X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ft. Indiantown Gap

Does anyone know what the policy/recommendation is on taking laptops for WLC? I have both a personal and DoD issued laptop and was wondering if I should take one and if so, which one.

Comment

[QUOTE=richierich]I love it too, they don't sell it in Illinois. :([/QUOTE]

lol time to IST:cool:

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Ski]WLC at FIG wow that sucked!!! Like BCT all over again:mad:

I thought I was going there to learn how to be an NCO, not buff the floor.[/QUOTE]

LOL somethings never change. Nothing like perfecting "skill set" for GI parties.:D

Comment

[QUOTE=SPC Romo]Ohhhh that's awesome to hear 4 days before I leave :rolleyes: I heard it was like a baby basic training, but learning how to teach a class, lead a formation, lead PT...crap like that...guess I was wrong.

I also heard land nav is pass/fail, and if you fail, they send you home...and that it was the hardest test there. I'm so excited I might **** myself :mad: blahhhhhh

When did you go Ski??[/QUOTE]

According to the Nov. 09 issue of The NCO Journal, there is no more land nav. being taught at WLC.

Comment

Okay you can take your laptop for WLC. pointless though. You will get no wireless internet. I had mine with me and used to it play WoW at night with my crackberry being used as a modem.

For the person who responded on the land nav, this post is dated last year when they were still doing it. You are correct though, there is no longer land nav, a PT test, or leading PT for a grade.

On a side note I signed up for my common core BNCOC today. Gotta love DL!!!! Keeps me off the Gap for two weeks!

Comment

I was just at FTIG no more than a week ago. I didn't get to tour the post much, but I stayed in a Vietnam era barracks and it was an "open" post. No gates, no nothing - one minute you're on a civilian road next thing you know you're on the post.

It's got a ton of ranges.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]Okay you can take your laptop for WLC. pointless though. You will get no wireless internet. I had mine with me and used to it play WoW at night with my crackberry being used as a modem.

For the person who responded on the land nav, this post is dated last year when they were still doing it. You are correct though, there is no longer land nav, a PT test, or leading PT for a grade.

On a side note I signed up for my common core BNCOC today. Gotta love DL!!!! Keeps me off the Gap for two weeks![/QUOTE]

Is there a specific date on this change? I was at WLC in Jan and did all that crap... although.. no PT test. and LOTS of fatbodies :mad:

Comment

[QUOTE=mryan525]Is there a specific date on this change? I was at WLC in Jan and did all that crap... although.. no PT test. and LOTS of fatbodies :mad:[/QUOTE]

When I get to work today if I have time, short day so I may not, I will see if I can find it.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGTHess]When I get to work today if I have time, short day so I may not, I will see if I can find it.[/QUOTE]

I remember cadre talking about the change, I just didn't know it happened yet.. No land nav is crazy.. I also heard they were going back to written tests, which is probably a good move.

Comment

Just returned from my two weeks at "The Gap" and can answer any questions anyone may have. I'm trying to get caught up on work, but, will try to post a bit later.

Comment

So is it true, no land nav or p.t test? Im about to go soon, so i would like to know what it was like overall.

Comment

As I noted during my March 2010 course - no graded APFT. You do PT the first week or so while everyone is "teaching". You are required to have a successful APFT within 30 days (I think it's 30) prior to attending though. That is part of the checklist and must be signed by your unit chain of command.

As for Land Navigation; they were still teaching it when I attended in March but were discussing removing it. Personally, I thought it was great. They have a pretty good system setup for classroom and field training and enough time for practice before the actual test. I'd suggest you either e-mail or call the school to see if they have taken it out if that's a concern for you. I took my own compass that I had issued from my unit before departure and with the practice, had no problems completing the course 1 hour ahead of time - and that's from an old USAF guy who didn't even know how to read a map.

When you prepare your APFT and Skills training, expect to spend some time getting the outline, AAR and any other forms/materials you need. Also the couple of days you will spend as platoon/squad leader will require some extra work. It's all good though.

For me the biggest challenge was the tactical exercises. Being unfamiliar with Army tactics - or really any - it was a huge learning curve for me. I passed; learned a lot and didn't get any of my guys killed so I guess that's a good thing. It was fun though.

Work together as a team/class and you'll do great.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks that helped me a lot more!! I should be good, I was concerned about the land nav, but you said there is plenty of time to practice before the test.

Comment

Alex,

There is plenty of time. You may need to spend some of your study time practicing but it will pay off in the end. I had my unit issue me a compass before I went and got some extra practice time in before I left. Then it was just a matter or marrying up the book smarts with the field training and all fell into place.

When are you going? Good luck!

Comment

F*** the FIG! Lol. I'm at AT at Fort Dix, we were supposed to be at FIG and every LT fought impossibly hard to get it switched. FIG= Horrible. That's just my opinion though:D

Comment

Working...
                                X