X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Let's entertain Becky thread!

[QUOTE=WIBecky74] I cant spell,but some of it has to do with the lag, and also just not caring about looking back over it because it stinks and I gave up worrying about it.[/QUOTE]

You know, I spend waaaay too much time reading and re-reading my post before posting. It's really sad. I have a thing with spelling, not bad, but hate when I make a spelling error. I can't stand the thought of someone reading something I've written and finding an error. I wish I didn't care :rolleyes: Funny thing is, I'm pretty critical of myself, but never very critical of other posters. I'll only question someone when I don't understand.

Comment

I found out i'm leaving two days earlier for my 15 day leave!! And got scheduled on a helicopter to the airport in Iraq. Usually we take the rhino. But it will depend on the weather that day. Have to make a decision because sometimes they ground fligts when it appears decent and not much sand in air. So if you get to the LZ and no flight, you miss the rhino which only leaves .....not often. So instead of rhino which makes multiple stops on the way, and having to find the right next one to get onto, which is a matter of going to different locations in FOBs you havent ever been to-with your full gear on in the heat, I get a straight flight! Doesn get me to Kuwait any faster, but less of a hassle. Then four more airports after that and i'll be home!! Should make it to next weeks Tuesday night Texas Hold'em game in hometown with some rest beforehand!!!! I'm excited!!!! Six months isnt that long of a time, its actually gone by farily quick, but still looking forward to it. It will be strange without having my weapon. And no boots! And hair again. And...well nevermind on that one. My dogs arent happy with me wearing boots 7 days a week. With travel time i'll be gone about three weeks. Then only about five months left..with this one anyways. SFC dealing with extension just got back from his leave, so giving him a few days to catch up then buggin' him for any more info he has found out. Supposed to be around this time that he knows more info.

Comment

Becky have a safe and enjoyable trip home!

Comment

Even if I had a few fingers on one hand cut off i'd be able to count the days until I leave here for my mid deployment leave!!!

Comment

Been stuck at my first stop just short of two days now. I do have a ticket finally though. I'll have been here about 60 hours when I finally get out. Well between two places. You haul all your crap to the place, find out you cant even get manifested, bus back to another place to try it all over again the next day. They only manifest one time every day. But at least I know when I leave. Then the next stop should go a little faster. Only 3-12 hour layover. Plus get rid of my vest there. Maybe i'll hit Wisconsin by winter! lol

Will write more once I get back and am able to. I can say i'm not looking forward to trip back or ever taking leave again! Found out more info on extending, actual facts that went out to entire brigade now and opportunity to put in for the 'wish list'.

Comment

ENJOY TIME OFF! Those air plane rides are a K-I-L-L-E-R

Comment

Oh fun it was. I get to BIAP Friday and miss the manifesting by minutes. Find out later that the ones that did get manifested that night had flight canceled anyways. Did get to ride a helicopter from near fob to BIAP, that was fun. Baghdad looks like Chicago at night. Ride bus to Stryker for overnight. Come back following night, manifesting is only done at 2000 daily. Find out Saturday that flight wont be until following night. Take myself, vest, helmet, backpack, weapon, and computer bag back to Stryker. Head to BIAP again Sunday night. Get into Ali late. Have a bunch of briefings, wont find out until 0600 Monday when flight will be. 0030 lockdown, leaves about 12 hours later. Get totice Monday morning lockdown is about 12 hours early. Go through briefings and get ready for customs. Its about 1400. Get told mechanical difficulties, have to continue with customers so will be on lockdown but flight wont be for about 28 hours. Flight gets delayed even longer then that. Find out it wasnt mechanical issues, Customs had to bring in a team of about 50 for us and it was the only time they could come. So called us in early, but had to stay since we went through customsLock down at Ali, not fun. Finally leave Kuwait about 10pm Wednesday. About eight hours to Ireland, and another eight to Atlanta. Looong days. But home now for about two weeks! :)

Comment

Hey becky, looks like we are replacing you guys, sorta. I'll pm you with some questions.

Comment

Our 1sg is gone. :( The man is awesome. One of only four others in unit i'd trust if poop went down. About a month ago he was telling me and another about numbness in his hands, thinking it was a pinched nerve. Then I gathered through FB that he has to go to Germany to hospital. He just got back from his leave. He told me and this other person that he would probably get it taken care of after returning from leave. I just got word that its a career ender. He is having surgery in Germany and will then be discharging. :( He is the type it will kill. He is very old school and been around. Has some impressive stuff under his belt from previous tours. Army is his life. He has been waiting for a lift for a few days now. Will be gone by the time I get back. I know he will welcome us back though when that time comes. I found out i'm about 80% having to remob, two week break, then mob again and hit the other war. Slim chance other approvals happen and I can just stay and move from Iraq to Afghanistan or even stay there. Guess i'll get to see him when we get back.

