X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Indiantown Gap

Has anyone been there? I'm going in Apr. for school. Whats the weathe like that time of year? Anything to do? It looks kind of small.

April showers man, not much to do there, the barricks are WWII era.

Oh, and the rifle ranges are crap, unless they fixed them up.

Comment

If you can, you got to check out Gettysburg, that was awesome. I don't remember how close it is to the Gap.

Comment

Expect weather highs between 40-65F on average, periodic rain. Similiar to CO.
        I went there for WLC. It's average for a training facility.

Comment

[QUOTE=richierich]April showers man, not much to do there, the barricks are WWII era.

Oh, and the rifle ranges are crap, unless they fixed them up.[/QUOTE]
          I'm going for Chinook transition school, so I won't be at any ranges.
          Are the barricks the same all over post?

Comment

Agree. Its average. I did AT there in 2003 and back then we stayed in really old wooden barracks. There is a bar in Harrisburg where several of our guys got into a big brawl because one of the civis didn't know who he was messing with.

Unless they've added more since, the only Stryker unit for the Guard is there.

Comment

I spent 6 weeks there last Nov/Dec for UH-60A AQC. It snowed several days during the class. The ranges, tower, some classrooms and the dormitory are on the north side of the airfield. Everything else is on the other side.

Palmyra has the closest Walmart. Be careful driving through Annville. The speed limit drops from 45 to 20 and they setup speed traps as you come into town. Hershey is off the next exit to the southwest. Pottsville and the Yuengling brewery are 40 minutes north. For something strange, you can go see [URL="http://www.pahighways.com/features/centralia.html"]Centralia[/URL] while your up that way.

[B]If you are staying in the dorms[/B], you will have to go grocery shopping and find lots of microwaveable food. Our classroom and simulators were in the building next door and the flightline was only 100 yards away. There was rarely time to go anywhere for lunch, so you end up eating in your room.

Edit: Speaking of snow, there are flurries outside my window in Ft. Rucker right now.
              Last edited by RobLyman; March 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Say hi to my sister, she lives in Camp Hill just outside of Harrisburg, few miles from Hershey Park. I only get to see her a few times a year, tell her I said hey.

Comment

[QUOTE=RobLyman]I spent 6 weeks there last Nov/Dec for UH-60A AQC. It snowed several days during the class. The ranges, tower, some classrooms and the dormitory are on the north side of the airfield. Everything else is on the other side.

Palmyra has the closest Walmart. Be careful driving through Annville. The speed limit drops from 45 to 20 and they setup speed traps as you come into town. Hershey is off the next exit to the southwest. Pottsville and the Yuengling brewery are 40 minutes north. For something strange, you can go see [URL="http://www.pahighways.com/features/centralia.html"]Centralia[/URL] while your up that way.

[B]If you are staying in the dorms[/B], you will have to go grocery shopping and find lots of microwaveable food. Our classroom and simulators were in the building next door and the flightline was only 100 yards away. There was rarely time to go anywhere for lunch, so you end up eating in your room.

Edit: Speaking of snow, there are flurries outside my window in Ft. Rucker right now.[/QUOTE]
                  Good to know, I love yuengling, haven't had it in a long time. Centralia sounds like a good trip.

Comment

[QUOTE=planedr]Good to know, I love yuengling, haven't had it in a long time. Centralia sounds like a good trip.[/QUOTE]

I love it too, they don't sell it in Illinois. :(

Comment

I was ther for 2 day in Oct for pre IET. Weather was nice. The barracks are yes very old. I have a friend out of New York who does WW2 re-inactments. His group stayed there and he said he loved it.

Comment

I'm headed out there on friday for WLC sooo I'll drop a line when I get back and fill you all in my experience :)

Comment

I hate FTIG in case anyone was wondering! I will be there March 27 for WLC. Like I dont spend enough time there for MUTA5's! LOLI have nothing constructive to add over what everyone else said. I just figured i would put in my own personal opinion
                          Last edited by SGTHess; March 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Romo]I'm headed out there on friday for WLC sooo I'll drop a line when I get back and fill you all in my experience :)[/QUOTE]

WLC at FIG wow that sucked!!! Like BCT all over again:mad:

I thought I was going there to learn how to be an NCO, not buff the floor.

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]WLC at FIG wow that sucked!!! Like BCT all over again:mad:

I thought I was going there to learn how to be an NCO, not buff the floor.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh that's awesome to hear 4 days before I leave :rolleyes: I heard it was like a baby basic training, but learning how to teach a class, lead a formation, lead PT...crap like that...guess I was wrong.

I also heard land nav is pass/fail, and if you fail, they send you home...and that it was the hardest test there. I'm so excited I might **** myself :mad: blahhhhhh

When did you go Ski??

Comment

Working...
                              X