Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

anything to pay for college accredited Police Academy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anything to pay for college accredited Police Academy?

Thinking about going here when i'm back from basic around February

[url]http://www.pbcc.edu/CriminalJustice.xml[/url]

its roughly 4,000 dollars...

I was curious if the GI bill will pay for this (or National guard Fedetal TA or State TA?)

I'll probably work weekends while I do this

So will anything pay for this? PBCC is a college accredited school and most of these classes are credit based I believe

[url]http://www.pbcc.edu/x4648.xml[/url]

also, how would the GI Bill Kicker help in this situation?
    Last edited by taseal; September 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM.

Re: anything to pay for college accredited Police Academy?

anyone?

:(

Comment

To receive federal TA you must be in a degree granting program. The application for TA requires you to state your degree plan/major. If you're only attending the academy, I don't believe you'd qualify for federal TA. I don't know about the requirements for state TA in Florida. You should be able to get the MGIB assuming you meet all the other requirements.

Comment

anyone else have any info on this?

how can I be eligible for the GI Bill? do you have to be in for X amount of years, or do I get it once I finish OSUT?

Comment

Finish IET and you're good.

Comment

[QUOTE=cyall]Finish IET and you're good.[/QUOTE]

awesome, that is the plan anyways, do it after IET...

Thats when I'll be able to use the GI Bill correct?

I wonder how much of the 4,000 it will pay? (ok I think its 60% after a year, and I'll be going right around either 12 month or 6 month mark) I guess pay half is better than pay none, does this start from day of enlistment, or from finishing IET? military.com says Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time

and to get the BAH during school, you must have been enlisted for at least 6 years correct?

how about deployment? While I'm at the academy, could I get deployed, which would result in me leaving it in the middle?
            Last edited by taseal; September 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=taseal]awesome, that is the plan anyways, do it after IET...

Thats when I'll be able to use the GI Bill correct?

I wonder how much of the 4,000 it will pay? (ok I think its 60% after a year, and I'll be going right around either 12 month or 6 month mark) I guess pay half is better than pay none, does this start from day of enlistment, or from finishing IET? military.com says Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time

and to get the BAH during school, you must have been enlisted for at least 6 years correct?

how about deployment? While I'm at the academy, could I get deployed, which would result in me leaving it in the middle?[/QUOTE]

Call your state's education office. They can answer all your questions, and the questions those answers create. I think you are confusing the different chapters of the GI Bill. I made the same mistake recently. Check this site for rates [url]http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_BILL_INFO/RATES.HTM[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=cyall]Finish IET and you're good.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Finish IET, have a HS Diploma, and have a 6 year contract.

If its a college accredited certificate producing program it might be eligible for TA... talk to your ESO.

Comment

Ok, I'll find my states education office's number and see what they say.

I emailed the academy lady and she said that military people did use thief GI Bill for it before... She said I'd have to talk to the VA rep on campus... It loons like it'll be covered... I just really hope that I can get BAH while I do this fulltime so I don't need to work at nights...

And I do have a HS, 6 year contract and actuallyhave about 85 credits of my own...

Comment

Oh and while I do this fulltime, I could still get deployed correct? Which means I'd have to leave school and redo the academy when I get back?

Comment

Working...
                    X