X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Benning in Summer or Winter?

I ship to Fort Benning in January 2010 and planned on going then because i am a wuss when i have to work out in the heat, so what are your guys' thoughts on when a good time to go would be.

Re: Fort Benning in Summer or Winter?

I was there for Basic Training this summer and it got pretty hot. On some days it was so hot we barely did anything since the drill sergeants didn't really like people going down because of the heat.

That's one good thing about the heat though. When it reaches Heat Cat V the drill sergeants kinda try to keep everyone cool and hydrated. Not a lot of smoking sessions.

Comment

I went during the summer, mainly because my lungs just seem to have a **** of a time in the cold air. Smiggs is 1/2 right, we were in heat cat V often, but idk how many smoking sessions that saved us from. Man on some days it would be so hot, we would just be sitting in the CTA cleaning our weapons in the shade for HOURS and people would go down every couples hours due to dehydration and such. On day 1 of basic during the shark attack we had 2 guys go down due to heat stroke. They were so ****ed up they wern't allowed to go outside for 2 weeks then got discharged.

Comment

When I went through I arrived in late February so you may have a similar experience....

It snowed, sleeted, hailed in the beginning... and we had heat casualties falling out of our graduation ceremony the first week of May.

Comment

Man it's crazy people drop out because of heat injuries, i definatly wouldnt have that much of a problem, i would just be a lot slower and get tired faster when it comes to heat.

Comment

Its not the heat, its the 100% humidity added to the heat, thats the kicker.

Comment

Oh man i didnt even think about the humidity, dang

Comment

I've been to Benning at various times of the year, really a great place but then I also prefer the heat over the cold.

For anyone going OSUT, I would say arriving early in the year is your best option. The BCT phase will be your hardest physically, and it's not as cold in the winter/spring at Benning than other posts. Once you are heading into your AIT phase, the weather will be much hotter but by this time your physical condition will have improved and your cadre will be smoking you less often. I would also prefer warmer weather during FTX, one of the funnest parts of the training.

Road marches can be tougher for some in the heat, but as long as you stay hydrated then it's not so bad. I'd rather have a little sunburn on my neck than have my ears and nose frozen. Besides, the new ACU's look like they handle the heat much better than the cold.

Comment

Summer or Winter sucks. Need to go between either.

Comment

Yeah i wish it worked like that. If it were not to hot, not too cold, it would be perfect

Comment

Adams - when will you be at Benning and what's your MOS?

Comment

I will be at Benning in January, my MOS is 11B, you?

Comment

i will be going this may. i burn bad the first hot day every summer. do we get sunscreen or should i just be ready to burn at first?

Comment

[QUOTE=philbin90]i will be going this may. i burn bad the first hot day every summer. do we get sunscreen or should i just be ready to burn at first?[/QUOTE]

You get unlimited water and will be expected to drink LOTS of it.

Comment

Go in the Summer. I went June 4th until August 15. It wasn't THAT hot. Heat is good b/c all you do is sweat. Cold weather hurts the skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X