X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it True?

OK so im not in the army or guard (yet) i have to say as far as the funniest thing i can think of as far as boot camp related fun i recall when we got sent to pendelton for the last phase of training.

The deal was that if any of the DI's got your rifle in the middle of the night you were well you were not in a good way, So i had wrapped my sling around my arm in such a way as to were if someone pulled on it the sling would tighten on my arm.

So around 230am my arm starts to hurt and i woke up full well knowing what was happening, i quietly slipped my left foot out of my sleeping bag and send it through the front of my tent as hard as i could.

Oh ya i connected with someone outside of my tent although i didnt know who it was and as there were 2 of us in the tent i figured i got half a chance to get out of getting smoked.

Next morning we got called into formation, One of our DI's had a broken nose.
    MMMM i am thinking i am screwed but i was under orders from our senior to keep your rifles at all cost. So i did.

I got called out and i was told i was squared away and to return to my post.

So the most HOOAH thing i have done was in 2004 in Iraq, We were in a firefight and pinned down behind a wall when i look over at our resident corpsman and he is laughing......

So puzzled by his actions i asked him what was so **** funny? He said "ya know it just accured to me with all this gunfire than id love to get to treat a STD"

By this time we are both laughing and needless to say i became good friends with him and we both made it back alive and well.:D

Comment

BCT funny...

Ok, so there I was... week 6 of BCT at lovely Fort Jackson (1/34th - F Co, 2nd Platoon "Rough Ryders!"). On the 1100 - 0100 shift of fireguard.

Now before I get too much farther, you have to realize I'm a pretty straight-laced guy. Always squared away, never got singled out for "special attention" in BCT, nothing. Very by the book...

During the last half the cycle, I was the bay boss. I harped on the young recruits to do the right thing always, don't sleep on fireguard, wear the proper uniform, no contracband, etc. Trying to get them to be the excellent soldiers I knew were in there somewhere...

Ok, so there I was... fireguard.

On this particular night, I was tired and ready to go home. It was week 6, our platoon was doing really well and I felt like "Fock it. I've never been in trouble, the DS's never come to our bay this early and I need a break. So, instead of doing the right thing, I chose that night to slide down a few notches. I did fireguard in my summer PTs with shower shoes. I sat on the bunk by the front door, reading letters and drinking MRE coffee I heisted from an earlier MRE (Side note - those little packs of NEscafe helped me deal with that place far better than any chaplain could. I was the coffee King. Everyone in the platoon gave me thiers. Go Me.)

Well, my battle buddy had the same inclination that night, except he was munching some scored pringles chips.

Well, we were sitting on the bunks, reading, and we heard a screaching noise come from our laundry room (BTW - the laundry room connected us to another platoons bay and that noise is the sound of the door opening). I thought that those 3rd platooons fockers were maybe trying to be sneaky and fock with us. I look up at my battle buddy and his face is sheet white and then he bolts like rabbit. Just gone. I was like "Dude, WTF!?!" I shift gaze over to the laundry room door and I catch sight of 2 Round Browns in there.

I think "Oh Fock. I'm not wearing shoes. OH FOCK!! I'm drinking illegal coffee!!!!!!"

At that time, my brain kicks into overdrive and attempts to remedy this situation quickly. I have already resolved that I am going to get it one way or another. I don't have but 5 seconds to act. So, I stash my cup on the bookshelf by bay door and put a book in front of it. I'm just focked about the shoes. I figure I'd get in more trouble for having contraband than no shoes.

In walks DS Hendricks and Yeager. I position myself behind the trashcan in a feeble attempt to hide my shoe-less feet. By some miracle, DS Yeager tells me to simply tuck in my shirt. DONE FAST!

They proceed to go through our bay and pick out a couple of guys who are sleeping on top thier blankets or thier locks are not secured. They go outside for an hour of "play time". They leave and tell me to carry on. Niether one made much of THIS soldier guarding the trashcan like it was gold.

Yes, my shoe-less arse was NOT busted. I saved my coffee. And my battle buddy? Fricken Philipino ninja got his shoes on and food stashed faster than you can say "front leaning rest position, move"
      Last edited by TxIntel 1978; January 26th, 2010, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Re: BCT funny...

****, we had to put on ACUs for fireguard. Good story.

[QUOTE=jmclaughlin1701]Ok, so there I was... week 6 of BCT at lovely Fort Jackson (1/34th - F Co, 2nd Platoon "Rough Ryders!"). On the 1100 - 0100 shift of fireguard.

Now before I get too much farther, you have to realize I'm a pretty straight-laced guy. Always squared away, never got singled out for "special attention" in BCT, nothing. Very by the book...

