X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• average ASVAB score

Just curious as to what an average ASVAB score is? What is a good score or a really bad score.

I really ask because I'm nosey and curious but also because I know one person who scored a 4. My son said "mom, you get a 4 for getting your name right" So did this guy just like fail everything on it.

I also know a kid that ended up getting a waiver because he couldn't get a 21.

I've also heard of scores from 47, 67, 82 and all in between there.

Your "score" on the ASVAB is a percentile based on how you fall on average compared to other test-takers. Percentile goes up to 99%.

So an average would be 50.

Comment

[QUOTE=plano2001]Your "score" on the ASVAB is a percentile based on how you fall on average compared to other test-takers. Percentile goes up to 99%.

So an average would be 50.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered why 99% is the 'top mark', why not 100% ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Spr Steve]I've always wondered why 99% is the 'top mark', why not 100% ?[/QUOTE]

Because, at any given time, only one person in the world would have a score of 100.

Comment

If you get every single question right you still wouldn't get 100%, right ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Spr Steve]If you get every single question right you still wouldn't get 100%, right ?[/QUOTE]

No, because it's supposed to be a percentile score. So a 59 is better than or equal to 59% of the people that took it.

That's why a 100 is impossible under the system - you cannot score better or equal to 100% of the people that took it.

It's based on a random sampling of 18- to 23-year-olds who took the ASVAB in 1997. Those same people took it again in 2004, which is the data set that the current system utilizes.

Comment

[QUOTE=chd]No, because it's supposed to be a percentile score. So a 59 is better than or equal to 59% of the people that took it.

That's why a 100 is impossible under the system - you cannot score better or equal to 100% of the people that took it.

It's based on a random sampling of 18- to 23-year-olds who took the ASVAB in 1997. Those same people took it again in 2004, which is the data set that the current system utilizes.[/QUOTE]

Cheers, very interesting.

Comment

Does anyone have any tips or stategies for taking the test? My son scored a 44 and is going to take it again real soon. This time he is using a prep book. Six points seems like a small margin to make up. Is that the case?

Comment

[QUOTE=jayl314]Does anyone have any tips or stategies for taking the test? My son scored a 44 and is going to take it again real soon. This time he is using a prep book. Six points seems like a small margin to make up. Is that the case?[/QUOTE]

Tell him to aim for more than just a 50. Use the prep book, take the practice tests.

DO NOT AIM FOR THE BARE MINIMUM

Comment

[QUOTE=jayl314]Does anyone have any tips or stategies for taking the test? My son scored a 44 and is going to take it again real soon. This time he is using a prep book. Six points seems like a small margin to make up. Is that the case?[/QUOTE]

Study the what was on the pre-test.

Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), and Word Knowledge (WK).

When MEPS computes the scores one of the four here will be part of scoring of the line score.

For some reason thier is a misunderstanding of the ASVAB score. Yes if you get a 50 you will get the kicker.
                    What I would be worried about is my line scores to get the job you want.
                    Last edited by Recruiter yosis; January 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Recruiter yosis]
                      What I would be worried about is my line scores to get the job you want.[/QUOTE]

He needed a 90 and he got a 120 (give or take).

Comment

[QUOTE=arb07d]Tell him to aim for more than just a 50. Use the prep book, take the practice tests.

DO NOT AIM FOR THE BARE MINIMUM[/QUOTE]

Understood. The plan obviously is to score as high as possible but at least 51 the 44 didn't cut it.

Comment

Take him out to your car and show him a few things.
                          Give him a Geometry book.
                          Give him those lil blocks that kids use and tell him to make the triangle fit thru the triangle hole.

I wish I could hav edone that before the asvab...but my asvab score wasnt that bad.

Comment

[QUOTE=Teuvil]
                            Give him those lil blocks that kids use and tell him to make the triangle fit thru the triangle hole.

I wish I could hav edone that before the asvab...but my asvab score wasnt that bad.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could have spent the day at toys r us too

Comment

Hey, there was a section entirely on it. And it's Kids R Us.

Comment

Working...
                              X