X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Deployment

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how often, or what are the chances of being deployed if i join the guard. I am 30 yrs old and have 2 young children. I am very interested in joining but not sure if i would be willing to be away from them for more than a few months if i had to. Thanks for any advice.

[QUOTE=dabaaf]I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how often, or what are the chances of being deployed if i join the guard. I am 30 yrs old and have 2 young children. I am very interested in joining but not sure if i would be willing to be away from them for more than a few months if i had to. Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

There is always a chance. Does your state have national emergencies or is there war somewhere in the world.

Comment

If you aren't willing, then its probably best to not join. Deployments are a fact of life in the Guard, and there is absolutely no guarantee that you wouldn't be deployed at some point.

Comment

I am 35 with 5 kids, and have been looking into this as well. From everything I've learned, the number one thing is that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to deployments. Chances are over the course of your 8 year enlistment you will be deployed once, maybe twice. For about a year each deployment. You may never be deployed. No real way to say for sure. Best way to approach it is to decide whether or not the Guard is for you and your family, with the assumption that you WILL deploy for about a year, at least once, maybe twice. This is how I have approached it.

Comment

[QUOTE=mackilvane]If you aren't willing, then its probably best to not join. Deployments are a fact of life in the Guard, and there is absolutely no guarantee that you wouldn't be deployed at some point.[/QUOTE]

But I want the bonus money, SLRP, MGIB, and TRICARE. You mean I may have to deploy, run a convoy, or engage the enemy? Gee let me think about that for a moment....:mad: :rolleyes:

Comment

[B]EXPECT to be deployed, because you WILL. [/B]

If you look at it from ANY other perspective, you're just lying to yourself.

Comment

[QUOTE=dabaaf]I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how often, or what are the chances of being deployed if i join the guard. I am 30 yrs old and have 2 young children. I am very interested in joining but not sure if i would be willing to be away from them for more than a few months if i had to. Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

Your training alone will be "more than a few months." The shortest ones are four months, some as long as one year. Deployments are often 12-15 months or, in one rare case, 22 months. 'Dedicated' summed it up nicely.

Between training and deployment (if all goes well), I'll be gone 17 of the next 19 months.

Comment

If you're not sure of shoving your stuff in a duffel bag and saying goodbye for a year at a time, then right now the National Guard is probably not in your best interest. Deployments are not guaranteed, but the eligibility for being deployed is a fact of life when you return from training and you have to be ready to go when the orders come in.

Personally, would I jump at the chance to deploy? Probably not. You're not going to see my name on a deployment volunteer list anytime soon. :D I like being at home with my family and cherish every day with them.

But when the time comes that my unit is called, I'll be there on time getting on the bus to leave, and I'll be there when my unit gets called to help out with wildfires/flooding/tornadoes/hurricanes (not to mention that we are long overdue for a major earthquake for our fault line - gotta love Texas and being natural disaster-prone).

If you want to serve, but don't want to deploy, volunteer! Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, hospitals, nursing homes, libraries, your state Defense Force, etc.

Comment

These questions have always bugged me. Especially when I was at Marine Forces Reserve during OIF I. We got all the CO's (conscientious objector)from the reserve. It's a volunteer force. You joined the military, not the cub scouts. Enjoy the drill pay and GI Bill but when your called up to fight suddenly you forgot the reserves/guard actually went to war. Join thinking not if you will go, but when.

Comment

This forum needs a thank you button.

Comment

No question is a stupid question! This forum exists for questions. Its not a hangout forum its a recruitment forum. Id much rather people ask then join and then find out the Guard is not to their liking. This is one of the most difficult decisions people will make, ask any and every question possible!!!

Comment

wondering if you'll be deployed in the Guard is like buying a lottery ticket..it's all about chance...
                        For me having two little ones and being married I had to take a step back and look at the big picture.
                        Being away is no fun; but being involved in something far greater then myself and having that kind of honor..it was worth it. Plus it's not like the Army isn't taking care of it's soldiers and their families...

Comment

This war is not going to end anytime soon. So look forward to being deployed if your joining. Especially with North Korea starting **** now.

Comment

The Army exists to defend the nation and its interests. Its primary aim is to achieve this defense through deterrence-posing the realistic threat of lethal action should it become necessary. The Army's strategic function is to provide trained and ready forces to support the combatant commanders."(FM 100-1 The Army, pg11

This in no way is directed to the original poster, its just a general statement. So if you arent all for deployment (not to say you have to WANT it, but c'mon) or being away, what part of the Army is it you want to be in? That IS what being in the army is about.
                            Last edited by WIBecky74; February 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=WIBecky74]The Army exists to defend the nation and its interests. Its primary aim is to achieve this defense through deterrence-posing the realistic threat of lethal action should it become necessary. The Army's strategic function is to provide trained and ready forces to support the combatant commanders."(FM 100-1 The Army, pg11

This in no way is directed to the original poster, its just a general statement. So if you arent all for deployment (not to say you have to WANT it, but c'mon) or being away, what part of the Army is it you want to be in? That IS what being in the army is about.[/QUOTE]

all I can say....Hooah!

Comment

Working...
                              X