X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Gestures by the general public

I always tell them to join the Patriot Guard or Just put up yellow ribbions. It's sad how many times we have road to a funeral of a Fallen and there well be protesters there. So it's are duty as well to protect there familys from this smut.

Comment

I am so glad this thread kicked off the way it did. Thank you all for sharing your stories. Keep them coming as they happen. I think we all need the morale boost occasionally to remind us of why we do the things we do. Reading other soldiers stories, I think, I just the kind of boost a lot of us need.

Comment

I really hope that we can keep this thread alive. I teared up a couple of times reading through this. My mom, no matter what she is doing or where she is at will approach anyone in uniform and shake their hand and tell them thank you. Now that her son is enlisting into the Guard if she sees anyone in ACUs, she will go out of her way to do the same. I have always done that and will continue to show my respects to anyone serving.

Comment

[QUOTE=dsrtshrk]I really hope that we can keep this thread alive. I teared up a couple of times reading through this. [/QUOTE]

I plan to check every couple of days and bump it relentlessly if nobody adds anything, until the mods sticky it or ban me forever.

Its not just a great thread. Its a reminder of why exactly we do what we do. It's important.

Comment

While I was dropping my son off at MPL airport for his return flight to go back to Iraq, we had a nice experience. While we were getting his boarding pass and I was preparing to hug him goodbye for a while the person working at the Northwest Airlines ticket counter asked me if I would like a pass to see my son to the gate (he was flying Delta so I thought this was way cool of her to do this). First of all I did not know a person could get a gate pass and secondly all along the route to said gate pilots, stewards, stewardesses, and regular folk were coming up to my son and saying thank you. So I turned around and did the same thing on the way out of the airport-wonder what they thought of the crying woman saying thank you for your service.

Comment

Well, I'm not in the National Guard yet. but, I go to MEPS tomorrow.
              but, I was shopping for a dress shirt at JC Penny's, and the man that was helping me, and I started talking, and it eventually led to me joining the National Guard. He said that was really cool, and brave of me. Then he thanked me. I honestly did know what to say. ha. I replied, well thank you sir, it's what I want to do. Then when we got to the cash register, he gave me a discount on my stuff. It was small, but, it was a very nice gesture. :)

Alex

Comment

OLDIE BACK IN PLAY! I'll add I just got done basic/AIT back to back, my family + my g.f. (wife now) and her parents met me @ the airport. So I was focused on them and I must have looked like I just got out of basic because I had at least 5 people stop me in my tracks thanking me. Embarrassing @ the time because I TOTALLY didn't expect any of them. The one that meant the most to me was an airport worker who stopped the cart he was driving, got out and thanked me. :cool: plus, i'm sure it got me browny pts with my wife that night, I mean :eek:
                Last edited by SGT Bart; July 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I felt really guilty because I haven't even gone through basic yet but believe me when I say there was nothing I could do! I was at barnes and noble buying Chosen Soldier and some little book about BCT. It was slow in the store there was no line so I went up to the register and asked with my B&N Member discount how much the two would be.. I didn't have enough so I asked her to take off the BCT book and she said sure and called the manager to void it. While waiting she told me her son is a Marine lawyer and asked if I was in the military. I said I just enlisted in the NG and was leaving for Fort Benning at the end of august. The manager came and she said something about ringing my stuff up on the next register so she can give me "her numbers". I figured she meant her employee discount so I thought that's really cool.. She ends up handing me both books and says this is my gift to you I hope they help you suceed. My jaw hit the floor... I literally stood there for 30 seconds until I stuttered out maam I really can't accept that and she said no don't worry about it I insist, thank you for what you're doing. I briefly contemplated just leaving the books there and walking out but figured that would be really rude (right?) So after thanking her 100 times I left. I couldn't believe it.. The two books together were almost 30 dollars!

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]So you hear the random stories of how people take care of other people. I had one happen to me today and I decided I wanted to start a thread about it. Tell your stories about how omeone did something nice for you or you did something nice for someone else, in or out of uniform.

Here is mine from today:

I just got back from Arby's! Some lady bought my lunch. I was ordering and this lady walks up next to me. After I finished she was like I would like to pay for this. I said thank you ma'am, but you don't have to. She said I know that, but I, we, (and pointed to her hubby) want to. It's the least we can do for you, for all you do for us. My meal was 6.67. She handed the cashier a 10 and told her to give me the change and walked away.

I almost burst into tears at Arbys. Dang hormones.[/QUOTE]

I was going to drill Jul 9th, got some McDonalds for breakfast (had to go in to activate a new debit card...using the PIN)...anyway, as I get ready to pay, some guy literally barrels into me, and says I'll pay for it. I told him that's ok like 4 times, finally got tired of arguing, and let him pay for it, but it was weird.

Comment

I've had many of these type situations and they always humble me. The latest one just happened last week while at mcdonalds with my coworker and the guy behind us insisted that he pay for ours. Of course then I had to supersize it...just kidding:cool: . But seriously...it is so humbling.

Comment

A lady at the front of the line at Starbucks told the barrista that she would "pay for the soldiers" as she headed off to the restroom.

At the same time, a van pulled up and a load of soldier piled out.

She was already down the hall then the barrista asked me "them too?"..

[I]Whoa, I don't think she intended that! Let's just assume "no"...[/I]

Imagine...[I][B]And your bill comes to $118.78![/B][/I]

Comment

[QUOTE=California Major]A lady at the front of the line at Starbucks told the barrista that she would "pay for the soldiers" as she headed off to the restroom.

At the same time, a van pulled up and a load of soldier piled out.

She was already down the hall then the barrista asked me "them too?"..

[I]Whoa, I don't think she intended that! Let's just assume "no"...[/I]

Imagine...[I][B]And your bill comes to $118.78![/B][/I][/QUOTE]

HAHAHA...thats great. I can imagine the look on her face when she came out and saw all those soldiers in there.

Comment

[QUOTE=NJ732]The manager came and she said something about ringing my stuff up on the next register so she can give me [b]"her numbers"[/b].[/QUOTE]

****, thought this was going to be an interesting and scandelous story. Wrong again, Teuvil!

Came back from Iraq at age ..........21..........:rolleyes: and got demolished at a local bar for free. Love patriotic bartenders!

Comment

Working...
                            X