X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have astigmatism

I have astigmatism, and I've broken my foot before. Will either keep me out if I decide to join?

The astigmatism is in my left eye. My right eye used to have perfect vision (don't know now since I haven't been to the eyedoc in forever). I run about a mile every other day, and my foot appears to be fine (this injury is pretty old). A doc would notice that my toes don't curl down as easily as they curl up.

As long as I could run on it, I should be straight right?

The astigmatism is my primary worry. I'm not going to lie, it is blurry as heck. I've heard that you can get in with astigmatisms, but your jobs are limited. I really wouldn't want to trade one desk job for another. Some excitement every now and again is what I'm looking for.

I know a doc will know more, but I thought on the offhand some of you guys might have had similar experiences before you joined. Breaks and astigmatisms are not uncommon.

Thanks for the info fellas, I appreciate it. And If I don't get in, I appreciate your service.

Edit: just looked under the search function and low and behold, the answers are there. It appears that if your enlisted, you can get by with one eye being good, as long as the other isn't atrocious. So here's hoping that my bad eye doesn't offset my good eye.
    Last edited by Kimarhi; February 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM.

You should go see an Optometrist/Opthamologist ASAP. MEPS will be concerned with your current vision, correctibility, as well as degree of astigmatism. [B]Anything over 3 diopters according to the AR 40-501 is disqualifying.[/B]

As for your foot. Make sure you provide all of the medical documentation from the injury.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kimarhi]As long as I could run on it, I should be straight right?[/QUOTE]

You don't run at MEPS as part of your physical. So even if you can do 200 push up, 200 sit ups and two miles in 11:00, it doesn't matter.

Comment

I saw a cross-eyed soldier today.

Comment

[QUOTE=WO1 Quinones]I saw a cross-eyed soldier today.[/QUOTE]
          Maybe you're better looking that way! LOL j/k
          FYI, that's not an astigmatism, but I'm sure you knew that. :rolleyes:

Comment

[quote=QuantumRN]Maybe you're better looking that way! LOL j/k
            FYI, that's not an astigmatism, but I'm sure you knew that. :rolleyes:[/quote]

yawn lol. of course I know what an astigmatism is. Its just about the same knowledge of your general army knowledge, ruck marching and combat experience. :rolleyes:

ouch, I have a sty in my eye lol. My point was that if I saw a soldier with that condition serving, then I didnt see a problem with astigmatism.

Comment

[QUOTE=QuantumRN]You should go see an Optometrist/Opthamologist ASAP. MEPS will be concerned with your current vision, correctibility, as well as degree of astigmatism. [B]Anything over 3 diopters according to the AR 40-501 is disqualifying.[/B]

As for your foot. Make sure you provide all of the medical documentation from the injury.[/QUOTE]

It happened on the job. I think my company kept all the paperwork. I have no doubt they'd fork it over, if they could find it.

What does one do if they can't find it? Hope for the best?

Comment

[QUOTE=Kimarhi]It happened on the job. I think my company kept all the paperwork. I have no doubt they'd fork it over, if they could find it.

What does one do if they can't find it? Hope for the best?[/QUOTE]

Did you mark yes to a medical condition related to the injury? If so, then yes, you will need it. If not, they may or may not notice it during the ortho room exercises and physical examination.

Comment

[QUOTE=QuantumRN]Did you mark yes to a medical condition related to the injury? If so, then yes, you will need it. If not, they may or may not notice it during the ortho room exercises and physical examination.[/QUOTE]

Truthfully, I don't know what I signed. This was in 05, I was two years out of HS when it happened, and not the sharpest tack in the drawer.

It wasn't related to any medical condition though. The forks of a forklift came down and fractured bones on the top of my foot. So, looking back I doubt I would've put it was a medical condition. Because if I was suppossed to put that, I didn't understand that I was.

I almost think the nurse filled out that stuff, because my foot looked like a pancake with toes on it. Old nurse ladies always watch out for me.

Comment

I meant on your medical enlistment forms, the 2807 and 2808.

Comment

[QUOTE=QuantumRN]I meant on your medical enlistment forms, the 2807 and 2808.[/QUOTE]

Naw man. I'm in college at WKU now. I probably won't even talk to a recruiter until spring break, but more likely summer. I just wanted to talk to you guys here because you actually HAVE a forum. Every other place tries to get you so sign up before you can actually meet or talk to anybody thats in the service.

The recruiter will probably be the last person I talk too. Because then I'll have some idea of what I want to do, etc.

Comment

If that's the case, then you have more time to get the medical documents needed for MEPS.

Good job on doing your research! Good luck with school!

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X