X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS Hearing test question

What is the exact process for a MEPS hearing test?
    I know there are 5 tones, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 cycles per second. The exact requirements are below. I am asking the exact process of the test. What ear does it start with. does the tone start loud and get softer. Does everyone in the box at the same time. Does each play once per ear or twice? Which ear is first? left or right?

My left ear rings so I have trouble with the 3000 cycles tone. Otherwise I am fine. Can you time it so that you can guess the tone?

(1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second of not more than 30 decibels (dB) on the average (each ear), with no individual level greater than 35dB at these frequencies.

(2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second each ear, and 55 dB at 4000 cycles per second each ear.

You will be instructed such things. The biggest problem is breathing. Your breathing will make it hard to hear some of the fainter sounds.

It basically plays the sound, and will keep playing it until you click your button that you hear it.

You will be in with other testers.

There is no way to to give pointers, other than to listen and keep your breathing to a minimum.

The tone will be so soft you question if you hear it. It often times also sounds like it could be another testers tone, but it is not.
    Last edited by sp.copper; March 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=sp.copper]You will be instructed such things. The biggest problem is breathing. Your breathing will make it hard to hear some of the fainter sounds.

It basically plays the sound, and will keep playing it until you click your button that you hear it.

You will be in with other testers.

There is no way to to give pointers, other than to listen and keep your breathing to a minimum.

The tone will be so soft you question if you hear it. It often times also sounds like it could be another testers tone, but it is not.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Does it start louder and then you push the button until you don't hear it or is it the other way around where it starts super soft and then once you hear it and push then button it goes on to the next tone?

Also, does everyone get the sound at the same time or is you first person then second person and so on?

Thanks. I want in very badly and the hearing test has me all freaked out.

Comment

This is not a test you can study for...just do what they instruct you to do when you go in there.

Comment

[QUOTE=outlaw96]Understood. Does it start louder and then you push the button until you don't hear it or is it the other way around where it starts super soft and then once you hear it and push then button it goes on to the next tone?[/QUOTE]
          You don't game the system. It doesn't follow a particular pattern. You just have to click the button when you hear something.

Comment

Yeah, check your breathing. It screwed me over. And daydreaming. PAY ATTENTION.

I got 0's and 5's and then on my last one I was kind of daydreaming and breathing a little heavy and got a 25. :rolleyes:

Comment

Just down listen to anything loud at least 2 days in advance. Put earplugs in to quit things down.

Comment

I have not taken the test yet, but I would imagine that its random for each person as far as timing goes. Probably would have to do with who is administering the test and how the system is setup.

In grade school we did a hearing test where you told the person when you heard the tone. I would imagine if the test is similar that saying you hear a tone when no tone is present, because you are guessing would majorly screw up your test.

Comment

Every post here is correct.

The tones are computer generated and are random. The tones you miss, the computer automatically goes back and re-tests you to validate. No one hears the same tone at the same time. There is no way to cheat on these tests, I have MOBing soldiers try to do it all the time to deploy and not one has succeeded.

I am the hearing conservation officer for my state and trust me, I can spot cheaters and malingerers just by looking at the results.

It definitely helps to be noise free for at least 12 hours before you go and just try your best.

Good luck and thanks for wanting to serve.

Comment

and IMHO this machine is a bunch of crap. I pop and H3 eveytime I set foot in one, but when I go to the audiologist, I hit H2.

Great for those h=who have nothing wrong, but for those of us that do, this is only a screening tool, and should not be the final judge.

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]and IMHO this machine is a bunch of crap. I pop and H3 eveytime I set foot in one, but when I go to the audiologist, I hit H2.

Great for those h=who have nothing wrong, but for those of us that do, this is only a screening tool, and should not be the final judge.[/QUOTE]
                      Yep, I hit an H3 on my first trip too. But after a retest, I got an H2 also. I was shocked to see I don't have perfect hearing! But I'm not 18 anymore :rolleyes: That's ok, it doesn't mean I'm def or anything.

My experience was in the booth it started with the loudest tone and slowly faded. I had trouble with the more quiet tones :( There were a series of 5 tones and they would go off exactly on cue...

beep... (pause 1,2,3)
                      beep... (pause 1,2,3)
                      beep... (pause 1,2,3)
                      beep... (pause 1,2,3)
                      beep... (pause 1,2,3)

The tones would start in my left ear and repeat at different frequencies (3 rounds per ear if I remember correctly). Then the tone switched to the Right ear! It probably is different for other people, but they gave me the identical test the second time. I could not hear some of the faint low pitched tones. But, I still managed to pass after doing the test again. I did better because there was no other people in the booth with me. And also, I was more prepared.
                      Last edited by clyde; March 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Waiver?

Thanks for the updates. I didn't mention that I am also 35. Right now I'm waiting on Med review of my Lasik Surgery docs. Shouldn't be a problem just the normal "hurry up and wait". I should have an answer next week and then can go for my MEPS physical. We'll see what happens. I'm only worried about one of the tones in one of my ears. Regs say I should hear it (3000 cycles per second) at 45db and I hear it at more like 70db but I hear the others fine. Anyone know if there is a limit for a waiver?

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]and IMHO this machine is a bunch of crap. I pop and H3 eveytime I set foot in one, but when I go to the audiologist, I hit H2.

Great for those h=who have nothing wrong, but for those of us that do, this is only a screening tool, and should not be the final judge.[/QUOTE]

Once in, all H2's and H3's get referred to an audiologist where a manual test can be performed which is more accurate. H3's have to have a SPRINT test and a MMRB. But once again, these are for soldiers already in. Initial procurements don't have the luxury to do all that and rightly so.

The MMRB I sat on this past week seperated 6 soldiers for hearing. They were H2 at meps with a waiver and popped a H3 within their first 5 years of service with SPRINT test scores between 90-99%. None were deployment related and all were shocked to get seperated. The army doesn't mess around with hearing. They are finaly learning. The good news was we relassed 10 soldiers as 92g or 42a. And anyone with 12 years or more kept their original mos. I am only posting this to demonstrate what can happen to those of you who think that you are squeaking by with your hearing. You don't go unnoticed for long.

Comment

So I get in with a waiver from H3 to H2, but they can test me and kick me out at any time?

Please explain-

Comment

I hate the hearing part. I hear fine. What messed me up was the black cords hitting each other making a loud noise. lol when you get to reception at basic you will have to do it again. It was funny b/c me and 2 other guys fell asleep taking it we so tired. She opened up the door and told us to wake up.

Comment

Working...
                              X