X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E1-E4 Promotions

I see a LOT of questions about E1-E4 promotions. I was actually backwards in my way of thinking. I was straightened out when I tried to promote a soldier about a year too early! So here we go....

Down and dirty of promotions E-1 to E4.

TIG(time in Grade)= starts the day you sign your contract
    TIS (time in service) = starts the day you ship for basic training

Automatic promotion requirements are as follows:
    E1-E2- 6 Months TIS
    E2-E3- Mos TIS & 4 mos TIG
    E3-E4- 24 mos TIS & 6 MOS TIG

Promotions with waiver:
    E1-E2- 4 MOS TIS
    E2-E3 6MOS TIS & 2MOS TIG
    E3-E4- 18MOS TIS and 3 mos TIG

This being said... RSP can advance from E1-E2 without regards to the TIS requirement. Anything above that though needs to follow the above guidelines.

So here is a general example of a PVT who is being promoted with waivers:

PVT Snuffy enlists on 20090101 and ships for basic 20090601. PVT Snuffy's RSP unit can promote him when he leaves for basic so he is not an E1.

PV2 Snuffy comes back to his unit on 20100101. PV2 Snuffy now has 6MOS TIS and 6MOS TIG. Which means he can be promoted to PFC w/a waiver. PFC Suffy will be eligible for his SPC w/a waiver on 20110101. He will at this point have 18MOS TIS and 12MOS TIG.

Now the same example except when PVT Snuffy returns from AIT he finds out his unit does not promote ANYONE with a waiver. He must wait out TIG and TIS requirements.

So he comes back as a PV2 on 20090601. He will be eligible for PFC on 20100601 because he will have 12 mos TIS and 12mos TIG. He will be eligible for SPC on 20110601 because he will have 24mos TIS and 12MOS TIG.

TIS is what holds most people up, especially those who sit in RSP for a year before shipping.

Make a little more sense now?

Re: E1-E4 Promotions

Let me throw in a monkey wrench in with my question. I'm prior service and was an E-4 and recieved an Article 15 for missing formation one morning in Korea. I ETS'd an E-1 with 3 years TIS... My recruter told me I have to come back in an E1 and then submit my Bachlors Degree to my new unit and they will promote me to E4...

What do you think?

Comment

[QUOTE=Oldschool23]Let me throw in a monkey wrench in with my question. I'm prior service and was an E-4 and recieved an Article 15 for missing formation one morning in Korea. I ETS'd an E-1 with 3 years TIS... My recruter told me I have to come back in an E1 and then submit my Bachlors Degree to my new unit and they will promote me to E4...

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Ummm I think your recruiter needs to submit your bachelors degree to get you your E4. Once you hit my books I can promote you only by the promotion scale above. Make the recruiter do the work for you. If you come to me as an E1 I promote you to e2 and so on and so forth.

Which because you already have 3 years TIS it would go by TIG. So we could give you PV2 almost automatically. PFC 2 months after that and SPC 3 months after that. So potentially in 5 months you could have your SPC. As long as your unit is willing to do the TIG waiver.

Otherwise you could have your SPC in 10 Months.
      Last edited by SGTHess; August 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Important Note: Post BT/AIT, promotions require a recent passing PT score.

Important Note 2: Do not count on automatic promotions the very day you hit that mark. Some state may have systems in place that help check that, but it's in your best interest to inquire about your promotion with your chain of command REGULARY until it actually happens.

Take charge of your promotions and pay. Do not rely 100% on others or the system to do it for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]Important Note: Post BT/AIT, promotions require a recent passing PT score.

Important Note 2: Do not count on automatic promotions the very day you hit that mark. Some state may have systems in place that help check that, but it's in your best interest to inquire about your promotion with your chain of command REGULARY until it actually happens.

Take charge of your promotions and pay. Do not rely 100% on others or the system to do it for you.[/QUOTE]

Very good points. We are on top of our promotions and the majority of our soldiers actaully get promoted with the waiver. I, however, tend to forget that not everyone is as on the ball as us.

