kswat said...plus if you're doing the same thing all the time, it's not hard for you anymore, therefore not challenging and less rewarding when you accomplish--what you already know you will accomplish...so, you have to push yourself.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black]I'm no fitness expert by any means, but I do go to a martial arts gym and so have picked up some good ideas for conditioning there…one of the boxing coaches was helping me out with pushup drills, and as I was nearing the end of them and was struggling, he said to me, “Now, when you feel like you just can’t do any more-“ and I interrupted and said, “[I]Then[/I] I can stop?” (as I relievedly prepared to drop to the (nasty, smelly) floor and just lie there for a bit!), but he said, “No. Then you make sure you keep doing more.” ---needless to say with that kind of attitude being drilled into me, my pushup count has steadily improved. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black]Granted it’s easier to push yourself when someone is hovering over you telling you and encouraging you to keep going, but, you can also remember these kinds of things in your head and just say them to yourself. I also love the quote posted by MAJ Powers...I posted it on my FB page and had more people comment on it (I also think his quote could apply that to other non-military things, with a little creative altering). Remember things like that…that’s good motivation in itself.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black]I also agree with mixing things up, and MUSIC, like the other posters said. Try running in different places. Run with a weighted vest on...you won't get as far/as fast, but it's a new way to challenge yourself. Run on a track. Find a park with a long hill and run up/down with or without dumbells. Do pushups/situps at the top or bottom of the hill if you want. To mix up the cardio a little between running, try jumproping. Do 3 minute sets with 30 sec of rest between. Try starting with 3-4 sets, and adjust the number of sets depending on you. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black]For pushups—try this drill: do several sets with gradually lowering reps, and do 50 arm circles between each set. Ex: Standing up, put arms straight in front of you, hands in fists. Do 50 small arm circles, clockwise. Then do 25 pushups. Then stand back up and do 50 circles counterclockwise. 20 pushups. Then put both arms straight out to your sides, 50 forward circles. 15 pushups. Both arms straight out to sides, 50 backward circles. 10 pushups. Adjust a little depending on your ability, keeping the same logic.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=black]You might also check out the website crossfit.com…seems to be a little more for those who are hardcore into working out, but you can also see video demonstrations of lots of exercises you’ve probably never even thought of before…and other pretty good info on there as well…well, good luck with everything![/COLOR]

Comment

I know how boring running can get. As a matter of fact, I hate to run. My time in the Marines killed the joy of running for me. And the natural "high" people get with a good run, I don't get that. So that being said, I've had to learn to motivate myself by doing things similar to running.

So my suggestion to you is to get into something you enjoy that's similar to that of which you don't enjoy. If you don't like to run, get a bike. If you hate situps, try crunches. Hate pushups? Try pullups. Tired of gyms? Exercise outside or at home.
                      Vary it up so that every day isn't the same as the previous day. Boredom is what kills motivation. So you have to make it fun and interesting, and something you want to do...not feel forced to do.

Comment

[QUOTE][I]Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
                        He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?[/I][/QUOTE]

Found that quote on [URL="http://www.professionalsoldiers.com"]http://www.professionalsoldiers.com[/URL] today and it's my new inspiration.

Comment

That quote was posted all over my platoon's area during OSUT and the quote is on the back of our platoon T-shirts and sweatshirts. There was a picture to go with it that showed a bunch of arabs holding AK's, RPG's, and some other stuff up in the air.

Comment

Working...
                          X