Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help interpreting the ASVAB scores.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help interpreting the ASVAB scores.

I just got my ASVAB scores back and did exactly what this site ([url]http://www.army.com/enlist/asvab_score.html[/url])
    said to get my line scores and I compared them to the scores needed to be a 18C. My scores were kind of high compared to what they want, and I'm still wondering. Help would be greatly appreciated.:D

My scores are as follows.
    Verbal Skills:59
    Math Skills:61
    Science and Technical Skills:67
    General Science:60
    Arithmetic Reasoning:58
    Word Knowledge:59
    Paragraph Comprehension:56
    Mathematics Knowledge:62
    Electronics Informations:74
    Auto and Shop Information:56
    Mechanical Comprehension:63
    AFQT:81

There was no Numerical Operations (NO) or Coding Speed (CS) scores on my results.

My Lines Scores calculated according to the site.
    Clerical (CL):235
    Combat (CO):234 (Void of CS score)
    Electronics (EL):243
    Field Artillery(FA):183 (Void of CS score)
    General Maintenance:252
    General Technical:173
    Mechanical Maintenance:193 (Void of NO score)
    Operators and Food:234 (Void of CS score)
    Surveillance Communications:292
    Skilled Technical:300

Thanks again for taking a look, and sorry for the wall of text.:(
    Last edited by Zirrick; February 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM.

[url]www.military.com[/url] it will help you see what scores will get you what MOS and you can search for the meaning of each but its not really important to know unless your a recruiter

Comment

OK, I know it says "CL - Clerical: VE+AR+MK", but they don't mean that literally. They mean that your CL line score is a compilation of your VE, AR, and MK raw scores. Good luck trying to figure out the actual formulas used to derive line scores; I tried to reverse engineer mine and was completely unsuccessful.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zirrick]I just got my ASVAB scores back and did exactly what this site ([url]http://www.army.com/enlist/asvab_score.html[/url])
        said to get my line scores and I compared them to the scores needed to be a 18C. My scores were kind of high compared to what they want, and I'm still wondering. Help would be greatly appreciated.:D

My scores are as follows.
        Verbal Skills:59
        Math Skills:61
        Science and Technical Skills:67
        General Science:60
        Arithmetic Reasoning:58
        Word Knowledge:59
        Paragraph Comprehension:56
        Mathematics Knowledge:62
        Electronics Informations:74
        Auto and Shop Information:56
        Mechanical Comprehension:63
        AFQT:81

There was no Numerical Operations (NO) or Coding Speed (CS) scores on my results.

My Lines Scores calculated according to the site.
        Clerical (CL):235
        Combat (CO):234 (Void of CS score)
        Electronics (EL):243
        Field Artillery(FA):183 (Void of CS score)
        General Maintenance:252
        General Technical:173
        Mechanical Maintenance:193 (Void of NO score)
        Operators and Food:234 (Void of CS score)
        Surveillance Communications:292
        Skilled Technical:300

Thanks again for taking a look, and sorry for the wall of text.:([/QUOTE]

I can tell you that all of your line scores are over 110.
        You are good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, I felt like I was completely wrong. But the recognition that my scores should be above 110 is reassuring as I'm going back to see the ARNG recruiter tomorrow. BTW; I was considering taking up the College first option, and then during those two years of being undeployed, take the rotc elective and become a cadet in the program by my junior year; would that some how buy me 2 more years of being undeployed?
          Last edited by Zirrick; February 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zirrick]Thanks, I felt like I was completely wrong. But the recognition that my scores should be above 110 is reassuring as I'm going back to see the ARNG recruiter tomorrow. BTW; I was considering taking up the College first option, and then during those two years of being undeployed, take the rotc elective and become a cadet in the program by my junior year; would that some how buy me 2 more years of being undeployed?[/QUOTE]

Yes...thats a good way people can complete all 4 years of college with out fear of mobilization.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zirrick]Thanks, I felt like I was completely wrong. But the recognition that my scores should be above 110 is reassuring as I'm going back to see the ARNG recruiter tomorrow. BTW; I was considering taking up the College first option, and then during those two years of being undeployed, take the rotc elective and become a cadet in the program by my junior year; would that some how buy me 2 more years of being undeployed?[/QUOTE]

Going SF is alot harder than you are thinking. I'm not 100% sure everywhere else is the same like Maryland, our SF guys go though an interview with the SF commander before he signs off if you are non-prior service.