During the last half the cycle, I was the bay boss. I harped on the young recruits to do the right thing always, don't sleep on fireguard, wear the proper uniform, no contracband, etc. Trying to get them to be the excellent soldiers I knew were in there somewhere...

Ok, so there I was... fireguard.

On this particular night, I was tired and ready to go home. It was week 6, our platoon was doing really well and I felt like "Fock it. I've never been in trouble, the DS's never come to our bay this early and I need a break. So, instead of doing the right thing, I chose that night to slide down a few notches. I did fireguard in my summer PTs with shower shoes. I sat on the bunk by the front door, reading letters and drinking MRE coffee I heisted from an earlier MRE (Side note - those little packs of NEscafe helped me deal with that place far better than any chaplain could. I was the coffee King. Everyone in the platoon gave me thiers. Go Me.)

Well, my battle buddy had the same inclination that night, except he was munching some scored pringles chips.

Well, we were sitting on the bunks, reading, and we heard a screaching noise come from our laundry room (BTW - the laundry room connected us to another platoons bay and that noise is the sound of the door opening). I thought that those 3rd platooons fockers were maybe trying to be sneaky and fock with us. I look up at my battle buddy and his face is sheet white and then he bolts like rabbit. Just gone. I was like "Dude, WTF!?!" I shift gaze over to the laundry room door and I catch sight of 2 Round Browns in there.

I think "Oh Fock. I'm not wearing shoes. OH FOCK!! I'm drinking illegal coffee!!!!!!"

At that time, my brain kicks into overdrive and attempts to remedy this situation quickly. I have already resolved that I am going to get it one way or another. I don't have but 5 seconds to act. So, I stash my cup on the bookshelf by bay door and put a book in front of it. I'm just focked about the shoes. I figure I'd get in more trouble for having contraband than no shoes.

In walks DS Hendricks and Yeager. I position myself behind the trashcan in a feeble attempt to hide my shoe-less feet. By some miracle, DS Yeager tells me to simply tuck in my shirt. DONE FAST!

They proceed to go through our bay and pick out a couple of guys who are sleeping on top thier blankets or thier locks are not secured. They go outside for an hour of "play time". They leave and tell me to carry on. Niether one made much of THIS soldier guarding the trashcan like it was gold.

Yes, my shoe-less arse was NOT busted. I saved my coffee. And my battle buddy? Fricken Philipino ninja got his shoes on and food stashed faster than you can say "front leaning rest position, move"[/QUOTE]

Comment

LOL Loved readin the posts. Cracks me up. I remember during A.T. that a few guys were wrestling while we were out in the field, just horsing around because we had the morning AND afternoon to relax because we only had nightfire left for the last night to do. So my bud ends up coming from behind and started choking me out while I was falling asleep inthe chair. I ended up pushing him up against a tree hard and taking the breathe outta him for a second and pulled him to the ground. As soon as I did that, we saw a pair of black boots right in each other's face and we stopped for a second. As I looked up, was our PLT Sgt. He said are you kidding me, get up. said, you 2 have some energy, START RUNNING down the road (which was a range road) As soon as we started running he screamed out since you like touching each other, HOLD HANDS. and we ignored him for a second and started laughing. He SCREAMED it so loud again and we snapped to it, holding hands running (LOL...) Then screamed start skipping since you want to ignore me. :o I felt like a fairy but boy did those pictures crack me up.....section integrity!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Chaplain4me]
            What's the most HOOAH thing you've ever done in the National Guard?[/QUOTE]

A bunch of great stories, except the ones that start with "One time at Band Camp (BCT)!"

To stick with the theme, most HOOAH thing I did in the Guard: Hands down, Cold Weather School at Camp Ripley, MN. You don't know your limits until you're knocking terds off your own butt with a stick because they freeze on their way out in -20 temps (not including wind chill). We were training with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and each squad was 4/4 US/Canadian. The PPCLI got to carry a fifth of liquor (rum, vodka, whiskey) in their kit. Our squad was tight, worked our butts off, won all but one competition, and graduated with honors. We broke most of the rules though, and each day chopped enough wood to keep our 8 man arctic tent at about 80+ degrees. Combined with a shot of rum (despite the 1SG ordering us not to drink: hmm, in the field with liquor? yeah right Top!), we were sleeping on top of our sleeping bags. I think this is why we did so well each day, our squad was the only one that got a good nights sleep, everyone else was freezing their butts off! The instruction was great too, driving a HUMVEE and 2 1/2 Ton across a frozen lake, snow shoeing in proper formation, towing an akio sled down hill on ski's, etc. etc. I got frost bite on all my fingers and toes though, and I've never been able to handle the cold since (really sucks in MI during hunting season).