Comment

[QUOTE=Oldschool23]Let me throw in a monkey wrench in with my question. I'm prior service and was an E-4 and recieved an Article 15 for missing formation one morning in Korea. I ETS'd an E-1 with 3 years TIS... My recruter told me I have to come back in an E1 and then submit my Bachlors Degree to my new unit and they will promote me to E4...

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Must have been a really important formation you missed!

Comment

[QUOTE=OCSAllTheWay]Must have been a really important formation you missed![/QUOTE]

I left out the part where I woke up in a hooch around noon with no overnight pass... My stomech hurts when I think how irresponsable I was as a teenager.

Comment

[QUOTE=Oldschool23]I left out the part where I woke up in a hooch around noon with no overnight pass... My stomech hurts when I think how irresponsable I was as a teenager.[/QUOTE]

Ahh yes I know that gut feeling all too well. When I think about the fact that I would have over 12 years in the Air Force and be retiring in 8 years if I hadn't done that stupid crap!!! OWWWIE!

Comment

I have a question. I enlisted in November of 2008. I shipped out in April of 09 and just got back a couple of days ago from AIT. My TIS is 9 months, TIG is 4 months. I am still getting paid as an E-1, but my recruited says in the system i'm an E-2. I don't know who to talk to. I just went to my gold phase part of RSP and no representatives from my unit showed up from my unit. My recruited is the wrong person to talk to because everytime I talk to him about it he says the same thing. Who do I talk to? :confused: .

Comment

[QUOTE=Leo925]I have a question. I enlisted in November of 2008. I shipped out in April of 09 and just got back a couple of days ago from AIT. My TIS is 9 months, TIG is 4 months. I am still getting paid as an E-1, but my recruited says in the system i'm an E-2. I don't know who to talk to. I just went to my gold phase part of RSP and no representatives from my unit showed up from my unit. My recruited is the wrong person to talk to because everytime I talk to him about it he says the same thing. Who do I talk to? :confused: .[/QUOTE]

When you inprocess your unit on your first drill weekend ask your Readiness NCO. They are usually the ones who handle all pay issues. I am doing it as the Training NCO because my RNCO is away at school. They should be able to square you away.

And you have it backwards. Your TIS is 4 months and TIG is 9 months.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]
                      So here is a general example of a PVT who is being promoted with waivers:

PVT Snuffy enlists on 20090101 and ships for basic 20090601. PVT Snuffy's RSP unit can promote him when he leaves for basic so he is not an E1.

Make a little more sense now?[/QUOTE]

Ok so let me see if I understand this......
                      if i enlisted back in October and have not shipped to basic but been attending rsp ever since, does that count as time in service and if so am i eligible for a promotion to E-2?

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]Ummm I think your recruiter needs to submit your bachelors degree to get you your E4. Once you hit my books I can promote you only by the promotion scale above. Make the recruiter do the work for you. If you come to me as an E1 I promote you to e2 and so on and so forth.

Which because you already have 3 years TIS it would go by TIG. So we could give you PV2 almost automatically. PFC 2 months after that and SPC 3 months after that. So potentially in 5 months you could have your SPC. As long as your unit is willing to do the TIG waiver.

Otherwise you could have your SPC in 10 Months.[/QUOTE]

Just left the recruiter and he told me he can not submit my BA degree; I need to go back the same rank I came out. He also told me it's my responsability to get a letter from the unit I wish to join if I don't join the local unit he is part of... Doesn't sound right, but I'll start making calls this afternoon.

Question: Do I really need a letter from the unit I'm joining before I can sign up for my over 40 physical? He's telling me thats another reason I should join the local unit; It may take too long to track down the CO and the age will go back down and I'll be screwed...

Comment

Get another recruiter. He is either lazy or uninformed.
                          here is the reg Army Regulation 601210
                          google it, download it, and read chapter 2 & especially chapter 3 as it pertains to grade for prior service on enlistment.

Either way dump your recruiter. You can get E-4.

Comment

SGT Hess........

great info!!

really appreciated that!!

Comment

SGT Hess is confusing some dates. Your TIS starts the day you sign the contract. A commander can promote up to PFC with out the Soldier completing AIT.

Comment

Working...
                              X