X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of the "spare tire"

Question: What are some good ways to burn off the fat deposits in the belly, love handle and pectoral areas?

Background: I am 6'2" and 185. I do circuit training twice a week, BJJ and MMA four times a week, and yoga on Saturdays. I have pretty good endurance conditioning, but am still lacking in strength conditioning. I have a layer of stubborn belly fat that just wont go away. I also use a product sold by GNC to increase my metabolism, which also increases my core temperature slightly. I am not on a strict diet, but I eat almost zero fatty foods (burgers, fries, etc.) and consume about 1500 "healthy" calories a day.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Re: How to get rid of the "spare tire"

If you're 74" and 185 lbs, I can't imagine that you're very fat at all. Perhaps you should give up your dreams of becoming an underwear model, and be happy with what you have.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]If you're 74" and 185 lbs, I can't imagine that you're very fat at all. Perhaps you should give up your dreams of becoming an underwear model, and be happy with what you have.[/QUOTE]

I second that. To answer your question though, NO, there is no such thing as spot reduction or 'toning up' fat into muscle or anything. If you have any sort of spare tire around the abs it's actually kinda normal. That's usually the last place that weight comes off.

Six pack abs are made in the kitchen though. To get and maintain those you've got to get on a crazy diet and stay on it. I'm talking about eating no skin chicken breasts and asparagus every day.

Funny you should ask this. Every Tuesday and Thursday I meet with a personal trainer to help get ready for a PT test. We talked about this exact thing.

Comment

lol i third that.. when I started reading your post and saw your height and weight I thought you were gonna ask about how to bulk up a bit and PUT ON some weight! :p

Comment

How about soda and other liquids?

Incline sit-ups and ab roller. Using a weight ball while using incline is great. Put both knees to one side and do the sit ups on them too. Using them as clothe hangers doesnt work though. You actually have to get on them. I tried the other way.

Comment

I'm not fat nor does anybody else think I'm fat. I'm smack dab in the middle of the height/weight ratio chart at MEPS. I'm trying to get rid of jiggle in my mid-section, I prefer a slightly less jolly belly. The other thing is during my runs I fell like i need a sports-bra for my man boobs that have come out of nowhere!:p

Comment

OTC supplements are pretty much garbage in my opinion. If you want high metabolism, eat 6 meals a day (small ones) and make breakfast your biggest, dinner your smallest. Of course, if you do work out after dinner, the chances of you going to sleep with a ton of unused energy decreases dramatically.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]Perhaps you should give up your dreams of becoming an underwear model, and be happy with what you have.[/QUOTE]

Darn, way to kill off my dreams MAJ. :mad:

Comment

Spare tire?? I am 72" and when I was 185 I looked pretty thin. Can't imagine you having much extra.

Comment

Ok so I actually got a brand new scale and fully calibrated, level, etc. It said I weighed 193lbs. ( if it really makes a difference). I'm just trying to cut back the love handle a bit, reduce some front stomach, and tighten up the pectoral area. I'm trying to change my program a little because over the past two months i have gotten rounder than I have ever been. My pants are starting not fit as well, shirts are getting a little tight ( and not show of some guns) Like as that I am slowly getting fat and I trying to get ready for basic and shipout in 9 weeks.

Oh, and I'm already a popular under wear model with pletty of gorgeouus girlfriends I just wanna be in good shape for basic:D

Comment

[QUOTE=LongRangeRecon]Ok so I actually got a brand new scale and fully calibrated, level, etc. It said I weighed 193lbs. ( if it really makes a difference). I'm just trying to cut back the love handle a bit, reduce some front stomach, and tighten up the pectoral area. I'm trying to change my program a little because over the past two months i have gotten rounder than I have ever been. My pants are starting not fit as well, shirts are getting a little tight ( and not show of some guns) Like as that I am slowly getting fat and I trying to get ready for basic and shipout in 9 weeks.

Oh, and I'm already a popular under wear model with pletty of gorgeouus girlfriends I just wanna be in good shape for basic:D[/QUOTE]

Simple, start running at least 2-3 miles a day 5 times a weeks, push-ups, sit-ups, and do some daily 7 exercises (google). That and if your rolling, and doing your MMA; BCT should be a piece of cake!

Comment

[QUOTE=LongRangeRecon]Question: What are some good ways to burn off the fat deposits in the belly, love handle and pectoral areas?

Background: I am 6'2" and 185. I do circuit training twice a week, BJJ and MMA four times a week, and yoga on Saturdays. I have pretty good endurance conditioning, but am still lacking in strength conditioning. I have a layer of stubborn belly fat that just wont go away. I also use a product sold by GNC to increase my metabolism, which also increases my core temperature slightly. I am not on a strict diet, but I eat almost zero fatty foods (burgers, fries, etc.) and consume about 1500 "healthy" calories a day.

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

I would die to get the stats you have...

Comment

[QUOTE=LongRangeRecon]... I just wanna be in good shape for basic:D[/QUOTE]

Then stop worrying what you look like, and concentrate on your performance stats -- two-mile run time, in particular. Looking like a Spartan won't do you that much good at Basic.

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O3F0fH5AGXQ/RgHFpukoudI/AAAAAAAAALA/KxJaY11xs-w/s400/gerard_butler11.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie]Then stop worrying what you look like, and concentrate on your performance stats -- two-mile run time, in particular. Looking like a Spartan won't do you that much good at Basic.

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O3F0fH5AGXQ/RgHFpukoudI/AAAAAAAAALA/KxJaY11xs-w/s400/gerard_butler11.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Of course it won't. Beards aren't authorized! ;)

Comment

Underwear model???? Man boobs???? Dang... I've missed this place.....

I agree with MAJ Ritchie, focus on the PT standards if you wanna kick butt at basic. The only people that will see your spare tire and man boobs will be other dudes in the shower. Eeew.

Comment

Working...
                              X