X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tricare Reserve Select

I know that the soldiers I work with like it a lot. I wouldn't really know though, since I have Tricare Prime Remote (hubby is the sponsor). Participating providers are limited, and there is no MTF nearby, but I rarely pay anything to see a doc and my Rx benefit is the same as TRS.

For the price, it's better than nothing. If you have a sickly, high-medical-maintainence family, then it might not be for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=RedLeg]Actually the cost is $180.17 per month if you have a family.

[url]http://www.humana-military.com/south/bene/TRICAREPrograms/trs.asp[/url][/QUOTE]

Geez, thats rediculous. I'm glad my work offers insurance. It costs me 70$/month for PPO insurance for me and my wife with blue cross blue shield.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fstbk272]Geez, thats rediculous. I'm glad my work offers insurance. It costs me 70$/month for PPO insurance for me and my wife with blue cross blue shield.[/QUOTE]

$180 is actually cheaper than what most people are paying right now. I have dual coverage for 6 through my wife's hospital ($300/month) and my job ($0.)

Co-Pays are the extent of anything I've paid out of pocket so far.

Comment

In case anybody is interested TRS family coverage goes to $197 1 Jan. I don't remember the soldier only premium.

Comment

that stinks.

Comment

My Employer (State of California) just dropped Chiropractic coverage...bummer, that was one of my favorite services...shame considering that between my contribution and what the state pays, Over $1,000 a month goes to medical, dental, and vision.

Compare that to TRS.

Comment

hmmmmm,maybe this will push my wife over the edge about me going back in. i currently pay 860.00 a month for family coverage! but at least my employer pays for me! lol.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting TRS when I get married. It would just be me and my wife under it, and we're pretty healthy as far as any medical-expenses go. What do you recommend?

Comment

[QUOTE=LoneStarSoldier;138519]I'm thinking about getting TRS when I get married. It would just be me and my wife under it, and we're pretty healthy as far as any medical-expenses go. What do you recommend?[/QUOTE]

I recommend getting it. Everyone is healthy until they are not and then they need insurance. You dont wait until you get in a car accident to buy car insurance, dont wait on health insurance either.

Comment

[QUOTE=RSP NCO;138526]I recommend getting it. Everyone is healthy until they are not and then they need insurance. You dont wait until you get in a car accident to buy car insurance, dont wait on health insurance either.[/QUOTE]

NCO's and their good advice.

Comment

I don't know if they offer it you may want to get additional dental and vision insurance.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check with my unit to see what plan they offer.

Comment

I've been trying to enroll via the website, but it's not responding. Thanks to this thread, I'll just give them a call instead.

Comment

[QUOTE=Macnamara;138750]I've been trying to enroll via the website, but it's not responding. Thanks to this thread, I'll just give them a call instead.[/QUOTE]

Their website really blows. You basically have to call them. When I try to pay online, it tells me that "Only Tricare Reserve Select members" can use that option. I am a freakin' TRS member, wtf.

I like it though.

Comment

TRS I [I]believe[/I] covers vision. From the Tricare website:
                                [QUOTE]TRICARE covers contact lenses and/or eyeglasses only for treatment of:

Infantile glaucoma
                                Corneal or scleral lenses for treatment of keratoconus
                                Scleral lenses to retain moisture when normal tearing is not present or is inadequate
                                Corneal or scleral lenses to reduce corneal irregularities other than astigmatism
                                Intraocular lenses, contact lenses, or eyeglasses for loss of human lens function resulting from intraocular surgery, ocular injury, or congenital absence
                                "Pinhole" glasses prescribed for use after surgery for detached retina
                                Note: Adjustments, cleaning, and repairs for eyeglasses are not covered

However, in most cases, you may obtain one free pair of glasses a year from the Navy Ophthalmic Support Training Activity Command (NOSTRA) in Yorktown, VA. For more information, please see the National Guard and Reserve Ordering Information on the the NOSTRA Web Site or call the customer support center at 1-757-887-7611. Your unit will need to have an account set up with NOSTRA for you to order glasses.

If you are activated, you'll order glasses through NOSTRA in the same manner as active duty service members.[/QUOTE]

Dental is an entirely different plan - It's the Tricare Dental Program ([URL="http://www.tricaredentalprogram.com/tdptws/home.jsp"]link here[/URL]) It's about $72 for a family (I believe) if you are inactive. Activated it's $31.72.

[QUOTE]The TRICARE Dental Program offers comprehensive dental coverage to all enrolled members, which includes:

Diagnostic and preventive services (exams, cleanings, fluorides, sealants, and X-rays)
                                Basic restorative services (fillings)
                                Endodontics (root canals)
                                Periodontics (gum surgery)
                                Oral surgery (extractions)
                                Prosthodontics (crowns, dentures)
                                Orthodontics (braces)
                                For more detailed information about the TDP covered services, see the TRICARE Dental Program Benefit Booklet.

Costs
                                You'll pay monthly premiums and cost shares for certain types of care. Cost shares will vary depending on the sponsor's pay grade. To view the current premiums and cost shares, click here.

The TRICARE Dental Program limits how much can be paid per enrollee for dental services.

Maximum

Description

Annual Maximum

$1,200 per enrollee per contract year (Feb. 1-Jan. 31 each year) for non-orthodontic services*

Lifetime Maximum

$1,500 per enrollee for orthodontic treatment

If an enrollee receives orthodontic services (other than orthodontic diagnostic services), payments for these services will not exceed $1,500 during the enrollee's eligibility lifetime. Orthodontic diagnostic services will be applied to the $1,200 annual maximum.

*Payments for certain diagnostic and preventive services are not applied against the annual maximum.[/QUOTE]

The 2011 TRS monthly premiums are:

TRS Member-Only coverage: $53.16 per month.
                                TRS Member-and-Family coverage: $197.76 per month.

I would recommend TRS - the out of pocket max per family is $100/year I believe, which is pretty awesome. If you have a baby, you hit that just with delivery. The cost share is 85/15 (you pay 15%, ins pays 85%). I think the copay for Dr's visits might be something like $20 - I know it's about $50 or something for hospital.

There's also a prescription program. It's like, $3 a prescription for generic brands, and you can get some of them free if you have an MTF with a pharmacy nearby. You can also do prescriptions by mail I think.

[URL="http://tricare.mil/"]Here's the link for Tricare[/URL].

It is entirely not possible to get better health coverage than through the military.

Here is a link for [URL="http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/home/overview/Plans/LearnAboutPlansAndCosts/TRICAREReserveSelect"]Tricare Reserve Select[/URL].

Hope that helps some folks. We have been really pleased with both Tricare Dental and TRS. DH currently works FT for the Guard, so we have Tricare Prime, but when we were on TRS, we loved it. But we're generally healthy people (I was pregnant while we were on TRS, so my experience during that time was great).

Comment

Working...
                                X