X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS's & Combat Deployments

I understand that if I were to join the NG that I will likely see at least one deployment. How does your MOS effect your role during deployment? I guess what Im getting at is, what is the likelihood of seeing actual combat if you sign up for a non-combat MOS? For instance, a maintenancec MOS. Do these guys also go out on patrol during deployment? Just trying to get some facts.

A mech. will be in the rear with supply and all the other combat support MOS's. You will see combat based on alot of things. The higher your rank and the number of soldiers with your MOS can affect this. My friend is a cook and he only cooked one day in iraq.The rest of the time he was on patrols. In the army youll learn real quick there is no such thing as a MOS where you will never see combat. Unless you wanna be a civilian luch server. They always need help :)

Comment

[QUOTE=Dedicated]I understand that if I were to join the NG that I will likely see at least one deployment. How does your MOS effect your role during deployment? I guess what Im getting at is, what is the likelihood of seeing actual combat if you sign up for a non-combat MOS? For instance, a maintenancec MOS. Do these guys also go out on patrol during deployment? Just trying to get some facts.[/QUOTE]
      EVERY soldier goes through Basic Combat Training because any soldier may be in combat regardless of MOS. Even a mechanic may have to leave they security of a FOB or post to fix a vehicle. You have got to be able to defend yourself and fellow soldiers.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to dodge combat patrols, I just want to know the facts before I ultimately decide. Somehow the impression gets left that certain MOS's are more likely to see combat, and certain ones are not. I have a great recruiter, but you arent going to get the unvarnished truth from a recruiter like you will on here.

Comment

Kind of depends on your definition of "combat." Going on a convoy in a dangerous area where there is the real possibility of an IED attack or ambush? Just about any MOS might require you to do this.

Getting on a chopper and flying into the mountains of Afghanistan to crawl around on the rocks chasing Taliban around? I would venture that's probably not going to happen to a cook, but it might to an 11 series.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dedicated]Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to dodge combat patrols, I just want to know the facts before I ultimately decide. Somehow the impression gets left that certain MOS's are more likely to see combat, and certain ones are not. I have a great recruiter, but you arent going to get the unvarnished truth from a recruiter like you will on here.[/QUOTE]
            That's not necessarilly true. Most of the guard recruiters I know are very honest and will tell you upfront about the stuff you are interested in. The good and bad. I'd say about 98% of all recruiters are truthful, but there are a few bad apples unfortunately. Just do your research. ASK QUESTIONS! The only stupid question is the one never asked. Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=kswat07]That's not necessarilly true. Most of the guard recruiters I know are very honest and will tell you upfront about the stuff you are interested in. The good and bad. I'd say about 98% of all recruiters are truthful, but there are a few bad apples unfortunately. Just do your research. ASK QUESTIONS! The only stupid question is the one never asked. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
              Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that I wasnt getting the truth out of my recruiter. I am very pleased with my recruiter, everything he has told me has completely checked out so far. What I mean to say is that the responses here are going to be more raw, and from more perspectives.

Comment

[QUOTE=i82much]Kind of depends on your definition of "combat." Going on a convoy in a dangerous area where there is the real possibility of an IED attack or ambush? Just about any MOS might require you to do this.

Getting on a chopper and flying into the mountains of Afghanistan to crawl around on the rocks chasing Taliban around? I would venture that's probably not going to happen to a cook, but it might to an 11 series.[/QUOTE]
                Thanks. Makes sense.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dedicated]Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that I wasnt getting the truth out of my recruiter. I am very pleased with my recruiter, everything he has told me has completely checked out so far. What I mean to say is that the responses here are going to be more raw, and from more perspectives.[/QUOTE]
                  Great to hear that you are pleased.:) Yes you will probably get more blunt answers here. Hope you find what you're looking for in the guard.

Comment

Regardless of your MOS, you could very well get stuck playing the MP role.

Comment

Another deployment question: how soon after completion of training can I expect to be facing deployment? For instance, say I enlist and complete my training by this fall. Is it possible for me to be deployed the following year? Are there guidelines for this kind of stuff? Or is it just....whenever they send you, that's that.

Comment

You could face deployment right after training. It will just depend on if your unit is deploying and if everyone is going or not. Most of the time you will get a warning like 6 months or so, that way you can spend time with family and such.

Comment

Are there limitations to how often you can expect deployment? I was given the impression by a new guard member that there are limitations, and that over the course of an 8 year commitment, you can expect one or two deployments, but probably not more than that. How true is this?

Comment

Its a cycle your in iraq or afganistan for so long, and then you get a "rest" period for son long and then you can be deployed again. Im not sure what the time length is right now, mainly because I never asked. Im sure a recruiter or the WO will post with more details.

Comment

The Guard is trying their best to keep units at home for 2-3 years before their next mission upon completing a tour.

However, anything is possible. I'd say there is a 90% chance you will deploy somewhere at least once in your 8 years in this day an age.

Comment

Working...
                              X