Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people here would really die for their country? We should have a poll on this.

Comment

[QUOTE=Leo925]How many people here would really die for their country? We should have a poll on this.[/QUOTE]

No, we shouldn't. A bunch of keyboard warriors (myself included) replying "yes" doesn't prove anything and, in my opinion, is pretty offensive to those who have served, lost friends, were injured, etc. in combat.

Comment

There's a difference between volunteering to be ready to die for your country and accepting the fact that death is inevitable, and knowing that is the risk you take when volunteering for the military.

Comment

Hopefully training will help reducing the risk, but nothing can eliminate it.

Comment

[QUOTE=plano2001]There's a difference between volunteering to be ready to die for your country and accepting the fact that death is inevitable, and knowing that is the risk you take when volunteering for the military.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'd much rather live for my country than die for it ;) However I accept the fact that I can die crossing the street tomorrow or die on a battlefield a thousand miles away. Thats all I'll really say on that, to each their own on how they decide to deal with inevitability of death.

That said its really not an appropriate topic/poll any more so than asking a vet if he or she has killed someone before. That and the whole arm chair warrior thing :p

Comment

[QUOTE=dabaaf]I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how often, or what are the chances of being deployed if i join the guard. I am 30 yrs old and have 2 young children. I am very interested in joining but not sure if i would be willing to be away from them for more than a few months if i had to. Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

If you choose to enlist just plan on being deployed. You would be giving yourself and your family false hope if you set the expectation that you won't be deployed. Of course some MOS's are more susceptible to deployment than others!

Believe me, I know what your going through! I'm 26, will be married soon, and have a 2 1/2 year old son. I'm not at all looking foward to the time away from my family. I have accepted it though, and I have no doubts that I'm making the right decision in joining the guard! All I can do is make sure that my family is finacially taken care of if and when I get deployed and do everything I can to get back to them!

Good luck with your decision!
              Last edited by fifty1fifty09; February 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Re: Guard Deployment

[QUOTE=Leo925]How many people here would really die for their country? We should have a poll on this.[/QUOTE]

Those of us who have had or ***** in the grass dont die for our country or its politics but for each other we answer to a higher authority friend.

Comment

I thought the idea was to make the enemy die for his country instead:D

Comment

[QUOTE=PFC Lowe]I thought the idea was to make the enemy die for his country instead:D[/QUOTE]

Thats what Gen Patton said..."The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.:D

Could you imagine a leader like that now days? He would be rolling over in his grave with 9/11, WOT, and the FT Hood incident w/ Maj Hasan.

Comment

Really??? A post that will be a year old in 2 weeks, was brought back to life today? And the last time the 5150 guy was on the board was 11mo ago. I am proud that you did take the effort to look that far back. Zombie Posts, they never die..:D

Comment

[QUOTE]Zombie Posts, they never die..[/QUOTE]

Look, he's a "twitcher". :eek:

Comment

[QUOTE=7011USMC]Look, he's a "twitcher". :eek:[/QUOTE]

that movie cracks me up.

Comment

I'm telling you, it's always the FNGs with less than 10 posts. They know how to dig ;)

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]I'm telling you, it's always the FNGs with less than 10 posts. They know how to dig ;)[/QUOTE]

Come on now...he would have only had to dig to about page 75 or so out the of the 270 some pages on here.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord]I'm telling you, it's always the FNGs with less than 10 posts. They know how to dig ;)[/QUOTE]
                                digging beats the inevitable question being asked again: "do they let us do laundry at basic?"

Comment

Working...
                                X