Becoming a 18C the training is somewhere around 56 weeks with 11b OUST,pre jump school, jump school,the SF Q selection course,and MOS training for 18 C. I have not included the language training that can last from 6 months up to a full year.

You are looking at almost two and half years before you are at the unit.
              I'm not sure how the College First works out with this MOS, if your 2 years start at the time of arrival at that unit I am going to look at the reg and get with you on that part

Comment

[QUOTE=Recruiter yosis]Going SF is alot harder than you are thinking. I'm not 100% sure everywhere else is the same like Maryland, our SF guys go though an interview with the SF commander before he signs off if you are non-prior service.

Becoming a 18C the training is somewhere around 56 weeks with 11b OUST,pre jump school, jump school,the SF Q selection course,and MOS training for 18 C. I have not included the language training that can last from 6 months up to a full year.

You are looking at almost two and half years before you are at the unit.
                I'm not sure how the College First works out with this MOS, if your 2 years start at the time of arrival at that unit I am going to look at the reg and get with you on that part[/QUOTE]

All of the above and...

In MD you have to interview to be SF. Yes the ROTC gets you the rest of the time non deployable, but there is an 8 yes 8 year obligation after college. and BTW they put you on 18 mt orders for SF training, how are you going to do that and be in college at the same time?

Comment

Ski the power of wireless duh....there are many hot spots in the jungle.

Well there is always 21B

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up on a train wreck waiting to happen, now I gotta rethink my career route. I was going to originally go with a career related to electrical engineering, before I arrived at the 18c idea. The 8 years of service does seem unappealing, but I gotta take the good with the bad. Family going through rough patch financially, but they insist on getting a student loan. Getting my college years financed, coupled with being able to finish my college education in one-continuous period of time is the only way they will accept the idea of me enlisting. This way its less of a burden for both me & my parents.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zirrick]Thanks for the heads up on a train wreck waiting to happen, now I gotta rethink my career route. I was going to originally go with a career related to electrical engineering, before I arrived at the 18c idea. The 8 years of service does seem unappealing, but I gotta take the good with the bad. Family going through rough patch financially, but they insist on getting a student loan. Getting my college years financed, coupled with being able to finish my college education in one-continuous period of time is the only way they will accept the idea of me enlisting. This way its less of a burden for both me & my parents.[/QUOTE]

When you enlist you [U]are[/U] under a eight year enlistment.

Comment

[quote=Recruiter yosis]When you enlist you [U]are[/U] under a eight year enlistment.[/quote]

is everything a guessing game after you take the asvab now and days? when I took it, my recruiter was outside with the 4 main scores to let me know if I was a go. I knew right there as well if I was eligible for my first choice MOS. Or is every new recruit trying to be so technical today?

this happend to me in the 80s, 90s and 2000s lol. what is going on in 2008 and beyond or is this just the Guard?

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]is everything a guessing game after you take the asvab now and days? when I took it, my recruiter was outside with the 4 main scores to let me know if I was a go. I knew right there as well if I was eligible for my first choice MOS. Or is every new recruit trying to be so technical today?

this happend to me in the 80s, 90s and 2000s lol. what is going on in 2008 and beyond or is this just the Guard?[/QUOTE]

When I took my ASVAB a few months ago, my scores were placed in an envelope and handed to me on my way out the door 5 minutes after I finished my test. I called my recruiter on my cellphone and he had me open the envelope and read off my scores.

I had them immediately and knew I was qualified. I took my ASVAB at MEPS. Is that the difference?

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]is everything a guessing game after you take the asvab now and days? when I took it, my recruiter was outside with the 4 main scores to let me know if I was a go. I knew right there as well if I was eligible for my first choice MOS. Or is every new recruit trying to be so technical today?

this happend to me in the 80s, 90s and 2000s lol. what is going on in 2008 and beyond or is this just the Guard?[/QUOTE]

I can still do the envolupe thing, But I just wait for the scores to show up in my box.

Comment

Working...
                            X