Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year civilian overseas contract...what about my guard obligation?!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year civilian overseas contract...what about my guard obligation?!

Hi,
    Right now I have a steady permanent job but I am interested in taking a contract job located in a foreign country that would take me away from the US, and essentially my ARNG unit, for one year. Am I able to take the contracting position for a year? If so, what kind of "hoops" will I have to jump through?
    Thanks.

One year civilian overseas contract...what about my guard obligation?!

I have an opportunity for a one year overseas contract (Not Iraq/Af), does the National Guard have any guidance regarding this? Can the Guard dictate my civilian employment? Can I be exempt from drill for a year? My unit is not scheduled to deploy until 2013. Any information will be appreciated...

Comment

Re: One year civilian overseas contract...what about my guard obligation?!

The way my recruiter explained it to me, is that you will take one of your IRR years from the end of your contract and use that as your one year overseas for a civilian contract.

Comment

There's also Inactive National Guard.

Comment

I strongly recommend ING versus IRR. While both statuses still leave you as a mobilization asset, you have far less exposure in the ING versus the IRR. In addition, the paperwork is dramatically simpler. Moving to the IRR may also trigger some recoupment of bonus or SLRP or other incentive. Do a search for ING on this forum for additional discussion and background.

Moderator Edit: [URL="https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/Soldiers/ING/Pages/default.aspx"]Official ING Site[/URL]
          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

As a hypothetical situation. Could you technically go on a reality show use a Inactive Guard year or a few months if you got choosen to go? Maybe wear some guard gear to get credit for drill?

Comment

[QUOTE=cheeseman]As a hypothetical situation. Could you technically go on a reality show use a Inactive Guard year or a few months if you got choosen to go? Maybe wear some guard gear to get credit for drill?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you get picked up for MTV's "Real Word: Poughkeepsie" you should talk to your chain of command. If the command considers this in the Guard's best interests, they can waive your drills (although you won't earn retirement points or get paid) or work out some other deal.

Comment

Working...
              X