Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you qualify for Air Assault & Airborne Schools?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you qualify for Air Assault & Airborne Schools?

LT_77's thread got me very interested in both schools...

So how do you qualify for them?

Do you request to go after you get back from AIT?

At RSP, one of the officers said that the Guard will send anyone who qualify and requests to go to these schools, but what if its not in your contract, can they add it in? I never knew about AA or ABN before I contracted so I'm pretty sure its not in my contract but now that I know what they are, I am very interested to go!

Airborne, its alot easier if your going to a Airborne unit or transfer into one. You can also do it if you reup sometimes. Also, if there are extra slots and you have performed highly well at BCT/AIT, they might ask you. If your not going to a Airborne unit, then they might not waste the funds. But talk to your COC when you get there and see what direction they might send.

Air Assault, is having a big push right now. There was a incentive program on initial contracts. Talk to your Readiness NCO when you get to your unit. Just do your job, exceed at all you do, and show willingness to help and be on time everytime. Good things come to those that can be rewarded. Good Luck, these are some really good schools.

Comment

[QUOTE=tu.bui]
      At RSP, one of the officers said that the Guard will send anyone who qualify and requests to go to these schools,[/QUOTE]

This is somewhat misleading. All schools require seats and state money to fund soldiers to go to them at a minimum. Some might even say meeting the physical requirements and getting commander's blessing is the [I]easy [/I]part. :rolleyes:

Comment

There is the AA incentive for new officers at the moment. So if you planned on going to OCS or ROTC you should look into this. I plan on taking advantage of it. Then im shooting to get slotted into an airborne unit so going to jump school wont be a problem (its an LRS unit, so I will also have to become ranger qual'ed)

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]
          Air Assault, is having a big push right now. There was a incentive program on initial contracts. Talk to your Readiness NCO when you get to your unit. Just do your job, exceed at all you do, and show willingness to help and be on time everytime. Good things come to those that can be rewarded. Good Luck, these are some really good schools.[/QUOTE]

Do you need to ask Air Assault on your contract? Can you?

Comment

[QUOTE=tu.bui]LT_77's thread got me very interested in both schools...

So how do you qualify for them?

Do you request to go after you get back from AIT?

At RSP, one of the officers said that the Guard will send anyone who qualify and requests to go to these schools, but what if its not in your contract, can they add it in? I never knew about AA or ABN before I contracted so I'm pretty sure its not in my contract but now that I know what they are, I am very interested to go![/QUOTE]

Bui,
            The Major who spoke at the last RSP was saying, when you get back - if you keep your PT scores up and are motivated and want to go [I]they will work with you to send you.[/I] This is about the same response I got when I got in contact with my unit, they said they would very much be willing to work to get you a slot if you keep your PT scores up. However, I've never heard any guarantee's. However it seems like they are really encouraging people to goto these schools right now.

You don't need it in your contract, but the way I'm told it goes is basically they will say "Hey NJ National Guard, we've got X slots for Airborne school reserved for your State - pick your X people and have them report...". And they'll distribute it from there ( I could be wrong).

-Steve

Comment

Steve,

Yeah I think thats what they said. They said be motivated in BCT/AIT and when you get back to Gold Phase for the unit hand off, start from there :D

Comment

does someone know the procedure on walk-on? What's the deal on slots if going that route? And what if I take no-pay orders?

Comment

Working...
                X