X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Payment?!?

My last two RSP Drill pay had tax deduction which is normal on any check, including SGLI. But they also had at the end of the statement a "Debt Payment" deduction, my question is why!? lol ...AM i like paying the countries debt? lol cause I dont owe anyone money including the Army. Ive never taken a loan out or anything. they've taken a total of 80 dollars in debt payment last two checks and its starting to hurt!

[QUOTE=Pvt Dominguez]My last two RSP Drill pay had tax deduction which is normal on any check, including SGLI. But they also had at the end of the statement a "Debt Payment" deduction, my question is why!? lol ...AM i like paying the countries debt? lol cause I dont owe anyone money including the Army. Ive never taken a loan out or anything. they've taken a total of 80 dollars in debt payment last two checks and its starting to hurt![/QUOTE]

Is it possible that a creditor has a lein on your pay?

Comment

It could be anything. Talk to your rsp unit and get a pay inquiry.

Comment

Cant be, all my debt were paid off prior to getting into the service... if thats the case who's the money going too?

Comment

Maybe it was an unpaid bar tab at the enlisted club....Or maybe it was a prorated SGLI? I wonder if the SGLI starts when you first enlist, then they take out all the months of coverage in your first check?? Did you crunch the numbers?
          Last edited by richierich; January 31st, 2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Ya my recruiter told me the same thing about SGLI.. I joined 20081029 but did not get my first check till 20081201. I figured they charged me SGLI for the remaining days of October but I dont think thats the case, cause they charged me 30ish on first check and now 50 on this one.

Comment

Are you sure there was no unpaid bar tab??:eek:

Comment

lol im pretty sure, unless the recruiters are going out drinking with our info at hands :(

Comment

OK 1st...I don't drink LOL

2nd print off your LES from MyPay, and take it to your recruiter, and or next RSP, and ask them to explain it to you. If you do not owe the debt, they will pay it back.

Comment

There should be something in the 'Remarks' section at the bottom of your first LES telling you what the debt is for; if not (or even if so, and you don't think you owe the debt) start a pay inquiry through your Readiness NCO.

I had a debt on my first LES of $348. They were back dating my SGLI payments to the start of my contract (signed in Feb '08, started drilling in May '08). Problem was, DEERS miss-keyed my entry date to Feb '07, so they were collected an entire extra year of 'missed' SGLI payments.

It took about five months and a lot of harassing my Readiness NCO to get it straightened out, but I finally got the money returned.

Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pvt Dominguez]My last two RSP Drill pay had tax deduction which is normal on any check, including SGLI. But they also had at the end of the statement a "Debt Payment" deduction, my question is why!? lol ...AM i like paying the countries debt? lol cause I dont owe anyone money including the Army. Ive never taken a loan out or anything. they've taken a total of 80 dollars in debt payment last two checks and its starting to hurt![/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet just about anything that the debt is for SGLI. It starts being taken out the day you join, so if you join on 31JAN, then you still are charged for the month of Jan. So...if you dont drill for a month or two after you join then you'll have the SGLI debt since the day you joined.

Comment

ok i'll do that, my next drill is this coming weekend on the 7th... hopefully they'll fix it, i'll keep u posted

Comment

[quote=Frisco]There should be something in the 'Remarks' section at the bottom of your first LES telling you what the debt is for; if not (or even if so, and you don't think you owe the debt) start a pay inquiry through your Readiness NCO.

I had a debt on my first LES of $348. They were back dating my SGLI payments to the start of my contract (signed in Feb '08, started drilling in May '08). Problem was, DEERS miss-keyed my entry date to Feb '07, so they were collected an entire extra year of 'missed' SGLI payments.

It took about five months and a lot of harassing my Readiness NCO to get it straightened out, but I finally got the money returned.

Good luck.[/quote]

exactly. this is usually related to your SGLI (debt payment). Happened to hundreds of soldiers that I know. Like was stated, just do a pay inquiry through your command.

Comment

Its usually SGLI, but you'll still see it show up randomly and wonder wtf the deal is. Either the army taking more money from you, knowing you won't do anything. Or some correction from the HR side. There are a lot of lazy idiots in that MOS.

Comment

You start owing SGLI the moment you enlist. If you dont go to RSP for awhile they start the debt repay with your first payed drill check. Also, if you miss any RSP they recoup that also. Did you enlist and then not drill for a few months? If it was only one month that you waited it should have only been about a $58 dollar debt payment including the current months. If it was two drills not attended after enlistment it would be aprox an $86 debt including current months.

Comment

Working...
                              X