X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know.

Recruiters should take recruits to field trips....some of them need it lol. During mine, there was a girl next to me whispering "What the F**k" repeatedly during the test....literally all 4 hours, or whatever it was.

Comment

[QUOTE=jayl314]Does anyone have any tips or stategies for taking the test? My son scored a 44 and is going to take it again real soon. This time he is using a prep book. Six points seems like a small margin to make up. Is that the case?[/QUOTE]

Test book is good, particularly for the math elements which can be learned in a few sessions.

Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) - study
      Mathematics Knowledge (MK) - study
      Paragraph Comprehension (PC) - slow down and read more thoroughly
      Word Knowledge (WK) - not much that one can do besides catch up on years of reading

These are the only ones that matter. Tell him to focus here and relax on the others. No need to stress for three full hours.

I know exactly which questions that I got wrong after I took it. Had I known the definition of the last three words in the WK section, my score would have gone up 4 or 5 points by my math... so there should be NO problem improving by 6 points with some decent work.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]
        Word Knowledge (WK) - not much that one can do besides catch up on years of reading
        [/QUOTE]

SAT Prep would help with the word knowledge.
        He doesn't even need to buy any of these books. They have them at libraries and bookstores. Sit down at a books-a-million, have a starbucks and pick up on of the SAT prep books for an hour and go over the words. The next time, take a look at the ASVAB study book.

After he feels like he's got enough studying done. Take Practice tests over and over until he is confident and is scoring well on those. There is no point in him going to take it again in a short time if he isn't confident, its just a waste of 4 hours. Just make sure he is ready and confident and well rested!

Comment

Finally subject i am well versed in. I began taking the ASVAB my freshman year of high school to get out of class and was hounded by recruiters. I took it every year in high school and my highest score was 86. I took it again in boot camp as part of the test dummies (in 1989) for the new computerized version you see today. I recently took the ASVAB again to reenlist and scored very well. The secret to the ASVAB is the same for every other high stress test. Eat a good breakfast, get plenty of sleep the night before, go into it as stress free as possible. Before you get to the point of going to take the test study up, the practice tests are nice because they help you to learn how to reason through how they want you to answer the questions. Read each question then read all the answers, read the question again then give the correct answer. All those basic test taking skills apply to the ASVAB. Just following those should help raise the score.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]Test book is good, particularly for the math elements which can be learned in a few sessions.

Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) - study
            Mathematics Knowledge (MK) - study
            Paragraph Comprehension (PC) - slow down and read more thoroughly

These are the only ones that matter. Tell him to focus here and relax on the others. No need to stress for three full hours.

I know exactly which questions that I got wrong after I took it. Had I known the definition of the last three words in the WK section, my score would have gone up 4 or 5 points by my math... so there should be NO problem improving by 6 points with some decent work.[/QUOTE]

Check out this stud!!!
            Perfect answer.
            Your going to make a great recruiter.

Comment

[QUOTE=arb07d]SAT Prep would help with the word knowledge.
              He doesn't even need to buy any of these books. They have them at libraries and bookstores. Sit down at a books-a-million, have a starbucks and pick up on of the SAT prep books for an hour and go over the words. The next time, take a look at the ASVAB study book.

After he feels like he's got enough studying done. Take Practice tests over and over until he is confident and is scoring well on those. There is no point in him going to take it again in a short time if he isn't confident, its just a waste of 4 hours. Just make sure he is ready and confident and well rested![/QUOTE]

While true...

My point was mostly on efficiency. As it pertains to the ASVAB, and most math/English-content standardized tests, it's easier to improve a lower math score, from personal experiences and teaching SAT prep.

Memorize and practice math formulas, rules, laws, etc. You could learn 1000 vocabularly words and maybe only see one or two on the test.

If I fell 6 points short and was equally deficient in all categories, I'd work my hardest in math, slow down on comprehension and lastly work on vocabulary. If you buy an ASVAB prep book, review the math sections twice for every time that you review the WK/PC ones.

Before the calls come out to "reach for the stars" and "you should try to far exceed the minimum standards," the mother is asking how her son can get a 50.

And who has money to buy a Starbucks nowadays? ;)

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]While true...

My point was mostly on efficiency. As it pertains to the ASVAB, and most math/English-content standardized tests, it's easier to improve a lower math score, from personal experiences and teaching SAT prep.

Memorize and practice math formulas, rules, laws, etc. You could learn 1000 vocabularly words and maybe only see one or two on the test.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, Math is most important. I was just saying that it's a good way to "brush up" rather than 'catch up on years of reading' lol

[QUOTE=chd]And who has money to buy a Starbucks nowadays? ;)[/QUOTE]
                I think Starbucks stole my soul...I have at least one a day. But I just get coffee with milk and hazelnut pumps. Not all that fancy latte cappuccino with whipped cream chocolate drizzle and vanilla sprinkle nonsense lol.

...i should buy a coffee maker

Comment

[QUOTE=arb07d]I think Starbucks stole my soul...I have at least one a day. But I just get coffee with milk and hazelnut pumps. Not all that fancy latte cappuccino with whipped cream chocolate drizzle and vanilla sprinkle nonsense lol.

...i should buy a coffee maker[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that they had regular coffee. Good to know (in case every one of the 10,000 Dunkin Donuts in New England simultaneously blow up).
                  Last edited by chd; January 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]I didn't even know that they had regular coffee. Good to know (in case every one of the 10,000 Dunkin Donuts in New England simultaneously blows up).[/QUOTE]

If we had a dunkin donuts here, that is where I would be. Sadly, Tallahassee only has the Baskin Robins... and only 1 of those. but there are like 4 starbucks locations within 2 miles lol

Comment

[QUOTE=arb07d]I know.

Recruiters should take recruits to field trips....some of them need it lol. During mine, there was a girl next to me whispering "What the F**k" repeatedly during the test....literally all 4 hours, or whatever it was.[/QUOTE]

This is why I'm so glad I took the electronic version. You can work at your own pace. I was in-and-out in a little over 90 minutes. Funny thing is I was hoping for the paper version.

Comment

[QUOTE=ctfrasier]This is why I'm so glad I took the electronic version. You can work at your own pace. I was in-and-out in a little over 90 minutes. Funny thing is I was hoping for the paper version.[/QUOTE]

I took the paper version and thought it was fine. I completed all my sections in time, some with extra time to go back and check answers.

Comment

Thanks.

Great advice. Thank you all.

Comment

whohoo just got my asvab scores back and it was 88 and line scores were between 116 and 129 pretty much gives me free reign of what i can do!!

Comment

I took my ASVAB test about a month ago, and got a blasted 47...was really demoralized, then a friend (who rode up with me with the recruiter) told me something very important.
                              (By the way, he got a 49 and was bumbed as well)

"If you want something in life, you really want it...you work hard, you have a burning feeling that you either want to extinguish, or rip out of your gut. Either way, that feeling alone is what helps you accomplish the goal you seek."

It's true, at that moment I was picked up, and given a new goal... a mission if you will. I WAS going to be a National Guardsmen of the United States if it Killed me!

Me and him are going back next month. The 5th to be exact. But for anyone who is taking the test over, or is stressing it, take a breath, realize your goal, and kick that test's a$$ all the way back to the freakin person who made it and tell them "TOO EASY"!!!!!

HOOAH! :D

Comment

I got a 44 and retake it the sixth. Where are you taking it?

Comment

Working...
                                X