Comment

Guess who did a tandum sky dive yesterday? Me! :) It was excellent! Good times by all.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]Guess who did a tandum sky dive yesterday? Me! :) It was excellent! Good times by all.[/QUOTE]

It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it when I went last year. Where'd you go, Sky Dive Twin Cities? I know of another one near LaCrosse too.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mom's Mistake]It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it when I went last year. Where'd you go, Sky Dive Twin Cities? I know of another one near LaCrosse too.[/QUOTE]

Just south of Madison in Fort Atkinson. Awesome place! About 15 people to staff that place. Everyone was great there. I am not wanting to go back on Friday. Just so I can go again before I leave. lol I'm thinkin' ok, I know how these things are tracked. If I just showed up two days late at the airport they just think i'm hung up in Kuwait or Iraq longer... hehee Just kidding! I think I am going to buy the big package they offer for all 25 jumps to get you certified. It progresses through doing it independantly as you can imagine. I think after 10 you are all on your own for even learning new manuevers while free falling or maybe they just fall beside you. I think they use radio instruction. But even the 2-9 jumps are doing alot of things on your own. Yikes! Now I have to try to get my next leave for next summer and try to do most of them then! I dont think they will do it in the winter while i'm back for a few weeks. Maybe, I do remember reading their site about something year round for certain types of jumps...

I really do have this awesome thing though where I can just decide i'm doing it and not fear it. Pretty cool! Nothing like when you first start falling!
                          Last edited by WIBecky74; August 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]Just south of Madison in Fort Atkinson. Awesome place! About 15 people to staff that place. Everyone was great there. I am not wanting to go back on Friday. Just so I can go again before I leave. lol I'm thinkin' ok, I know how these things are tracked. If I just showed up two days late at the airport they just think i'm hung up in Kuwait or Iraq longer... hehee Just kidding! I think I am going to buy the big package they offer for all 25 jumps to get you certified. It progresses through doing it independantly as you can imagine. I think after 10 you are all on your own for even learning new manuevers while free falling or maybe they just fall beside you. I think they use radio instruction. But even the 2-9 jumps are doing alot of things on your own. Yikes! Now I have to try to get my next leave for next summer and try to do most of them then! I dont think they will do it in the winter while i'm back for a few weeks. Maybe, I do remember reading their site about something year round for certain types of jumps...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the same deal they have at Skydive Twin Cities. That's the closest one to me...funny its located in Hammond, WI though. I was going to take lessons to get jump qualed too but I lost my job this spring so all that money now has to be saved. Glad to hear you enjoyed it that much. For those who haven't done it before, it's definitely a life experience worth having. The adrenaline rush during freefall and the utter quiet and calm you experience just floating to the ground once your chute is deployed.

As for the first lesson, they do teach you over the radio but SDTC also has two guys latch on to your jumpsuit and guide you through the freefall. :D

Comment

[QUOTE=Mom's Mistake]Sounds like the same deal they have at Skydive Twin Cities. That's the closest one to me...funny its located in Hammond, WI though. I was going to take lessons to get jump qualed too but I lost my job this spring so all that money now has to be saved. Glad to hear you enjoyed it that much. For those who haven't done it before, it's definitely a life experience worth having. The adrenaline rush during freefall and the utter quiet and calm you experience just floating to the ground once your chute is deployed.

As for the first lesson, they do teach you over the radio but SDTC also has two guys latch on to your jumpsuit and guide you through the freefall. :D[/QUOTE]

So then what they hook back up to deploy the shute? Do you jump out alone and they come to you or you jump together?

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]So then what they hook back up to deploy the shute? Do you jump out alone and they come to you or you jump together?[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, if you've noticed those jumpsuits have like puffy bars on the arms and legs. When you jump the instructors latch on to you grabbing those puffy bars. I guess they ensure your safety during freefall. Meanwhile you're wearing one of them radio headsets and the person on the other end is guiding you through your own chute deployment and how to land. Mind you you've taken a 6-hour class on how to do this already.
                                According to the website, as you progress you do different jumps and landings and practice until you can basically do it all on your own. And then you're officially jump qualified through the USPA (US Parachute Association).
                                From there you can learn how to pack chutes and become a tandem instructor and all that stuff.

SDTF is a very popular location in this area. They have a whole area designated for camping on the weekends. They said once you're qualed, jumps are $20 a piece and some people go all weekend long.

Comment

Working...
                                X