X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Gestures by the general public

So you hear the random stories of how people take care of other people. I had one happen to me today and I decided I wanted to start a thread about it. Tell your stories about how omeone did something nice for you or you did something nice for someone else, in or out of uniform.

Here is mine from today:

I just got back from Arby's! Some lady bought my lunch. I was ordering and this lady walks up next to me. After I finished she was like I would like to pay for this. I said thank you ma'am, but you don't have to. She said I know that, but I, we, (and pointed to her hubby) want to. It's the least we can do for you, for all you do for us. My meal was 6.67. She handed the cashier a 10 and told her to give me the change and walked away.

I almost burst into tears at Arbys. Dang hormones.

Re: Nice Gestures by the general public

Great idea for a thread!

I'm always amazed how often people thank us when we're in uniform. I hope they know what it means, at least to me.

On the way down to the last phase of OCS, we stopped for a lunch and a whole family came up to us and thanked us for our service. They were very sincere about it. It actually embarrassed some of the guys, but I thought it was pretty cool. And a few days later, when I was sitting there in the mud trying to sleep, rain pouring on my head, feeling as miserable as it gets ... I thought back to those folks. And realized that I didn't want to disappoint them ... and that it was exactly the kind of thing I was enduring at that moment that they'd been thanking me for doing.

Some people don't appreciate that thanks all that much. Some think its silly, or unnecessary, or just too much. And maybe they're right, sometimes. But, man, I always tell those people THANK YOU for the thanks, and let them know just how much it means to me.

Now if I could just get some free Arby's, I'd be golden. :p

Comment

Doing so many funerals for Honor Guard I constantly have people thanking me after funerals. It feels so good hearing it, especially from the older vets.

Other than the occasional "thanks for your service" I never really had other nice gestures. Just hearing those 4 words is enough though. It's good to see that we still have people who support the military.

Comment

[QUOTE=Diesel]Great idea for a thread!

I'm always amazed how often people thank us when we're in uniform. I hope they know what it means, at least to me.

On the way down to the last phase of OCS, we stopped for a lunch and a whole family came up to us and thanked us for our service. They were very sincere about it. It actually embarrassed some of the guys, but I thought it was pretty cool. And a few days later, when I was sitting there in the mud trying to sleep, rain pouring on my head, feeling as miserable as it gets ... I thought back to those folks. And realized that I didn't want to disappoint them ... and that it was exactly the kind of thing I was enduring at that moment that they'd been thanking me for doing.

Some people don't appreciate that thanks all that much. Some think its silly, or unnecessary, or just too much. And maybe they're right, sometimes. But, man, I always tell those people THANK YOU for the thanks, and let them know just how much it means to me.

Now if I could just get some free Arby's, I'd be golden. :p[/QUOTE]

LOL More often than not it is just the simple thank you's that do it. As for the free ARby's I guess you just have to be as cute as me! Some guy filled my gas tank for me one day at drill. 27bucks!

I am in the grocery store in uniform quite often with being AGR. I will usually just stop on my way home because I know that once I get there I won't get back out. But one day last week I ran in to get a couple pieces of fruit and there was this young mom, 26 or 27, in the produce section with her 4 kids. They ranged in age form 6 or 7 to an infant. You could tell she was frustrated and had her hands full. The one little boy about 4 was throwing a fit about how he didn't like fruit and he wouldn't eat it.

She got him to be quiet when she saw me picking out fruit and said to her son, who was wide eyed at a real soldier, "If you want to grow up to be big and strong like that soldier you need to eat your fruit." The little boy was just like okay mommy. She looked like she was gonna cry when she said thank you to me. I did cry when her kids proceeded to come up to me and give me hugs for being a soldier and keeping the country safe.

Comment

Three of us just got our lunch paid for yesterday. The waitress said, "When it comes time for the check, don't worry about it. Someone has picked it up for you." We found out it was two older women seated by the window. We thanked them on our way out. It caught us totally off guard, because we eat lunch out regularly and this is the first time it has happened in a long long time.

Comment

Awesome thread!

While we were at PMT, we were allowed to leave post for a bit of a break from the grind. My battle buddy and I went to whataburger to grab up some cheeseburgers and sweet tea. Mind you, we both were a bit on the sweaty grungy side, as we had just finished running some lanes. So we go up to order and this older lady tells the cashier "please make sure these gentlemen arwe taken care of." We both respectfully declined but she insisted. So just as my buddy set his card down to pay, she slid her's on the counter. She then tells us "you pay by defending us, least I can do is pay for some cheeseburgers"

I see this happen more often in small town usa than in my own city, san antonio aka "military city usa"

Comment

I was eating at a place once and their Budweiser rep bought me and the people I was with meal....If I had a dollar for every time someone thanked me I would be well off! People today seem to be very respectful towards what we do, and its a good change from the Vietnam Era.

Comment

We were on a ruck march, and our route used an interstate overpass. Cars and trucks all started blowing their horns as they passed. It wasn't just a couple either; nearly every car did it. I was midpack, so I got to hear the noise as the people in front and behind of me crossed. It was strange that the horns affected me.

Comment

I always stop at the same gas station for coffee and these two old Korean war vets hang out there and they always pay for my coffee. We have a deal now when I'm in uniform they buy mine and when I'm not I buy theirs.
                  Last drill I stopped at Poppa Murphys an the line was real long, and a family just got their pizza, when they turned around and saw me they gave me their pie and everyone in the place started thanking me, I was all kinds of choked up! Most of the time I don't know what to say to them.

Comment

To add onto what Tigerforce said,

Make sure to pay your respects to the soldiers and veterans of old. Especially since in their time, they might not have had the same kind of treatment we have. They need to know that the soldiers of today owe a lot to them.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]To add onto what Tigerforce said,

Make sure to pay your respects to the soldiers and veterans of old. Especially since in their time, they might not have had the same kind of treatment we have. They need to know that the soldiers of today owe a lot to them.[/QUOTE]

One thing I always say to a Vietnam vet is "Welcome Home!" that means a lot to most of them since they never got the fanfare most of us get nowadays

Comment

Make sure to pay your respects to the soldiers and veterans of old. Especially since in their time, they might not have had the same kind of treatment we have. They need to know that the soldiers of today owe a lot to them.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Comment

A few different airports on the east cost have groups that come on almost a daily basis to send off 747's. Most are retired and Vets. Some actually travel quite a distance a few times a week to do it. They had about 75 people at this tiny airport in NH send us off. It was awesome!

Having just traveled across the world in uniform I heard many thanks. I always feel guilty for them. I appreciete them, but think about the others in the past that have gone through so much more. You know those little old men that are Vets? You can just tell. (its propably that VFW hat!) I bet you 9/10 times i'd guess right if they are or arent. Anyways, I always try to do nice things for my elders but I especially go out of my way for those guys.

Just reading this thread made me tear up! And i'm not pregnant. I'm one that most things dont change my attitude. I'm pretty level and dont get emotional over things. But military home comings and thanks have always gotten to me, even as a kid.

Comment

[QUOTE=cyall]We were on a ruck march, and our route used an interstate overpass. Cars and trucks all started blowing their horns as they passed. It wasn't just a couple either; nearly every car did it. I was midpack, so I got to hear the noise as the people in front and behind of me crossed. It was strange that the horns affected me.[/QUOTE]

The place that I used to drill for RSP was on the service road of a major interstate and we used to do our runs on the road. When people saw us out there EVERYONE would blow their horns for us.

Comment

Amen to that. A lot of the bonuses and benefits that we get now being in the military are a result of them getting so little from their government.

Comment

Working...
                              X