X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you go in the Guard Non MOS Qualified

I am prior service Air Force and I have been in the CA National Guard for well over 2 years now trying to go to AIT for my MOS 25S. I have my secret security clearance, passed my APFT, and graduated WTC but I can never get dates for school. I had my fourth application get put in for AIT 1st Aug 2009 for school date 25 Jan 2010 and yesterday I got wait listed yet again and had an application submitted for 12 Feb 2010, going for try number five!

Early this month I went through SRP and was medically qualified to deploy but I don't know how that works for people who have no MOS.

I really lost as what to do because I really wanted to be a 25S but I have been waiting 2 years to get into school. That is 2 years I couldn't get promoted, attend WLC, or do much of anything to further my military career.

Is there a time limit for getting MOS qualified in the National Guard?
    Last edited by mlmiller1983; September 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM.

Re: How long can you go in the Guard Non MOS Qualified

If I remember correctly, it's 24 or 36 months if that time passes, the unit has to give reason why you are not going to school. From what you posted, thier doing what they can on thier side

Comment

Are you still non deployable if your not MOS qualified or can you be forced into any MOS needed for a deployment. I only ask this because I went through SRP and was medically ok to deploy and roughly half of the soldiers from my battalion did not pass.
      Last edited by mlmiller1983; September 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I'm sure it varies, but they actually sent some through a quick school just to have a MOS in our brigade for deployment. But this deployment isnt really MOS specific with some exceptions. They did need one though. I know some that went through an excellerated school just to have one. Not sure how that works, cuz i'd think there would have to be documentation somewhere that there was a slot for that MOS. I dont know that end of it and what we did may not be the norm either.

Comment

Well I finally got into the Reserve 25S school in Sacramento, CA for 1 March 2010 to 9 April 2010. I also got guard 25B school in Reno, NV from 5 October to 15 December. I just happy to be finally going to school.

Comment

I think I read that the policy is they're supposed to kick you out after 24 months if you're not MOSQ, but since it's not your fault they probably didnt care and let it slide.

Good luck and congrats on getting the class!

Comment

When I first joined the Guard back in '96, I was a bit "skinny". I had to go to MEPS about 7 times during my first year, every time they came up with some new reason as to why I wasn't able to ship to BCT. Underweight, missing paperwork, always something outside of my own control.

Eventually, the time came for my one-year anniversary in the unit. They informed me that due to not having shipped yet, I was being discharged from the Guard with a General, Non-Classified discharge and could try reenlisting again after 6 months. My total time in unit was one year and one day exactly.

I was officially discharged from the Oregon Army National Guard on 07 Mar 1997, and was arriving at Fort Sill for Active Army OSUT on 28 Jan 1998.

Your situation was a bit different though. You had already been cleared as post-BCT and were just awaiting MOSQ. I'm shocked that it took them that long to actually get you into a slot, but I guess such a school is not going to be as active as say 11B for example. Still, congrats on finally getting it.

Comment

I'd be more worried about not earning promotions. Not sure if they could promote you even under this circumstance. Also, many volunteer deployment opportunities are MOS immaterial.

Comment

[QUOTE=mlmiller1983] That is 2 years I couldn't get promoted, attend WLC, or do much of anything to further my military career.

Is there a time limit for getting MOS qualified in the National Guard?[/QUOTE]

Depending on the need, the Army may not hold as many classes and sometimes create a backlog.

Rest assured, your Commander and Battalion Commander have been explaining your issue quarterly the to top brass and asking "WHY WHY WHY is this taking so long??".

Not that that makes you feel any better, but that's a preview of what goes on behind the curtain.

Comment

Seems like your unit is screwing you over. We've sent some of our guys to signal schools within months.

Comment

Working...
                    X