X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What major to study while in ROTC...?

Hello everyone, I'm going to MEPS next friday to enlist as 11B under the college first program. I'm planning on becomming an officer through ROTC. What are some good majors to study for a long term military career that will also be good in the civilian sectors? My ultimate goal in my military career and life is to become an 18A- SF commander. What should I study?

I was thinking of counter terrorism, political science, and sociology..?

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]Hello everyone, I'm going to MEPS next friday to enlist as 11B under the college first program. I'm planning on becomming an officer through ROTC. What are some good majors to study for a long term military career that will also be good in the civilian sectors? My ultimate goal in my military career and life is to become an 18A- SF commander. What should I study?

I was thinking of counter terrorism, political science, and sociology..?[/QUOTE]

1) At what are you good?
    2) What do you enjoy?
    3) What kinds of civilian jobs interest you?
    4) For what is your college known?

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]Hello everyone, I'm going to MEPS next friday to enlist as 11B under the college first program. I'm planning on becomming an officer through ROTC. What are some good majors to study for a long term military career that will also be good in the civilian sectors? My ultimate goal in my military career and life is to become an 18A- SF commander. What should I study?

I was thinking of counter terrorism, political science, and sociology..?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what you study, just get a 4 year degree.

If 11b is a critical MOS for your state (I believe it is critical for most) you won't be able to receive college first with it, as of March 1st. Just something you might want to keep in mind.

Comment

woah woahh wait a minute, that cant be... are you serious? the only reason I looked into the Guard was because of college first and I was told only a critical MOS would qualify for college first. I'm going to meps next friday, so does that mean I wouldn't be able to enlist under college first??

1. Im good at everything the army needs me to be good at.
        2. I enjoy meeting other cultures and helping people and being out on the field
        3. I'm a hands-on kinda guy so i like being in the field rather than just a desk

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]woah woahh wait a minute, that cant be... are you serious? the only reason I looked into the Guard was because of college first and I was told only a critical MOS would qualify for college first. I'm going to meps next friday, so does that mean I wouldn't be able to enlist under college first??

3. I'm a hands-on kinda guy so i like being in the field rather than just a desk[/QUOTE]

Having made the wrong major choice personally as an undergraduate (business administration), I've always felt that double-majoring in two of the social sciences (i.e., political science, economics, sociology, phsychology, history, etc.) would have opened more doors, made more sense, and have been more interesting.

Based on your answers to the questions, your interests would be best suited in those areas.

If the Army is your priority, all you need is a four-year degree in anything. If you want to make some waves in the civilian world, you may have to pursue some additional education if you really want to make one of those fields work.

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]woah woahh wait a minute, that cant be... are you serious? the only reason I looked into the Guard was because of college first and I was told only a critical MOS would qualify for college first. I'm going to meps next friday, so does that mean I wouldn't be able to enlist under college first??

3. I'm a hands-on kinda guy so i like being in the field rather than just a desk[/QUOTE]

I was just going by what I read on these forums in the threads discussing the new bonuses, but check with your recruiter and whatnot. Honestly, it makes sense. If a unit is in need of people, what good is it to send them soldiers that can't deploy and help out?

In your sophomore year you can contract as a cadet and will be nondeployable. But being deployed will certainly keep you from being behind a desk... that is what you want, right?...

Comment

I have no problem with being deployed, its not about that at all. I mean who in the right mind would enlist thinking he/she will not get deployed during war?

The thing is, I have a committment to my parents just as I do to my country. The army will always be here, but getting a degree might only come around once. Who knows what will happen if I get deployed and come back. Too many questions to attempt to figure out. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and I know I will make a great officer. Having that ability to better myself now, why should I put off college? Wouldn't the army benefit more from that rather than just another casualty of war? Besides, I'm not sure how VMI will handle me if they figure out I wont be under college first...Its worrying me now

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]I have no problem with being deployed, its not about that at all. I mean who in the right mind would enlist thinking he/she will not get deployed during war?

The thing is, I have a committment to my parents just as I do to my country. The army will always be here, but getting a degree might only come around once. Who knows what will happen if I get deployed and come back. Too many questions to attempt to figure out. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and I know I will make a great officer. Having that ability to better myself now, why should I put off college? Wouldn't the army benefit more from that rather than just another casualty of war? Besides, I'm not sure how VMI will handle me if they figure out I wont be under college first...Its worrying me now[/QUOTE]

Good to see that your parents have come around a bit. Enlist in whatever gets you College First. If not 11B, oh well... get your Infantry fix in IBOLC/BOLC III.

Comment

well...there's a bit of a problem lol...my drivers license is suspended for a year until feb 2010 which makes me s*** out of luck. the closest armory near me is an infantry unit and a computer unti requiring a secret clearance. my recruiter told me that I couldnt get that job because of my DMV record. I found a "battle buddy" to give me rides to rsp and drills and stuff so being
                  11B is really my only choice as of now unless I'm missing out on something.

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]well...there's a bit of a problem lol...my drivers license is suspended for a year until feb 2010 which makes me s*** out of luck. the closest armory near me is an infantry unit and a computer unti requiring a secret clearance. my recruiter told me that I couldnt get that job because of my DMV record. I found a "battle buddy" to give me rides to rsp and drills and stuff so being
                    11B is really my only choice as of now unless I'm missing out on something.[/QUOTE]

Tight situation. Just talk to your recruiter and see what options you have.

Comment

yea tell me about it...:( but it just helps make things more interesting and challenging right? Hooah!

but yea, I just emailed my recruiter. Lets see what he has to say...

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]I have no problem with being deployed, its not about that at all. I mean who in the right mind would enlist thinking he/she will not get deployed during war?

The thing is, I have a committment to my parents just as I do to my country. The army will always be here, but getting a degree might only come around once. Who knows what will happen if I get deployed and come back. Too many questions to attempt to figure out. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB and I know I will make a great officer. Having that ability to better myself now, why should I put off college? Wouldn't the army benefit more from that rather than just another casualty of war? Besides, I'm not sure how VMI will handle me if they figure out I wont be under college first...Its worrying me now[/QUOTE]

It's good to see you're motivated, but remember that your test score on something like the ASVAB isn't a good indicator of much of anything, other than your common sense. I know this isn't what your parents would like to hear, but college will always be there, as well. Having a year off from school wouldn't be that big a deal, especially considering the hefty wallet you'd be carrying around from a year of tax free AD pay.

If you don't want to have being deployed even a remote possibility, I'd say don't enlist. You can attend ROTC without being in the Guard.

I hope everything works out for ya, but don't get too excited until you get everything in writing.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up guys. Honestly...if it wasnt for my effin parents, I'd be in Afghanistan right now

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]Thanks for the heads up guys. Honestly...if it wasnt for my effin parents, I'd be in Afghanistan right now[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat it. You'll get your chance.

Comment

[QUOTE=D_Dawg]well...there's a bit of a problem lol...my drivers license is suspended for a year until feb 2010 which makes me s*** out of luck. the closest armory near me is an infantry unit and a computer unti requiring a secret clearance. my recruiter told me that I couldnt get that job because of my DMV record. I found a "battle buddy" to give me rides to rsp and drills and stuff so being
                              11B is really my only choice as of now unless I'm missing out on something.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure that a DMV issue is not a disqualifier for a secret clearance. They give those out like candy.

Comment

Working...
                              X