X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A site for parents

I noticed we have a lot of people that come here and say their parents have a problem with their decision to join. Here is something that may help you out. I know my mom was nervous about my decision to join and when it came time to ship for OSUT it got even worse. She realized this was real and I was going away to learn how to survive combat and become and American Soldier. One thing that helped her was a web forum similar to this one called Go Army Parents, or GAP for short.

It can be found at [url]www.goarmyparents.com[/url]

There is a wealth of information there from parents who have children in IET, deployed, or just stationed overseas. She found a lot of information about things there that she was questioning. She was even able to get in contact with 2 other mothers of Soldiers in my OSUT company. She said being able to talk with them made my time away so much easier. They were able to share information with each other in case someone's child didn't get to call home for one reason or another.

Fast forward a few months and all 3 mothers still talk (even though one's child was already discharged). My mother and one of the others were able to meet at graduation and even got to spend some time together at a party because she lived a short time from Fort Lost in the woods. Now they are a support channel for each other and one of my battle buddies is soon to deploy and the other starts college.

Now not everyone may find other parents to talk to like mine did, but it can be an awesome place for your parents to find support while you go through enlisting, IET, and deployments. I hope the link can help someone to make the change to the Army life easier to bear.

Re: A site for parents

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

That's a great site

Comment

This site has been and still is an awesome support system for parents of Soldiers! I found 3 moms that had son's in my son's company at Basic. We met up at Graduation. I have also found several moms that have sons at AIT with my son. We support each other regularly. I would recommend this to any parent with a son/daughter in the Army/NG. There are also many spouses on this site also.

Comment

[QUOTE=NGmom09]This site has been and still is an awesome support system for parents of Soldiers! I found 3 moms that had son's in my son's company at Basic. We met up at Graduation. I have also found several moms that have sons at AIT with my son. We support each other regularly. I would recommend this to any parent with a son/daughter in the Army/NG. There are also many spouses on this site also.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see some positive experience posted here. My mom actually still stays in contact with both moms even though one child was discharged. The other is currently serving in Iraq and e-mails my mom a few times a week with updates and pics.

Comment

Also, anyone who's in their teens with a half decent recruiter would have the RRNCO talk to their parents.

Comment

I read that a good Recruiter would (should) stay in contact with teens parents. My son enlisted in November and is set for BCT in March (Ft. Sill) then to Baltimore for AIT. I can't get his recruiter to return a phone call...

Comment

Working...
              X