X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple traffic violation waiver

my recruiter at first told me i wasnt eligible to join the Guard because i had to many traffic violations, then after some questioning i found out that i would need a waiver.
    I have 19 traffic violations and i have been told 20 is the cut off.
    So what your telling me is that i cant fight for my country because of traffic violations. Really???? Really??? You're kiddin right?

none of these are DUI either FYI

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also how long would a taffic violation waiver take to get approved?

Thanks for any input.

[QUOTE=martindb9]
    So what your telling me is that i cant fight for my country because of traffic violations. Really????[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

[QUOTE=martindb9]Really???[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=martindb9]You're kiddin right?[/QUOTE]

No.

[QUOTE=martindb9]Does anyone have any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

I thought that I was the most lead-footed driver in history (with 6 tickets over 12 years). I didn't need a waiver to enlist, but did require one for security clearance.

As I see it evaluating myself from the Army's perspective, my inability to follow posted speed limit signs is an indication that I could disobey particular laws. That is a risky characteristic. It also shows that I could be immune to discipline if I continue to break the law after receiving multiple citations and fines. I understand this logic completely.

[QUOTE=martindb9]Also how long would a taffic violation waiver take to get approved?[/QUOTE]

No way to know, but given the Guard's strong start to the recruiting year, it could be longer than in the past.

Comment

I completely agree with what chd stated above. Risk management is a huge component in the Army Safety program, and multiple traffic violations is a red flag. Most times, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The last thing the Army wants is to add another "loss" to their books.

As for a possible waiver, all you can do is try. The best case scenario would be that you have a good clean driving record for the past couple of years that can demonstrate a maturity now, that you didn't have prior. In some states, like mine, traffic violations are misdemeanors. If I went for a security clearance with 19 misdemeanors.... that would NOT be good. A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor even if it is a traffic violation. Hopefully, your state is not as strict.

Just remember that everyone makes mistakes. Some people learn form them, and some don't. Your desire to serve is commendable, and I only wish you the best of luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=martindb9]my recruiter at first told me i wasnt eligible to join the Guard because i had to many traffic violations, then after some questioning i found out that i would need a waiver.
        So what your telling me is that i cant fight for my country because of traffic violations. Really???? Really??? You're kiddin right?

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

Just because you are eligible for a waiver, that does not mean that one will be granted to you. Depending on the need of your state, your AG may just decide to pass on you and the possible liability that you could be to the guard. When the guard fills up, they can choose to be picky with what waivers they allow in.

Comment

Sec Clr

chd, what do you mean about you required a waiver for a security clearance? Never heard of that, please clarify.

[QUOTE=chd] I thought that I was the most lead-footed driver in history (with 6 tickets over 12 years). I didn't need a waiver to enlist, but did require one for security clearance.[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=richierich]chd, what do you mean about you required a waiver for a security clearance? Never heard of that, please clarify.[/QUOTE]

Don't know to be honest, but the security investigator told the career counselor and my recruiter that "he'll need a waiver but it won't be a problem; we do it all the time."

Hopefully, it works out. Otherwise, they'll pluck me out of 31B OSUT and send me off to learn how to fire some big guns with the 13-series folks (which wouldn't be so bad).

Comment

[QUOTE=martindb9]my recruiter at first told me i wasnt eligible to join the Guard because i had to many traffic violations, then after some questioning i found out that i would need a waiver.

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

How old are you???

Comment

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "I can't believe the NG is getting antsy over some traffic tickets."

Then I read your actual post ... NINETEEN!!!!! Dude!!!!! That's a LOT of traffic tickets!!!!!

I mean after 15 traffic tickets you don't say to yourself, "Hey, maybe I'll slow down a bit."

Ok ... now that is off my chest, good luck to you and I hope it works out. If so, please be sure to wake up on time for drill so you can obey the speed limit on your way in ;)

Comment

I can see him in the gunner position but not driver.:D

Comment

I would hate to see the Auto Insurance premium! In my old state, I think they suspended your license after so many violations.

