Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill would lower retirement age for guard/reserves

[url]http://www.house.gov/list/press/nj02_lobiondo/071509.html[/url]

[QUOTE]
    A bill introduced July 15 would—if passed into law—lower the retirement age to 55 for members of the National Guard and military Reserves. The bill, H.R. 1695, sponsored by Rep. Frank A. LoBiondo, R-N.J., would bring the National Guard and Reserves retirement age more in line with those for active-duty service members. The current age requirement for members of the National Guard or Reserve Component to begin receiving retirement pay is 60 years old. However, active-duty service members may begin receiving retirement pay as soon as they serve their 20 years, which in some cases may be as early as age 38. The age limitation placed on the Reserve Component was set in 1948, when it was a much different force, noted LoBiondo, a member of the House Armed Services Committee. “This bipartisan legislation would ensure uniform requirements across the services and reservists for receiving retirement pay they are rightly due,” said LoBiondo. H.R. 1695 is endorsed by the Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States, the Air Force Sergeants Association, the National Association of Uniformed Services and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
    [/QUOTE]

Re: Bill would lower retirement age for guard/reserves

I just saw the post date on this. Funny coincidence for hijacking a year old thread. I was searching for an update on the bill but it appears to be in limbo. Is there talks in the ranks about this still? Any updates or scuttlebutt out there with more info than the legislative sites?

Has anyone mentioned this when posed with the " What would you change about the Guard?" interview question?

Comment

[QUOTE=Trooper TJ]

Has anyone mentioned this when posed with the " What would you change about the Guard?" interview question?[/QUOTE]

Yeah let the States have more control over them.

Comment

This seems to fail over and over for one simple reason...money..

Seems paying later is better than paying now...politician logic...

Comment

I was wondering if there is any new news on the HR-1695 bill requesting retirement @ the age of 55, am very intrested if this bill has passed yet, any new information will be appreciated. Pleas send me a PM. thanks Ed
          Last edited by RyCass; September 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM. Reason: Deleted personal email

Comment

[I]Under the new law, members of the National Guard and Reserves are able to reduce the age at which they are eligible to receive retirement pay by three months for [B]each cumulative period of 90 days served on active duty in any fiscal year.[/B] Qualifying active-duty service performed after Jan. 28, 2008, the date on which the fiscal 2009 National Defense Authorization Act was enacted, is creditable. The law does not provide credit for time served on or before that date. [/I]

To qualify for this do I have to be a member of the NG/Reserves or does my AD Jan 2008- November 2012 count as well?

Comment

No, that time does not count but all your time counts for retirement points. That refers to deployed time for NG/Reserves and many Guardmembers who deployed during the early years of GWOT are not eligible since it is not retroactive.

Comment

[QUOTE=fmcityslicker;167785]No, that time does not count but all your time counts for retirement points. That refers to deployed time for NG/Reserves and many Guardmembers who deployed during the early years of GWOT are not eligible since it is not retroactive.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks, but thanks for the info.

Comment

[QUOTE=ajdeployed12;167783][I]Under the new law, members of the National Guard and Reserves are able to reduce the age at which they are eligible to receive retirement pay by three months for [B]each cumulative period of 90 days served on active duty in any fiscal year.[/B] Qualifying active-duty service performed after Jan. 28, 2008, the date on which the fiscal 2009 National Defense Authorization Act was enacted, is creditable. The law does not provide credit for time served on or before that date. [/I]

To qualify for this do I have to be a member of the NG/Reserves or does my AD Jan 2008- November 2012 count as well?[/QUOTE]

I thought this only applied to deployment time.......... Hope I Heard wrong

Comment

[QUOTE=crimeguy;167997]I thought this only applied to deployment time.......... Hope I Heard wrong[/QUOTE]

It states "qualifying active duty service" so i'm assuming 'qualifying' omits AGR time and such and just means deployment time. Assuming never works for me so the law should be looked at more closely by those curious I imagine.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74;168002]It states "qualifying active duty service" so i'm assuming 'qualifying' omits AGR time and such and just means deployment time. Assuming never works for me so the law should be looked at more closely by those curious I imagine.[/QUOTE]

Why would an AGR worry about an mday retirement?

Comment

I dunno. I didnt read the entire first post because i'm lazy so tried to just decide what crimeguy was referring to without reading everything. Seemed like they are wondering what qualifies for this 90 day thing and since it says "qualifying active duty service" and there are only so many types of NG orders...its probably meaning just deployment time?

Comment

Here is the whole article from [url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/guardandreserve/a/earlyretirement.htm[/url] December 15, 2008

Members of the National Guard and Reserve can retire after they have performed 20 or more years of creditable military service. The amount of retirement pay they receive is based on a system of points earned for for Guard/Reserve and active duty service performed during their careers (See Guard/Reserve Retirement Pay Point System ).

Read more at the URL above.
                          Last edited by RyCass; October 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM. Reason: Corrected format

Comment

Working...
                          X