Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space A flight

anyone use this?

right now I don't have a civilian job (waiting on 2 places while they run my background) and I wouldn't mind going somewhere.... Germany would be nice, or even in the states, so I have all the time in the world

so I was wondering if anyone uses it, and how do I go find a flight? I found a website, thats helpful ([url]www.spacea.net[/url]) but it doesn't tell me how to get on the flight lol..

Its great if your single, I have used it twice. I live in a town with a refueling wing, and those guys fly everywhere. I had to register and on a email list of upcoming slots. I dont remember where it was, I want to say I signed up at the air wing.

Comment

Yeah I was wondering a bit about this too. I've always wanted to spend a week in Europe and I thought I might be able to actually make a trip with space-a, extra cash in case of delay, and some work ;)

Comment

I read in one of the military codes that members of the national guard can't go overseas using space a. Go to puerto rico =)

Comment

[QUOTE=Tiana]I read in one of the military codes that members of the national guard can't go overseas using space a. Go to puerto rico =)[/QUOTE]

where did ya read that? what makes us 'special' as far as Space-a goes? lol

it seems all too confusing, I wish it was like expedia or something lol...

Comment

Ah, Space A, when I was in Japan I took a Space A flight from Okinawa to Gulfport, MS for free, yep, no charge.

As for the rules for ARNG:

[url]http://www.spacea.info/faq.html[/url]

22. May National Guard and Reservists fly Space-A? National Guard members and Reservists in an Active paid status may fly anywhere in CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Guard and Reserve members cannot fly Space-A to a foreign country. Guard and Reserve members must have the ID Card, DD Form 2, and DD Form 1853, Authentication of Reserve Status for Travel Eligibility (authenticated by the Unit Commander within the last six months). The same is true of Guard and Reserve personnel who have received official notification of retirement eligibility but have not reached retirement age (60). This “gray area” retirement eligible group must present their ID cards (Red) and retirement eligibility notices (letters) or possess a red DD Form 2 which has been generated from the DEERS database.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tiana]I read in one of the military codes that members of the national guard can't go overseas using space a. Go to puerto rico =)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think I found that one just now.

Bah, Puerto Rico doesn't have the ruins of Rome and ancient Greece :)

Just for others' clarification:

[url]http://www.military.com/Travel/Content1/0,,SAF_faq,00.html[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=M-T]Oh, I think I found that one just now.

Bah, Puerto Rico doesn't have the ruins of Rome and ancient Greece :)

Just for others' clarification:

[url]http://www.military.com/Travel/Content1/0,,SAF_faq,00.html[/url][/QUOTE]

you mean this?

Question: As a Reservist, where can I fly?
                Answer: Reserve members with DD Form 2 (Red) identification and DD Form 1853 may fly to, from, and between Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the CONUS. Additionally, when on active duty, members may fly anywhere overseas that AMC has flights operating.

Comment

Right, so you'd have to be on leave from a deployment or have an AGR job to go outside the US/US territories.

Comment

That sucks... I guess no more going to germany LOL

oh well, it'd probably be full anyways...

I'll travel state side lol...

you don't need to be in uniform for this correct? just 'common sense' clothing

Comment

Nope, no uniform required.

Comment

[QUOTE=OCSAllTheWay]Nope, no uniform required.[/QUOTE]

cool...

now how can I check where I can go? I don't even know where planes would take off from my location, there is an ARB about 50 miles away from me, and tyndall AFB (main one closest to me) about couple hundred miles up....

but I'm not sure of their schedule, and where they go (if they go)

Comment

This I can't really help you on because in Okinawa they had a AFN TV station that had flight times/dates on it, plus we basically knew what flights were normal. Usually you'll just have to check with the base to see, because it's all mission dependent. Example: I couldn't get Space A commercial all the way from LAX to Okinawa, so I took Space A to Yokota and then caught another hop to Okinawa from there.

As far as Tyndall AFB, I can't seem to find an AMC listing for that base, you'll have to call them and ask.

Comment

Who do I call, and ask for what?

Hi, this is private yildiz, i'd like to get the AMC schedule for tyndall? (or macdill, which I think is closer to me)

Comment

I wouldnt even classify it as a benefit...and I don't even think recruiters would promote it anymore.

Because it stinks. I rode a paid space A flight to get home after my son was born early. On the way back....they MADE ME SHAVE in the terminal.

Comment

Working...
                              X