Comment

Yup 19
                      I understand the thought process of me being a possible risk, but thats only if you look at that part of my life. I'm also a college graduate with dean's list merits so discipline isnt an issue the real issue boils down to money
                      Im 29 and to clarify a little more, it's not 19 individual stops, it's 4 or 5 violations in one stop in which some are later dropped when i went to court. (ex. driving under suspended license, no ins, no reg, seatbelt, speeding) that's 5 in one stop and then when i go to court the fines are dropped because in the meantime i have reinstated DL, ins, reg. i probably have 3 speeding tickets in 5 yrs

insurance cost are outragious for me who has never been in an accident over 3 grand a year.... money gets tight some bills dont get paid, gotta drive to make money, vicious circle

last violation was over a year ago by the way and im in South Carolina
                      Last edited by martindb9; February 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

[quote=martindb9]Yup 19
                        I understand the thought process of me being a possible risk, but thats only if you look at that part of my life. I'm also a college graduate with dean's list merits so discipline isnt an issue the real issue boils down to money
                        Im 29 and to clarify a little more, it's not 19 individual stops, it's 4 or 5 violations in one stop in which some are later dropped when i went to court. (ex. driving under suspended license, no ins, no reg, seatbelt, speeding) that's 5 in one stop and then when i go to court the fines are dropped because in the meantime i have reinstated DL, ins, reg. i probably have 3 speeding tickets in 5 yrs

insurance cost are outragious for me who has never been in an accident over 3 grand a year.... money gets tight some bills dont get paid, gotta drive to make money, vicious circle

last violation was over a year ago by the way[/quote]

Martini, like the RSPNCO stated, a waiver is not a guarantee. It will be a moral waiver and your judgement as a driver comes into question. That is all. Just remain on the path of driving like an old lady and time shall heal all wounds. A violation of the law is just that no matter what it is.

Comment

I had 14 law violations, 12 of which are traffic violations, but as the man said, not all are moving violations and some are pretty petty. For instance I have been issued tickets for my license plate not being completely visible, having my turn signal on for 30 ft, not making a complete stop at a stop sign, use of private property to avoid traffic, not having current registration. I have run into a lot of bad cops, my recruiter who used to be a cop, saw some of these and shook his head. I had a felony that was dropped, 2 misdemenors that were dropped, 1 misdemenor for criminal damage, and 12 traffic tickets in the 13 years i have been driving. Only 7 are "moving violations" but still have to account for all of them. My recruiter is optimistic it will go thru. My whole body of work kind of speaks for itself. All my arrests occured between during 1 year, which was 10 years ago, and 9 of my 12 tickets all happened before 2003.

So I have been a pretty good citizen for the last 10 years, I raised some **** and made some bad decisions, but I also ran into some officers who were not very ethical. I once got arrested (later dropped) for telling a cop I needed to know why my friend was getting arrested because I was responsible for him being only 16( I was 18) and that I would have to answer to his parents. What he did had nothing to do with me, and the cops told me to piss off I got a little loud with them and they pretzel arm bared me and arrested me for disorderly conduct. Then preceded to tell his parents when they picked him up I was a gang member and to make there son to stay away from me! There are bad cops out there....

Anyway, good luck with your waiver, I got 2 I am waiting on, but my recruiter has been pretty staight forward with me and is very optimistic about them. It probably helps I wrote some good letters to help my cause, but nothings guranteed and I am prepared for the worst. I may try active duty instead of the guard if they dont, 5 years ago I got a moral waiver for the army just by doing a face to face with his commanding officer, but my recruiter sucked and stopped calling me after I needed a medical waiver.
                          Last edited by andrewg; February 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

i see that one guy on here has 6 traffic tickets, another has 19 and another has 12. At what point does someone need a moral waiver to get in if they only have traffic tickets, 7,9,10 or what? I thought i read somewhere that it was 6 or more then you need a waiver but im probably wrong since someone on here got in with 6.

Comment

[QUOTE=jaymack10]i see that one guy on here has 6 traffic tickets, another has 19 and another has 12. At what point does someone need a moral waiver to get in if they only have traffic tickets, 7,9,10 or what? I thought i read somewhere that it was 6 or more then you need a waiver but im probably wrong since someone on here got in with 6.[/QUOTE]

12....but there is a 10 character min to reply to this thread;)

Comment

Working...
                              X