X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Gestures by the general public

Great thread. I always get sentimental when I get the pats on the backs or the thanks. It's a better morale booster than anything the military itself could provide.

But I always get uncomfortable the times folks try to pay for my meals or buy me something. I'm getting paid a fair salary and I signed up by choice. I usually say "thank you" but tell them it's my pleasure to serve them and my country. If they really feel like passing on their good will, I ask them to give to a community charity or light a candle/say a prayer for the family of a soldier who hasn't made it home.

Comment

Starbucks

A group of us traveling in a van stopped off at Starbucks. Two of us went inside, and a lady placing her order said "..And pay for theirs", pointing towards us...Then she proceeded to the ladies room.

The look on her face when she came back out and saw that there was 15 of us....priceless

Of course, right after she headed to the restroom, and we realized that her original intent was probably not to buy for 15 people, so we quickly explained to the clerk and declined her offer. But thanked her profusely.

Comment

I was done with drill for the day. Me and 2 others went out to eat. Some guy paid for all our our orders. The total bill was around 50 bucks. It felt awesome.

Comment

I can't click on this thread without getting goosebumps all over. Great idea SGTHess!

Comment

I had a very touching encounter with someone that looked as if he was a vagrant Vietnam era Vet. I was driving my Duece, yes I own a Deuce, one day, when I saw a man walking along the road coming towards me.

As I apporached this man, he stopped, came to attention, and saluted me, or the truck as it would be. It was very emotional. Had I had time, and been able to think of it after seeing that, I would've turned around to offer the "soldier" a ride.

Comment

I didn't get the warm reception when I was active duty. Where I was stationed, people were use to the military being around. So they would rather sucker us out of our hard earned cash than to say thanks for our service. Not only that, but this was before 9/11 when America's love of the military was refreshed.

However...in the spirit of this thread, I consider my parents to be part of the General Public. Neither has served in the armed forces and when I was thinking of joining the Marines, they were so set against it they threatened to disown me. I think I've never been flattered when I came home on leave one day and saw the "proud parent of a US Marine" sticker on my dad's truck. Mind you this was a man who was about to dodge the Vietnam draft and disliked war and military service in general. He was more of the person that urged me to go to college vice serving our country. And for him to do a complete 180 for his own son and actually support me being a Marine...I could shed a tear over that.

Now today with me wanting to get in the ARNG he looks at it as following the footsteps of his own father (my grandfather was ARNG). And supports me as such. That's enough "thanks" for me just knowing my own family hasn't been against me going back in especially during us being involved in two wars and me wanting to deploy.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mom's Mistake]I didn't get the warm reception when I was active duty. Where I was stationed, people were use to the military being around. So they would rather sucker us out of our hard earned cash than to say thanks for our service. Not only that, but this was before 9/11 when America's love of the military was refreshed.

However...in the spirit of this thread, I consider my parents to be part of the General Public. Neither has served in the armed forces and when I was thinking of joining the Marines, they were so set against it they threatened to disown me. I think I've never been flattered when I came home on leave one day and saw the "proud parent of a US Marine" sticker on my dad's truck. Mind you this was a man who was about to dodge the Vietnam draft and disliked war and military service in general. He was more of the person that urged me to go to college vice serving our country. And for him to do a complete 180 for his own son and actually support me being a Marine...I could shed a tear over that.

Now today with me wanting to get in the ARNG he looks at it as following the footsteps of his own father (my grandfather was ARNG). And supports me as such. That's enough "thanks" for me just knowing my own family hasn't been against me going back in especially during us being involved in two wars and me wanting to deploy.[/QUOTE]

One of the best examples yet! Semper Fi !!

Comment

Already easily the best thread in the whole forum.

It ought to be stickied up at the top.

Comment

I agree, one of the best!! Great idea Sgt Hess! I can't wait to have a story to tell.

Comment

I've been lurking for awhile and this is my first post... but I thought I'd share mine...

>>> Was around xmas about 3-years ago. My wife (fiance at the time) and I where heading from the San Francisco area towards Vacaville (Near Travis Air Force Base). When I pulled up to the toll bridge they lady told me the car in front of us paid our toll... I paid for the car behind me, I wonder how far it went ;)

>>> Last week the SFC that enlisted me took my wife and I to Sonics, he had a fist full of $5 gift certificates a manager had given him at a gas station in thanks for his service.

The wife and I live near Portland now just for the record :)

Comment

I was a facilitator for a diversity leadership program for college students this summer. During the facilitator training we did an exercise where we all had to introduce ourselves by completing statements (my name is..., my hometown is..., etc.). One of the statements was "I am"; my response "a future soldier."

I don't usually like to say that because of the reaction I always get, but at this moment it felt right. I'm happy I did because instead of getting questioned about joining the military with a degree and with a good federal job (People are supportive, but just don't understand why I am deciding to go this route), those around me were just appreciative for and respectful of the decision I had made, no questions asked. Throughout the event some of the students had learned of my enlistment, and although they weren't in my group and I we only knew each other from our nametags, it was very touching to have them come up and ask "are you the one joining the military?," and after my reply simply say "thanks."

Comment

Last time I was home, my mom wanted to get pic's of three gen. of Soldiers (me, my Dad, and my Grandfather) in class A's at Wal-Mart. My mom got the $260 pack, when she went back to pick them up the Manager of the store paid for them as soon as we walked out of Wal-Mart. My mom was crying so much we had to go pick her up.

Comment

my best friend is a vietnam vet...i love hanging out with him, and having people thank us.

watching a 60 year old marine cry...PRICELESS

Comment

Today after a funeral the funeral director said something along the lines of "I'd like to take this time to remind you all to keep our military in your prayers. Because of their actions in the past, present, and future we are able to enjoy all of the liberties and freedoms that we currently have." It was an awesome thing to hear and out of dozens of funerals never once has that happened. As she said that all I could do was swell up with pride as everyone stood there looking at us.

Comment

There has not been a time were I was out in uniform and didn't get some kind of thanks from people. Just yesterday me and my girlfriend got off drill, hauled *** to PointFest( I had Ridiculously amazing VIP tickets) and we were only there like 3 hours and I can't tell you how many drunk people came up to us, hugging us, thanking us for our service. People thought we were there for recruitment so they kept asking for free stuff lol. When we were in the VIP club I went to get a soda and the lady told us our moneys no good there lol. At 5 bucks a pop, that was a REAL nice gesture lol. But I can't count all the times people have paid for my lunch, or didn't make me pay, I feel bad every time.

Whenever they thank me, I just tell them "Don't thank me, I am here because I want to be"

Comment

Working...
                                X