Doing a Combined Arms with the Marines and Air Force at 29 Palms was pretty HOOAH too. Although that was the extreme opposite where it got so hot during the day you couldn't touch the 577 TOC because the steal would burn your hands. Fired a ton of rounds (FA) and on the last day of live fire our XO told us to double all fire missions because he didn't want to have to account for the ammo if we had to take it back. Expended a couple hundred rounds in one day and blew the crap out of 29 Stumps! The forward observers caught on quick and they started to increase their call for fire, so instead of 2 or 3 rounds before Fire For Affect, we were throwing 6-8 down range with two guns before the BTY FFA'd as a whole and destroyed everything. DPICM rounds galore and we were the first CA guard unit to fire rocket propelled rounds.

Most HOOAH thing I did in the Navy in support of the Army was fly into Baghdad to help a Joint Comm unit get their Satt Comm set up. I was on a guided missle destroyer and we were the second (should have been first) ship to fire Tomahawks for Shock and Awe. We fired a total of 85 T-Hawks and I have video feed of their impact so I knew where they had gone. When the Joint Comm Commander (who I can been communicating with via Chat for troubleshooting) asked me to come in country to asssit, I jumped at the chance. Having been prior Guard and having been through numerous Army schools, he was confident I wouldn't be a "fish out of water" (pun intended). Unfortunately the Navy only had some old M-14's, a couple 12g Shot Guns and 9mm pistols. I opted for the 12g and two 9mm's. I showed up in Blue Cover-all's, a blue kevlar vest and helmet (with no cover) and my weak fire power. Needless to say I got a set of BDU's someone had lying around and they hooked me up with an M-4 for my stay. It was weird because some of the targets we hit were the same ones the Joint Comm was using as it's headquarters! I didn't have to do any patrols or anything, but while I was there I was under strick "duck and cover" orders and only engage if MY life was in jeapordy. You guys know how it is though when you develop a bond with soldiers and naturally have that brotherly bond with any service member: needless to say I wasn't going to be a coward and lay down on the deck when we encountered trouble. One day when trouble found us driving from one TOC to another, my soldiering insticts kicked in and that was the last time anyone made a joke about me switching from Green to Blue. I was no longer a Squid in their book. They had me come back 3 more times during that deployement although most of the time I think they could have fixed the problems themselves: although I always had fresh parts, so maybe that's why they were so friendly!!

Miss those moments and can't wait to get this 09S packet done....now if only someone would call me back!
            Last edited by BlueSoldier32; January 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

During BCT at lovely ft. jackson...:rolleyes: I was the shortest person in my plt My DS couldn't believe that someone so short could do what I can do but I can stand my own ground well. We where climbing this wooden ladder on the confidence course the one for the zip line and half way up I realized, The spaces between where getting widder and taller than I was. So at one point I stopped and looked up like ****...how am I supposed to climb this again? Suddenly I noticed the large carpenter nails in the wood and was like well....got to try one way or the other. My DS was kneeling at the top laughing so hard that I thought he was going to fall off and he yells down to me. Gio, today you are my hero get the h*ll up here already, all the while I'm hearing all my battle buddys on the ground saying the next one is on the left or the next one is on the right. When I finally got to the top my DS was like gio just sit for a second cause that was a workout for you...but **** that was awesome.

Another day closer to graduation my DS looked at me we where packing for the field and said Gio I bet you can fit in your A bag can't you? I looked at him and said yes Drill sgt. He just smiled and said Gio dump everything out. So I go and do it then he tells me and everyone is dead silent at this point and is just staring and he say's get in the a-bag so I do what he says I had to kneel down a little, then he walks over closes the bag over my head locks it throws me on his back or someones back i'm not really sure who picked me up. and he say's are u ok in there. I said yes. and he said ok good don't move or talk at all until i hit the side of the bag. so with me over someones shoulder we walked out of the barracks and into the co building and I hear our co, they talk for a little then he hits the bag and i'm thinking what does he want me to do so I coughed...and our co stops talking and is like....wtf. Then he hits the bag again and i move a little and our co just laughs and says...u have gio in the bag don't u....so he takes me back to the barracks a little while later our co walks in and asks me if I was ok I said sir, I willingly got into the bag. My best friend who was with me in basic still hasn't let me live that down....She reminds me everytime she see's an a bag.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gio446]so he takes me back to the barracks a little while later our co walks in and asks me if I was ok [/QUOTE]

Thats when you should have said...HELP ME SIR...PLEASE DONT LET HIM DO THAT TO ME AGAIN:D It would have been cookies and cake for you the rest of the time :D

Comment

lmao...oh I wish I would have thought of that....and i so just realized that sounded really bad when it's just that sentence pulled up.

