X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No educational assistance for Cali?

[QUOTE=notyetdead]Well, [URL="http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/07/ap_californiaguard073109/"]here's[/URL] some surprising news...

California Major- Have you heard anything about this? This caught me by surprise..

From The Associated Press:
    Posted : Friday Jul 31, 2009 21:46:17 EDT

SACRAMENTO — A new program approved as part of California’s budget will help send military members to college.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday announced the California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program, intended to help nearly 1,000 California National Guard members go to school.

The program will hand out $1.8 million next year to help guardsmen cover fees to attend college or university. It starts in January and is expected to run for 10 years.

Schwarzenegger says that until now, California was the only state in the nation that did not offer education benefits to active guardsmen.[/QUOTE]

This is entirely logical. If the State already supplies grants for students attending college, then it would make sense to redirect some of that to Guardsmen. If they're giving away money anyway, it makes more sense to give it to people who actually do something for the State.

Comment

I heard there's fine print that you're only eligible for this if your humvees meet CA emission standards.....

Comment

A new program was just announced in California, I'll see if I can find the memo and post it..

Comment

[QUOTE=California Major]A new program was just announced in California, I'll see if I can find the memo and post it..[/QUOTE]
          I would very much appreciate that sir.

Comment

[QUOTE=shutterm4]As the saying goes, " I wasn't born in Texas, BUT I GOT HERE AS SOON AS I COULD" Texas is a great state, but property taxes are higher then other states. But at least we don't pay state income tax as well. With warm weather, and Fine women. I don't know why you wouldn't want to live here.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. I moved to AZ from TX in '96 and have wished for a long time I could move back. I don't care how long I'm away, I will always be a TX native. I will find my way back home one of these days.

Comment

Last time I checked wasn't California broke?

Comment

[QUOTE=hrotccadet]Last time I checked wasn't California broke?[/QUOTE]
                Yep, but the state isn't giving you anything in cash, it's discounting your tuition.

Comment

[QUOTE=notyetdead]Yep, but the state isn't giving you anything in cash, it's discounting your tuition.[/QUOTE]

Which costs the state money.

California is so horrible at managing money and services and giving away too much stuff with no checks and balances. IE - Medi-Cal, FoodStamps, Housing (provided to low to no income families by the local govt - no requirements for them to try to make more money or get jobs or anything), etc etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=qcomer]Which costs the state money.[/QUOTE]
                    Sure, so does the Guard. But giving educational assistance is something we've been lagging, so tuition discounts just bring us up to line with other states. This isn't an extravagance. Also, it requires a six year commitment, so it's a recruitment tool.
                    [QUOTE=qcomer]California is so horrible at managing money and services and giving away too much stuff with no checks and balances. [/quote]
                    Yeah, California is pretty polarized. When times are good, California brings in boatloads of money, when times are tight, it hemorrhages.

It's always cute watching the predictable national response. The complainers are pretty silent when the tech industry printed money and California was pushing up the national economy. But when times get rough, the fingerpointing begins. It's a cyclical as the tides.
                    [QUOTE=qcomer]IE - Medi-Cal, FoodStamps, Housing (provided to low to no income families by the local govt - no requirements for them to try to make more money or get jobs or anything), etc etc.[/QUOTE]
                    Uh, you might be a bit misinformed here. The first program is state, the other two are mostly federal.

MediCal saves the state money. Folks on medical are restricted to certain lower cost services. If folks don't have medical, they take their business to the ER where they can't be turned away and this costs the government a fortune. It's cheaper to provide a health insurance policy to folks without than it is to float the ER costs. This isn't really all that controversial.

And if you have a beef with food stamps, you should probably jump on Florida, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, etc. where they're really upping their use disproportionately. Or Texas, which has a much higher percentage of people on it than California, and has had for years.

And not sure what the Housing thing is you're talking about. HUD's federal, not state. Section 8 housing is based on income, so you'll find more of it in poverty areas. Municipal programs are pretty weak. Most people in subsidized housing are under federal programs.

Every now and then California has a crisis of some kind, which is much needed. A big earthquake, a housing crisis, the tech bust, etc. It's good for the state, because it drives out all the carpetbaggers that come out when things are going up and then start crying when tough times hit.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dell123]If the state is broke and they have more people trying to join the Guard than there is slots for and people would join without the educational benefits, even more now with some waivers lifted, why should they offer free college?[/QUOTE]
                      The "free college" thing is tuition waiver for the price of the public education system. Just so folks don't think you'll get a ride at Stanford or whatnot.

The state instituted the tuition waivers because we were one of the only states to not offer this. The Guard has been pushing to have this offered as a baseline national benefit.

There's also some fine print that you need to have a drilling commitment (I think it's six years) in order to take it, so it's also a way to keep people in longer.

Comment

In LA we have a tuition exemption at state funded colleges. All it covers in tuition. I still pay building fees, tech fees, parking lot fees, fee fees, and all the other good fees.The state offers no TA for private colleges AFAIK, but we still get FTA.

I also am not sure on enlistment requirements as far as time goes for these benefits.

Comment

[QUOTE=PFC Lowe]I also am not sure on enlistment requirements as far as time goes for these benefits.[/QUOTE]
                          Most states apparently get the state tuition waivers without any requirements for time-in-contract. My understanding is that California is one of the few that has that fine print.

Comment

Holy Snikees, we got education benefits!

As I live and breathe, Kaleefourneeya got education benefits!

[IMG]http://www.calguard.ca.gov/publicaffairs/PublishingImages/CNGEAAP_fs.bmp[/IMG]
                            [URL="http://www.calguard.ca.gov/publicaffairs/Pages/CaliforniaNationalGuardEducationalAssistanceAwardProgram.aspx"]http://www.calguard.ca.gov/publicaffairs/Pages/CaliforniaNationalGuardEducationalAssistanceAwardProgram.aspx[/URL]

[B][COLOR="Red"]NEW![/COLOR][/B] State-Sponsored Education Benefit [COLOR="red"][B]NEW![/B][/COLOR]

The California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP) will pay up to 100% of fees at most public and private California educational institutions for qualifying members of the California Army or Air National Guard and State Military Reserve.

Applications become available January 4th at
                            [url]www.calguard.ca.gov/education[/url]
                            The deadline for applications is January 22nd.

For more information, please contact:
                            Ms. Katrina Beck
                            (916) 854-4255
                            [email]katrina.beck2@us.army.mil[/email]
                            Last edited by California Major; January 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Holy Snikees, we got education benefits!

Finally California does something intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                              X