Comment

When I was Active duty, (now im in ROTC) I was a E-5 and I had a soldier get a ticket on FT. Bragg for not stopping at a stop sign. Well That Monday during accountability formation the 1SGT called him out in front of the whole company cause he was on the blotter report. The First Sergeant said he had to go to a drivers course that was held on Saturday in class a's and it was my responsibility to get him there. So I picked him up Sat. took him to the class dropped him off in front of the building watched him walk in. Soon as I left the parking lot his girlfriend was there waiting they left he did not attend. Well Monday morning the First Sergeant wanted to know why the **** I didnt do my freakin job. I told the First Sergeant what happened to please give me another chance to train the soldier that I would take care of it. He did. That weekend was a 4 day weekend, I made him stand in front of a stop sign off the shoulder of the road in LBE,Bollistic Helmet, Roadguard vest, 2 Canteens, dummy rifle, And full BDU's from 0900 to 1700 hours. He got a smoke break from 09 to 1200 and a 1 hour lunch break, and another smoke break from 1300 to 1700, we did this for the entire weekend. I was there with him the whole weekend. He went to Jag to try and get me in trouble but couldnt cause nothing I did was immoral, and I was present during the training and he was counseled. He never got another ticket matter of fact he reclassed to MP.

Comment

[QUOTE=batman]When I was Active duty, (now im in ROTC) I was a E-5 and I had a soldier get a ticket on FT. Bragg for not stopping at a stop sign. Well That Monday during accountability formation the 1SGT called him out in front of the whole company cause he was on the blotter report. The First Sergeant said he had to go to a drivers course that was held on Saturday in class a's and it was my responsibility to get him there. So I picked him up Sat. took him to the class dropped him off in front of the building watched him walk in. Soon as I left the parking lot his girlfriend was there waiting they left he did not attend. Well Monday morning the First Sergeant wanted to know why the **** I didnt do my freakin job. I told the First Sergeant what happened to please give me another chance to train the soldier that I would take care of it. He did. That weekend was a 4 day weekend, I made him stand in front of a stop sign off the shoulder of the road in LBE,Bollistic Helmet, Roadguard vest, 2 Canteens, dummy rifle, And full BDU's from 0900 to 1700 hours. He got a smoke break from 09 to 1200 and a 1 hour lunch break, and another smoke break from 1300 to 1700, we did this for the entire weekend. I was there with him the whole weekend. He went to Jag to try and get me in trouble but couldnt cause nothing I did was immoral, and I was present during the training and he was counseled. He never got another ticket matter of fact he reclassed to MP.[/QUOTE]

awesome sauce

Comment

that's awesome batman.

Comment

[quote=SGT Bart]LOL Loved readin the posts. Cracks me up. I remember during A.T. that a few guys were wrestling while we were out in the field, just horsing around because we had the morning AND afternoon to relax because we only had nightfire left for the last night to do. So my bud ends up coming from behind and started choking me out while I was falling asleep inthe chair. I ended up pushing him up against a tree hard and taking the breathe outta him for a second and pulled him to the ground. As soon as I did that, we saw a pair of black boots right in each other's face and we stopped for a second. As I looked up, was our PLT Sgt. He said are you kidding me, get up. said, you 2 have some energy, START RUNNING down the road (which was a range road) As soon as we started running he screamed out since you like touching each other, HOLD HANDS. and we ignored him for a second and started laughing. He SCREAMED it so loud again and we snapped to it, holding hands running (LOL...) Then screamed start skipping since you want to ignore me. :o I felt like a fairy but boy did those pictures crack me up.....section integrity!![/quote]
                          I had to hold hands with another private after we both got injured during our APFT run. Yeah fun times (not really). I look back and laugh now
                          Last edited by kswat07; January 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cheeseman]We had a guy in my platoon who mooned the other platoon from one of the bay windows. Funny and all until the person who saw the butt was that bays' DS. Wow, we got stronger that day. Same guy started getting into it with another guy and before you know it one wall locker fell over and it dominoed into 4 more wall lockers falling. Our DS was in his office. He opened the door and goes "front lean and rest move. Now what happened?" A guy during dry fire still had one in the chamber and shot it off. DS threw his M16 down the firing lane lol.[/QUOTE]

I almost just had a tear from that.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chaplain4me]Is it true that late at night while you are sleeping, there's a drill sergeant creeping all around?

What's the most HOOAH thing you've ever done in the National Guard?[/QUOTE]

I jumped out of a balloon in Thailand. Scariest/Funniest jump of my life, and earned me my second set of foreign jump wings.

Comment

The coolest thing I have done in the Army so far was touring a village in Iraq. Played with the kids and gave them candy. That's a memory I will always cherish.

Comment

Working...
                                X